Why no viewfinder ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why no viewfinder ?

I have an old Ixus 7 mp pocket camera which takes very good photos. What I would really like is a newer model, specifically with better zoom facility, as a pocket camera for when I am not carrying my SLR. However all the newer models seem to lack a viewfinder! Is it me or do lots of other photographers find it a bit alien holding a camera around two feet in front of yourself to take photos?
    Martin
    Canon 7D,EFS 15-85 IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II

Re: Why no viewfinder ?

Agree totally. I have one of the smallest IXUS compacts that lives in and is hardly noticeable in a trouser pocket - always have a camera to hand when not carrying a DSLR. The IXUS takes cracking photos, and, of course, all the symbols and modes of working are intuitive after using big Canons for years.
    Sometimes use the screen for composing, but find it useless in sunshine and, anyway, prefer to use a viewfinder, even if there is a bit of parallax error.
    Enquired about this with the compact expert on the Canon stand at Focus on Imaging a short while back., and he confirmed that none of the tiddlers are now made with a viewfinder. Seems to hold for most other makes too.
    What a shame.
    Cheers, Chris.
    Just chuggin' along.

Comment

Thanks for that Chris, interesting to know. It appears that compacts are not designed for photographers. I may have to switch to an alternative brand for a compact
      Martin

Comment

We have an old IXUS that has a view finder and I have had some great results with it - I find I use both the screen and viewfinder in pretty much equal measure - somehow the screen on a small camera just seems natural to me, (interestingly I virtually never use live view on the DSLR).

I was not aware of the demise of the viewfinder until my mother in law said she could not find one. After searching high and low, the only brand we found with one as I recall was indeed a Canon, but an entry level powershot - not sure which one, but it was cheap, about £70 from Jessops, made entirely of plastic (felt almost throw-away) and it takes 2 x AA batteries. But, you know what, it takes photos every bit as good as my IUXS, has the standard canon menus and she took to it like a duck to water.

I am sure in my hands it would not last long, but she has had it for a while now and is really pleased with the results.

I just checked Canon's site and there are two now, the powershot A1200 and 1300 - I think the 1200 is the current version of the one we bought

for the Price they make a great little camera, and have a viewfinder
        EOS 600d, ef 18-55 is kit lens, 50 mm 1.8 mkii, Tamron 70-300, 430EXii

Comment

It’s an unfortunate sign of the times.

I had the same problem recently and gave up. All I wanted was something with a viewfinder (nothing elaborate, but just enough to frame a shot), powered by two AA batteries, not flat fronted (i.e. something on the right to get your fingers around, a grip in other words) and the ability to take reasonable (in the context of a £100-£200 point and shoot) images. If it fit in a shirt pocket that would have been a bonus. Actually I feel ‘stupid’ holding a camera half a metre in front on my face, but maybe I’m just too Self-conscious?

Comment

I have an IXUS that has a viewfinder but I have never used it. My 550D has Live View and I am using that a lot more than I thought I would. There are lots of superb images out there that have been taken without looking through a viewfinder!

Comment

It feels quite alien to me not to use a viewfinder, at the very least I can concentrate on the image and not lose concentration by anything noticed from my peripheral vision.

Point'n'shoot cameras are now designed for a different market segment, who are accustomed to pointing a whole camera (or phone) at their subject, without any thought of using a viewfinder.

Alas, we are now in the minority ..................... but we still take better photo's.

Colin
              Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                It feels quite alien to me not to use a viewfinder, at the very least I can concentrate on the image and not lose concentration by anything noticed from my peripheral vision.

Point'n'shoot cameras are now designed for a different market segment, who are accustomed to pointing a whole camera (or phone) at their subject, without any thought of using a viewfinder.

Alas, we are now in the minority ..................... but we still take better photo's.

Colin
                Amen!
                Do feel free to comment on any of my contributions.
                EOS-500D. Flickr: _rutger_

Comment

Originally posted by nigels View Post
                  I have an IXUS that has a viewfinder but I have never used it. My 550D has Live View and I am using that a lot more than I thought I would. There are lots of superb images out there that have been taken without looking through a viewfinder!
                  In bright light I know my wife has trouble with her viewfinder-less Lumix as the screen can be difficult to see. With my G10 I must admit whilst I normally use the viewfinder I sometimes use the screen (rather than getting into contortions). But whatever works best for you. Some of us have used viewfinders for 50+ years and thats what works for us ... others prefer the holding the whole thing 2' in front of them.

Comment

Thanks for all comments, pleased to hear it is not just me.
                    Colin, I think your comment was spot on, as always!
                    Martin

Comment

Working...
                    X