Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Camera Strap

I really rate the Op/Tech USA stuff.

Very flexible but can be a little confusing what with all the straps/connectors with similar names.

I remember posting here about the Op/Tech;

Had an Optech shoulder strap for ages on the camera but given that most of the time I walk around holding onto it with a flimsy handgrip I invested in the Optech Gotcha wrist strap. Its really good, I was dubious at first having over 3 grands worth of kit dangling from it :shake: and a bit...

Hope that helps?

Kind regards,
    -=Glyn=-

Comment

I've just spent the afternoon walking around with my 60D with battery grip and sigma 150-500 hanging of my Black Rapid Sport RS. Didn't even feel the 2kg+ by my side :-)

Comment

I use a sling type, they don't put the strain on the neck like a standard strap. There are some expensive onea out there like the Black rapid but at £40 + I actually had my own made at a third of the price. I may have them generally available if there is any demand.

Ian
        Ian

Comment

Originally posted by Coryman View Post
          .... I actually had my own made at a third of the price. I may have them generally available if there is any demand.
          Details and photos please Ian.
          Bob Turner
          Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

I will put something together this week.

Ian
            Ian

Comment

Would be nice to see that Ian.
              Chris
              Practice makes perfect

Canon EOS 7D,1100D, EF 400mm f5.6L USM, EF 24-105 1:4 L IS USM, 18-55 Kit lens,EF 50mm 1.8, EF 100mm f2 USM, Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2

Comment

I fully agree with you about how uncomfortable the "standard" Canon EOS strap is. After quite a bit of Internet research I chose the Sun Sniper "Pro" strap and am very happy with it :-)

Comment

A general question if I may. I have a Canon body with 24-105 lens. I also use a lightweight Gitzo tripod when taking landscapes. As my Gitzo has a bespoke plate, then if I buy a tripod mount strap (eg; BlackRapid or Sunsniper) then the only option I have is to continually switch the mount ring/plate as required. Am I right in assuming that the frequent compression/de-compression of a strap washer could in time add to the risk of inadvertent mounting ring disconnection?

Comment

I made my decision and went for the ladies Black Rapid R-Strap RS-W1 Ladies Sling Strap which my sister purchased for me for my birthday. I have used it a little and find it to be very comfortable and is certainly much easier on my neck!

Comment

Up-date on the shoulder strap: I have been trying several swivel clips and the first ones I have tested do not as they say cut the mustard, so have sourced another couple of types. I have also looked at a couple of eastern imports to test them and the CADEN version is very good at less than a tenner, it has a nice wide neoprene shoulder pad and has a attachment plate, which has its own tripod fixing, so there is no need to unscrew the strap to put the camera on a tripod.

Ian
                      Ian

Comment

Hi! Age is catching up on me and I am seriously considering investing in a black rapide or similar camera strap. I am interested in wild life as you know and I am going after "birds" at the moment. Most of the reserves I visit involves quite a lot of walking and I find my camera and 300mm lens getting heavier and heavier the more I walk. I know members use the Rapide straps. Any downsides to this esp to the lens and camera mounts when the lens is hanging by your side?
                        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Nat

I use the BR RS7 strap, and can recommend it. Yes, it's a bit on the expensive side, but the quality is up there to match.

I use it mainly for when I have the 70-300 L on the 7D, and I have no issue with the lens hanging down at my side, but when walking about, I gently place my hand on the camera to steady it and stop it swinging about. The camera / lens combo find their natural centre of gravity, and I've no concern with undue stress on the mount.

I mount a tripod attachment to the lens collar, with the BR strap attached to the camera, so I have no issues with having to take it on/off repeatadly. This also allows me to have a strap on the camera even when on a tripod... belt and braces!

If I was in Wales, I'd come and show you and let you try it, ...but I'm not, ...so I won't! :smile:

Hope that helps! Mike.
                          flickr
                          5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Black Rapid RS7 same as Mike. Use it with the 70-200L 2,8 MkII as well as the 100-400L and 24-105L on my 50D and it is very comfortable. Only "gotcha" is with the 24-105 as the lens will extend while it is hanging by my right hip while walking.
                            David

Comment

The same as Mike and David, I use the BR RS7 with my 5D3 and various lenses the only issue I have is the one that David has mentioned in that I find with the 24-105 lens hanging by my side it extends under gravity.

Comment

Thanks kind folks for all your advice. My real problem is only with the 300mm lens.I am quite comfortable carting my other lenses- based on the assignment in mind,in my camera (medium sized) holdall. However I now tend to take the 300mm lens already fitted to my 60D with the TC etc and it rests sideways in my larger holdall. This tends to get heavier as I walk and then I do put the camera and lens round my neck.

Can any member recommend a camera neck strap that I can remove quickly, without using the camera lugs, which would then enable me to fix the Rapid type sling harness only when I am carrying my 300mm lens. I hope I made myself clear.

Many thanks
                                Nat
                                Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
                                X