To Flicker or not to Flicker (Sic)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To Flicker or not to Flicker (Sic)

Having suffered the 503 problem for the first time ever last night and declining to upload direct from my PC, whiich Robert asked why.

I thought this would be a suitable subject to use as a comparison image. So here we have St Mary the Virgin Church at Nunthorpe.

One image uploaded direct from the computer the other from my Flickr photostream. The image has only been in to PS to convert the Raw file to a jpg and resized for posting (800 Pixel on the long edge) with one pass of smart sharpen applied. so here we go.

Well both methods worked

Exif 5D3, 24-105 at 24mm, ISO 100, f16, 1/30 hand held.

#1 direct upload

_V1A2845-WebEdit.jpg

#2 from Flickr

So any comments on these two variants (upload method)
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Re: To Flicker or not to Flicker (Sic)

Wow you really do lose a lot of detail and sharpness with the direct upload. I will continue to only use flickr and put up with the occasional 503 error
    1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
    Facebook
    www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

I remember Stan pointing out the quality difference when uploading directly or via IMG a while ago, Certainly a good difference.
      Raj
      Raj
      Flickr

Comment

Number 2 looks sharper to me. But with my eyesight I could be wrong.

Comment

I have been saying for ages that a direct upload degrades the shot and this is another example. Robert needs to look at the software to see if there is any way to tweak the settings for direct upload to avoid degradation of the image - another forum i post to will only accept direct uploads and there is rarely any problems there. I think in this case the shot from flickr is about spot on, maybe just a tiny bit oversharpened but that does not stand out too much

BTW I like the shot

Stan
          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
          flickr

Comment

As an experiment i wondered if the quality of a direct upload could be improved by oversharpening the image so i have downloaded the flickr image and oversharpened it using quite a high radius on a high pass sharpen and then uploaded it from the computer. Slightly better but not enough really

Stan

church.jpg
            Last edited by Stan; 22-01-2014, 13:43.

flickr

Comment

Stan that looks to fall somewhere between the two.
              Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Stan that looks to fall somewhere between the two.
                its slightly better but I still would not be happy with it - there was an aweful lot of sharpening applied as well

stan

flickr

Comment

I wonder if the 503 error is a timeout problem. We insert embed code via Flickr. Type what we need to type and hit submit.

The site EOS forums engine then needs to resolve that code and display the picture based on the variables of the embed code. We know it's not the code that's the problem because both BBCode, iFrame or direct IMG tagging fails. I think it could be that the server can't resolve the code, display the image and refresh the page in time. It just throws up an error and you're halted in your tracks.

Maybe there's a setting in the sites forum code that can halt a refresh of the newly created page until it's caught up with itself. Windows Servers work a lot with time to live values. If something hasn't been performed in an allocated time, it fails and moves to what it should do next. Sounds a lot like that type of thing.
                  Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                  www.campsie.photography

Comment

Paul - yes it will probably be a temporal issue (we are told resources are plentiful and just a fraction used). We did a while ago do a none scientific test to see if it was a particular farm (or farms) at Flickr that resulted in the most 503's. Sadly there was no pattern. So as with a lot of these 'random' (it will not be, there will be a logical explanation somewhere) occurrences I normally start by looking for timing issues. We have had this sort of thing at work recently and on the face of it there was no explanation. But when you factor in quiescence and size of job it all became a bit clearer ... in so far as one of technical chaps stopped it happening.

Comment

As others have said, the direct upload suffers, so I too will only use Flickr for now.

As a side point, I cannot view direct uploads until I sign on... Which until recently I could not do at work. Most Flickr images appear regardless of whether I'm signed on or not... But there's always the odd one that doesn't show!

Mike
                      flickr
                      5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Never had the 503 from photobucket
                        Alun

Comment

Working...
                        X