Shutter count on 6D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shutter count on 6D

I am new to this forum and joined because someone on on the Amateur photographer forum suggested that it was worth a try here. as nobody on that forum seems to know the answer to my query which is:

Is there a (fairly) simple way finding the total actuations on a 6D? There are only 4 digits for numerics in the image name which is in the format IMG_1234 (not changeable on this model) and the actual numeric value does not seem to be consistent, instead it seems to depend upon the card loaded. On my other system (Olympus) there is a complicated procedure where the actuation count can be read out and I was wondering if there is a similar procedure on Canons. I know the camera is rated at 100,000 so I am not expecting a problem but it would be interesting to know

Many thanks in advance if anyone can help

Roger Macdonald

Re: Shutter count on 6D

Nice to see you here Roger, you'll find us a friendly lot round here

try http://www.direstudio.com/shuttercount - I've not used it but bookmarked it just in case I needed it
    Last edited by Tigger; 12-01-2015, 17:10.
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I have been using ShutterCount for a while:

It takes a reading from the camera, rather than from an image shot with the camera. I have yet to be convinced that the shutter actuation count is in the EXIF data.
      Robert
      robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
        Nice to see you here Roger, you'll find us a friendly lot round here

try http://www.shuttercounter.com - I've not used it but bookmarked it just in case I needed it
        Thank you for the quick reply , unfortunately that site says that the only Canon that supports shutter counts in exif information is the 1D. I tried it on three images (one CR2 and two JPG) to see if the 6D, being a fairly new addition to the canon family, was omitted in error but unfortunately it just reported no shutter information. It does however provide a very comprehensive exif analysis which is worth retaining,

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_S View Post
          This free atro-photography application will give you the shutter-count on EOS cameras.

I used it when I wanted to sell my 7D, so that I could quote the 'shutter count'.

Dave
          I've not tried this Roger but Dave posted this, maybe worthwhile checking that as well

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

Originally posted by RogerMac View Post

There are only 4 digits for numerics in the image name which is in the format IMG_1234 (not changeable on this model) and the actual numeric value does not seem to be consistent, instead it seems to depend upon the card loaded.
            Not sure what you mean by 'consistent'. The default setting is continuous numbering and when set the only way this is overridden is if you insert a card with images from another camera where the last image number written to the card is higher than the last taken by the 6D.
            Am I misunderstanding you?

As far as shutter count is concerned I think Ian's suggestion is only for 1D cameras - I've not looked for any others. Maybe a Google search will turn something up.

Enjoy the 6D - it's a great camera and has a number of fans on this very friendly and informative forum.

Bob
            Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

I was reading back issues of eos magazine the other night, there is an article in one published sometime in the last year all about obtaining the shutter count.
              Paul

Comment

First quarter of 2014 :-)
                Paul

Comment

Originally posted by bobowen View Post
                  Not sure what you mean by 'consistent'. The default setting is continuous numbering and when set the only way this is overridden is if you insert a card with images from another camera where the last image number written to the card is higher than the last taken by the 6D.
                  Am I misunderstanding you?

As far as shutter count is concerned I think Ian's suggestion is only for 1D cameras - I've not looked for any others. Maybe a Google search will turn something up.

Enjoy the 6D - it's a great camera and has a number of fans on this very friendly and informative forum.

Bob
                  You have exactly described the problem - I use my SD cards between the Canon and Oly systems and and the one interferes with the other when it comes to file numbering. Yes it is a lovely camera and I use it a lot (especially in low light situations) but it has not replaced the Oly for what that camera is good at.

Comment

I've not tried this Roger but Dave posted this, maybe worthwhile checking that as well
                    Norton reported that as being unsafe so I am afraid I do not want to try it!

When I started this conversation I had been expecting a free sequence of action that would do the magic, Robert Scott's suggestion seems to be the best I am likely to get so I will probably just buy that, it's cheap even if I will use it only occassionally

Thanks everyone for helping

Comment

hope we see you around more Roger

Comment

Originally posted by RogerMac View Post
                        When I started this conversation I had been expecting a free sequence of action that would do the magic, Robert Scott's suggestion seems to be the best I am likely to get so I will probably just buy that, it's cheap even if I will use it only occassionally
                        Despite rumours to the contrary, the best things in life are rarely free.

An exception is the totally free, no obligation, PDF of the EOS magazine article on 'Shutter count' which I will send to you by email very shortly.
                        Robert
                        robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Scott View Post
                          Despite rumours to the contrary, the best things in life are rarely free.

An exception is the totally free, no obligation, PDF of the EOS magazine article on 'Shutter count' which I will send to you by email very shortly.
                          Thank you it is much appreciated, and in return here is an image that makes me look forwad to Christmas and would have been very difficult to get on a lesser camera.

Comment

great shot Roger

Comment

Yes, http://astro-photography-tool-apt.so....informer.com/ from the post of Dave_S works very wel. I have used it, to the shutter count for my 550D.
                              With kind regards,
                              Friso

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EFS 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6mm IS STM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 |

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128548396@N08/

Comment

Working...
                              X