Birthday fast approaching......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Birthday fast approaching......

Shortly will be another year older and, according to "the Chairman of the Board" plus "the teenager", becoming ... well you can imagine what they say...... but... I have been asked what I would like within a "responsible" budget.... guess that rules out a 1DS MkIII with a 500 L lens
    Two things I believe I need (1) a new tripod (my old one is a Miranda which belongs in a museum) and or (2) a new bag for carrying my "goodies" (currently use a Canon shoulder bag which is very heavy fully loaded)
    Tripod:
    • use - Landscapes, Macro, Night shots
    • Have looked at the various threads here and it appears that a Manfrotto 055XPROB may be a good choice, but what Head should I look for??
    • will need to handle the lens listed below

Bag:
    Current Gear - 50D, Sigma 10-20, 18-85 IS USM, nifty 50, Sigma 105 Macro, 70-300 IS USM, 430 EX II, Cokin Filters + holder & rings, close up lens, TZ6 point & shoot, HDC TM300 Camcorder, + cards & batteries etc
    Current thoughts: Lowepro rucksack... but which one ???

All ideas gratefully accepted

David
    David

Re: Birthday fast approaching......

Leather bus pass holder?

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
    ef-r

Comment

Hi David;

You lucky lad...

Tripod : You might want to check-out the Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 as an option. Admittedly it's twice the price of the 055 - but - importantly - it's half the weight! I have one, and have been very pleased with it...

Head : I have the 488RC2 ball-head to go with it - but I'm unsure if that's still available; I think the 498RC2 is the replacement... Looks a much improved option - damn - I wish I hadn't looked now !!!!! I also have a couple of 'spare' Q/R plates so I don't have to keep swapping them. One stays on the camera; the others on the collars of the bigger lenses...

Bag : I use a Lowepro AW Mini-trekker. It's lightweight, very comfortable, and will hold all your kit with room to spare. MUCH better option than a shoulder bag... I gave up with them long ago - kit is way too heavy to haul around nowadays...

Hope the birthday fairy is good to you!
      I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
      Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

C-F, many thanks for your ideas. I suspect the 190CXPRO3 may not "happen" but fingers crossed. The 498RC2 looks a good choice.
        Will have another look at the Lowepro site now that I have something to look for. I found the site very confusing when you do not really know what you want.

Haven't seen you on the forum for a while...

Thanks
        David
        David

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
          Leather bus pass holder?

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
          to go with my heating allowance cheque ;;biggrin;
          David

Comment

Hello David

It depends what responsible budget means?

Ideally a 190, or 055CX pro. Carbon fibre lightweight and around £210 for the 190 and £250 for the 055. The 460Mg lightweight head is a good match at £50, but heads aren't so simple and it may be a good idea to go in the shop and play with a few, to see what suits you.

For bags, you can't go wrong with the AW Mini-Trekker.

So that's two votes for the same kit.

Colin
            Colin

Comment

Hi David,

I've been using the 055XProB for a year or three now and have been very pleased with it. It's just about as heavy as I would want to carry around for a prolonged period. One of the advantages for me is the extra height over most. Not that I'm tall but the ability to have the legs at differing lengths and still have the camera at eye level is useful for uneven ground or rocky sea shore.

If your work is mostly 'slow' in pace and for lanscape, night and macro shooting then that would be the case have a look at the 460MG. It gives accurate 3-axis rotation/adjustment without going to the expense of a geared head. Great for slow paced aligning of shots however I also used mine a few weeks back for panning on some fast cars and it worked a treat, better than I anticipated.

Another shout for the Lowepro AW Mini-trekker. A good comfortable 'big enough' bag. The Lowepro lifetime guarantee works as well, took mine back after 18 months as one of the zips had become faulty .... they replaced the bag without question ... which was nice.

My B'dy today and mr postie brought me some nice Lee filter kit (yum yum)

Cheers, Dave B. :smile:
              C&C always gratefully and graciously received.
              Website - not much but it's all mine
              MySpace - just a sad old rocker really
              OCA - student discount at 55 ... marvelous

Comment

Originally posted by daveb View Post
                My B'dy today and mr postie brought me some nice Lee filter kit (yum yum)

Cheers, Dave B. :smile:
                Lucky you .................... all I get is socks! :smile:

Colin
                Colin

Comment

Originally posted by djguk47 View Post
                  Haven't seen you on the forum for a while...
                  Managed to get away for a short-break... not as far as we'd planned - thanx to our Icelandic friends !

Was looking for some hot sun - got cold sun instead !
                  I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
                  Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Thanks everyone for the input. It is great to get other's "undiluted" comments.

So it definately looks like the Lowepro AW Mini-trekker... I see there is one on fleabay at the moment going for 0.99p (no bids so far). The same seller has a 300 L currently going for £310 but it has a damaged hood from being squashed and which also doesn't fit properly so am wondering what else may be wrong with it.

The tripod.... the Jury is still out on this as I would like the lightweight carbon fibre but I just picked up the bill for SWMBO's car service and MOT and it was not good news. But, I guess if I have picked the car bill then I can safely ask for a carbon fibre tripod.....and the AW Mini-trekker..... (maybe)

Thanks again for the input

David
                    David

Comment

I have a number of LowePro bags (including the MicroTrekker 200 and CompuTrekker AW). Depends what kit I need and can carry which bag I select. Also keep the L glass in their original bags (in Exped sacks) ... with Dymo notes attached so I knows whats in which bag (blushing).

But I never depend on the AW cover (in fact I never use covers when out rambling) ... firstly spray bag to waterproof (ish) and secondly store things in a Exped waterproof packsacks. Then the Paramo outdoor wear ........

The 055 plus a variety of heads is what I use. Manfrotto normally do Christmas specials ... but alas you've missed them ;-(

But get to a shop and have a play and see what suits.

Comment

Originally posted by djguk47 View Post
                        But, I guess if I have picked the car bill then I can safely ask for a carbon fibre tripod.....and the AW Mini-trekker..... (maybe)
                        Stick out for what you want (need) David, even if it means just having one of them. There is nothing worse than compromising, only to find out in use that life would have been a lot easier with your first choice. I am always prepared to wait if I have to, to make sure I get exactly what I want.

Colin
                        Colin

Comment

Hi. I dont use a tripod that much, but I bought a Carbon fibre Tripod from Jessops for under 100 pounds. And must say, very happy with it.
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/47382834@N07/

Chris

Comment

David

Check out the redsnapper range of tripods

On another forum I use, they rate them very highly.

When my 12 year old Manfrotto carbon tripod bites the dust, I'll definitely be considering a redsnapper.

Agree on the Lowepro bag, all my camera bags are Lowepro-they are all built to last.
                            Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
                            Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Thanks everyone for your comments/suggestions.

The conclusion:
                              Bag: a Lowepro Mini-Trekker AW has been ordered and my credit card was not used for payment.
                              I went into my local Jessops with all my gear and packed everything into the one they had on display.
                              The poor Jessops' man... thought he had a genuine sale and his face was not a "pretty picture" when I said I was not going to buy the bag from him but just wanted to see if my "stuff" would all fit into the bag and how comfortable it felt on my back with everything in it.

Tripod: looks like this is destined for my credit card so am putting together everyone's suggestions.
                              Had a look at the only Manfrotto Jessops had (190Pro3 - not carbon fibre) and it is !%^&*$ heavy. They had a Jessops carbon fibre tripod and it was like a feather in comparison so the new tripod will definately be carbon fibre.... Watch this space...

Thanks

David
                              David

Comment

Working...
                              X