Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/forum/public_html/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Digital Projector - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Digital Projector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Digital Projector

This is a fact finding type question which hopefully some members can assist in answering.

My photography club's projector used for projected images competitions is nearing its' "life" and there have recently been comments made during some competitions that perhaps what is being projected is not as good as what is being displayed on the laptop to which the projector is attached.
    Before you immediately think... "calibration" the projector and the laptop have been calibrated using the club's color munki and the person doing the calibration really knows what he is doing so calibration can be ruled out.

So the questions.....

What brand of projectors are other clubs using, what software are they using to project the images (the software must have the functionality to be able to mark the scores on the images at the time the judge "announces" the score), what is the format of the projectors being used ??

The club has been looking at what local clubs use and they all seem to favor a Canon Projector with prices ranging from a couple of thousand pounds right up to four thousand plus. We are a small club and that sort of money will place a very serious dent in the bank balance.
    which leads to the second question...

How do clubs "fund" their projector ???

Really appreciate any assistance....

David
    David

Re: Digital Projector

Photo's can never be the same projected, as they are on the laptop. One uses transmitted light and one reflected light, so the best you can hope for is to get the colour balance and light output correct. Thinking aloud, it's probaly fairer to judge a projected image against a good quality print.

We use a Canon. Quite expensive, but compared to what we have experienced visiting other camera clubs, regarding quality of projected image and reliability of the projector and software, we are very comfortable with our decision.

Ours has the benefit of a little sticker attached to it "Funded by the National Lottery". We put in a bid for some funds a few years ago and we were granted £5,000, which funded a custom built computer, screen, projector and some software. We run/oversee a digital camera club for pupils at the local School and also do some demonstrations/talks/training with the local elderly and this was emphasised in our bid, helped in part with glowing testimonials from the School and Day Centre.

We were fortunate that we thought through our strategies and took every advantage to make the best of our bid. I suspect that if we did the customery Charles Dickens ................ "Please Sir, can I have some? We would have received one of their standard "No" letters in the next post.

Hope that helps

Colin
    Colin

Comment

Thanks Colin.
      This is really useful information as an application was made for Lottery funds but it was rejected and one of the things we have been pondering is what sort of Community work we could do which necessitated a projector and you gave answered the question.

David
      David

Comment

We don't have the money as we are a small club and as we are not in the UK are not able to get Lottery money. We went with a Sony vplew130 projector. When we bought it it cost £700 and I see it is now down to £520 now from eBuyer http://www.ebuyer.com/273668-sony-so...ctor-vpl-ew130, the spec is on that page too. An advantage for us was true international 3 year warranty from Sony, bought in the UK and shipped to Spain as here they are subject to an import tariff and so 20% dearer than the UK.

As to software sorry can't help there but looking forward to reading the answers.
        --
        Colin
        http://fotos-espana.com
        http://macameraclub.com
        http://turnspain.com

Comment

Thanks Colin. Every little bit of info helps.

David
          David

Comment

Originally posted by djguk47 View Post
            ...What brand of projectors are other clubs using, what software are they using to project the images (the software must have the functionality to be able to mark the scores on the images at the time the judge "announces" the score)
            David
            Hello David,

We use a Canon projector which was acquired before I joined, but I believe was bought with the assistance of a lottery grant. Up until now we have used Lightroom for projection, but it is not ideal for that purposel I asked a recent visiting judge whether he had any recommendations, and he put me onto "DiCentra" which his club uses - apparently with great satisfaction. It costs £35.00 and the link is: http://www.wilburimaging.com/wisoftware/DiCentra.htm

We have now bought a copy but as I have yet to explore it thoroughly I can only say that it looks as if it will do what you want. I certainly hope so, otherwise I owe the club £35!!

Martin

Comment

Working...
            X