Printing a card...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Printing a card...

I'm not saying my pictures are perfect... but I would like to print a couple of cards.

I have a epson 265 printer - takes six inks. Works fine with photo paper Infact works fine with lots of things, I'm very happy with it. Had it a while and think it will have to die a death before I replace.

But I bought some cards for self printing and ended up putting them in dustbin. Every setting... and I mean every setting produced terrible prints. Best thing about the cards where the envelopes.

Can I ask, if you're doing printing for a card, what do you use?

Do you buy card stock?
    Use photo paper and fold yourself?
    Smaller photo paper and stick to a card?

A push in the right direction would be helpful. Thanks all.
    Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
    Di's Flickr

Re: Printing a card...

I picked up a pack of Greeting Card paper from Tesco just to experiment with card making.
    Its actually quite good and prints well - glossy on the outside and plain on the inside.
    Also, they are creased for neat and easy folding. Envelopes are included.
    The only drawback is that I thought they were A5 when folded but they are actually A6.
    A pack of 20 cards and envelopes cost less than a tenner.
    They were perfect for personal Christmas Cards

Mike
    www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

Thanks for that... I'll pop by my local tesco and get some of them.
      Di's Flickr

Comment

Dee, I think that you will get better results by getting some card blanks with envelopes etc from a local printers and then attaching proper printed photos to the blanks. I have a friend who does it this way and he sells 100's a month through a local chain of book shops. Never gets any returned and always perfect. He also uses an internet printing firm to print his photos at the right price too.
        --
        Colin
        http://fotos-espana.com
        http://macameraclub.com
        http://turnspain.com

Comment

I'm a bit late coming in on this but here is what I do (for what its worth)

I typically use the Canon Photo Matt paper or some equivalent photo-quality stiff matt paper.

Printing A4 sheets via my Epson R3000 I set it up for Epson Photo Quality Matt and lay out the image so that it occupies one quarter of the sheet (I normally use either the old Microsoft Greetings prog or more recently Serif Papgeplus 6)

Print quality is excellent, the paper folds well and makes a lovely tight crease and the cards are vey stable when opened on display.

After printing I then fold the cards (usually French fold style which ends up with a C6 sized card) myself and bag them in a transparent C6 sized bag, together with an envelope.

Costs around about £0.50 to make up and sells for £1.50

The public seem to like buying them at that price

(On the other hand - I have a friend who makes hers up using pre-packed card blanks then attaching the images which she prints of self-adhesive gloss printing paper - I think she uses an HP product - and these sell equally well)
          Last edited by oldcanon; 24-03-2012, 15:32.
          My camera is helping to look at the world more closely, then record what I see to share with others.

http://imagesfromnature.foliopic.com

Comment

Thanks everyone. I've got photo card and tried that... brother was happy with his birthday card... though probably not with the fact that I'd compared him to an old volvo

I've also some smaller photopaper which I can put straight onto the front of a card - going to have a go at this at a later date.

Also got some pre-scored "posh" cards with envelopes from a local craft store. Recommended for printing and making your own. I'll see how they pop out of the printer.

Just wanted to know if there was any magic to it.
            Di's Flickr

Comment

Di - just saw your post - I use Hahnemuhle PhotoRag Pearl which comes in a box of 50 A5 cards - really good quality, thick card and doesn't look at all home made. I print with an Epson 3800. Just takes a while to get the image on the right place on the card, but easy once you have got it figured out!!

Di

Comment

Thanks very much Diana, I'll look for some. The A6 cards I picked up from the craft store don't look bad, but you know how it is when you know it can be better
                Di's Flickr

Comment

Working...
                X