6D/5D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6D/5D

Hi All, I'm after your views and suggestions...

The time is ripe to go full-frame, Canon's current cashback promotion and the stability of camera prices means now is the time to make the jump.

The models I am considering are the 6D and 5D III, there is of course a considerable difference is outlay, and both cameras offer different benefits and shortcomings.

Both offer the new flash-menu system with improved control of up to five groups
    Both have similarly specified FF sensors
    Both have exemplary high ISO performance
    Both take SD cards (of which I have a large selection)
    Both take the LP-E6 battery, the same as my 60D

The 6D has the built-in WiFi and GPS and it's (significantly) lighter & smaller
    The 5D has a vastly superior autofocus system, a transmissive focussing screen (so replacement gridded screens aren't required), and a faster shutter/flash-sync speed.

As for my photography, it's predominantly landscapes, portraits, and macro, with a lot of flash use.

I can see myself using the 6D's WiFi link to my iPhone/iPad a lot (I currently use an EyeFi card) and whilst I wasn't originally convinced by the 6D's GPS functionality I can see the benefit of geotagging images rather than me placing them manually in Lightroom and Flickr. The slower flash-sync speed isn't really an issue as HSS can partially combat this, and I can't remember the last time I shot at over 1/4000th so the slower overall shutter speed isn't an issue either.

The 5D's 61-point AF system appeals as I'd love to try some motorsport and birds in flight photography, but currently my 60D's permanently set to single focussing point (using BBF).

So, what are your thoughts? In writing this post it's become obvious that the benefits of the 5D are possibly not benefits which I'd actually use, but it's still the camera I think I'd prefer to own purely because it's the more desirable camera, but the extra £750 premium over and above the 6D's not an insignificant sum. What to do....
    Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Re: 6D/5D

Steve, I have the 5D3 and think it is a brilliant camera it does everything I want, including BIF / motorsport.

If I were you I would seriously think about how much you would use the additional build quality and AF system, I think one area that the 5D3 would possibly benefit you over the 6D in landscape is I believe it is better weathersealed than the 6D but that is pretty much it. I am hearing that the contrast and to some extent the IQ of the 6D is better suited to landscape than the 5D.

In the event that you would only use the additional AF and faster frame rate of the 5D less than 5% of the time I would probably go for the 6D if you are looking at more than say 10% I would probably get the 5D.

But being a bloke you will almost certainly do as the rest of us do and go with the heart

Comment

I'm going through a similar process. Next thing is to get my pro dealer to let me borrow them one at a time and do some experimentation. But no until the 'significant' firmware updates due next month (or so) have arrived [which should give both the ability to AF at f/8]. I'm not bothered about any video capability and whilst I would use the GPS it's not a deal breaker.

So I'll monitor this thread with interest ... thanks for starting it.

Comment

I've had a 6D for about a fortnight and so far have been hugely impressed with it. I was in the lucky position to be able to afford a 5D3 but ultimately felt I couldn't justify the expense, particularly given I don't make any money from pics and am mainly interested in landscapes and things that don't move. The weight difference is also a bonus as I hike a fair bit and it all adds up when it's on your back. I think Muscat's points about how much you want to shoot moving targets is the real criteria here that, along with pro use would sway me to the 5D over the 6D.
        Edited to add; I have no interest in video but this would apparently be another big sway for the 5D.
        TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

The new edition of Practical Photography has a comparison of FF cameras which includes 6D/5DII/5DIII. Might be worth a read. They come down firmly in favour of the 5DIII, but the article is fairly comprehensive and may answer your dilemma.
          Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

If you've got an hour to kill this is worth a watch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX_I9...ature=youtu.be
            TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

The 6D has a better sensor so would be a bit better for landscape, although it's some way behind the sensors in the Sonys and Nikons. The WiFi is cool though.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Els View Post
                If you've got an hour to kill this is worth a watch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX_I9...ature=youtu.be
                I suggest everyone watches that video. I've seen it three times now, and it's really good. Cheers for that Wayne.
                Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                www.campsie.photography

Comment

I believe the camera picture quality is a minor part of the end picture. The extra facilities in the cameras are more aimed at making it easier to do the photography - better lens are more key, rather then there it little difference for even the better amateur - even there it is the extra features - for example between a 200/f2 and a 200/f2.8 the difference is only the one stop.
                  ef-r

Comment

I had the chance to fondle both ... and even without taking a picture you understand where the price difference in part comes from. So I recommend the OP does the same ...

Comment

Ken Rockwell comparison

If it was me then the 5D3, but it is not me.
                      Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                      Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Well, I can only offer my experience and opinion. I bought the 6D over the 5DMKIII because the 6D does what I need, and it was a lot cheaper. These days I am shooting landscapes, travel, and documentary, so the 6D is more than adequate. I am also using it with two Zeiss lenses, the 25 f/2 and the 50 f/1.4, results are brilliant.

I am sure that the 6D is more than capable of shooting action and sports, just keep your subject on the central focus point, and crop later if you need to recompose after the fact.

Comment

Here in the States there is a $1400 difference in the two bodies. I bought the 6D...................and saved the cash
                          I ain't as good as I once was.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post
                            I suggest everyone watches that video. I've seen it three times now, and it's really good. Cheers for that Wayne.
                            Sorry to bring back an oldish thread but I'm sure this is still quite a popular subject. I agree with Paul re that video link. Absolutely invaluable information in there.

I've been finding hard to decide between 6D and 5D3. If it's down to cost then I could just afford the 5D3 with the 24-70 IS II (£3279 at HDEW) although I obviously don't want to throw money away. The 6D and the same lens comes out £800 cheaper.

Money aside it looks like the 6D is at least as good (if not better) than the 5D3 when it comes to IQ, especially in poor light. And they say the 5D3 shines with it's auto focus system. So I think the advice is 5D3 if you take action shots like sports and wildlife and 6D if you mainly do portraits and low light work. The problem is I have found myself doing both equally as much, hence it's a tough choice.

Having watched that video and read many reviews I'm now leaning back towards 6D because it seems to have more features for your money.
                            Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/leerigby/

Comment

I've been scoping for my 'next' camera and I think the 6D represents very good value for money.
                              Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
                              http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
                              https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Working...
                              X