Sophia's Baptism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sophia's Baptism

Today I was asked to photograph another Baptism at church. Wasn't a pretty day, so I took 3 light measurements, then averaged them out coming up with a average setting of 1/60 sec @ f/5.6, ISO 6400.

Camera was the Canon SL1 w/EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L
    236 mm

300 mm

112 mm

Comments Welcomed

Tom

Re: Sophia's Baptism

They have turned out well at those settings Tom and i like the processing as usual. Guess the parents are pleased

Stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

Tom, there are nice but if you don't mind, could you let me see them in colour please- mainly because I am requested to do similar work in colour.I am aware of your settings and methodology. Thanks.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

nice ones Tom...
        [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Thanks Stan, Nat and Wayne.

Nat, I'll post the color set later, but here a 9 images on my Facebook page for you to view. The camera settings are the same as these bw images.

Tom

Comment

Tom, one other question. Why do you prefer to take the readings from a hand held meter when the Canon DSLR's have sophisticated inbuilt exposure meters?
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

In the church, there are various lighting levels. Since I set the camera up manually, I don't have the time to ensure that I have the proper exposure so I use my meter to measure the light in the 3 areas that I know I will be shooting, take the readings put them in memory and then average them. I then put those settings into the camera and fire away. I don't use AV priority as the light may cause a slower shutter speed, Nor TV, since the lowest aperture setting varies from f/4 to 5.6, nor the Auto ISO as I prefer to standardize what I am shooting. Yes, there are some that swear by Canon's sophisticated system and that's ok also. I just find if I understand the available light, then I get more consistent images, that require less post processing time. Hope that makes sense Nat.

Comment

Thanks Tom. Makes a lot of sense.

Comment

Working...
                X