Red moon tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red moon tonight

I intend to head out into the hills tonight and try and get some pictures, using my 550d with my 100-400, any hints on timings/settings would be gratefully received.
    Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Re: Red moon tonight

I'm planning to stay up late too, but I'm no expert.

I reckon to start a f11, ISO100 1/125 in manual mode and go from there. I can trigger the shutter from my tablet (wired in) and obviously will use a tripod. I plan to try out HDR (in camera) too.

Look forward to seeing your images.
    Russell
    Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

Originally posted by tigerburnie View Post
      I intend to head out into the hills tonight and try and get some pictures, using my 550d with my 100-400, any hints on timings/settings would be gratefully received.
      Place camera and lens on tripod - best to one the lens tripod foot to do this if you ca.
      Turn the lens IS to off
      Turn lens to manual focus
      Turn camera to manual mode
      Set ISO to 100
      Set f stop to a minimum of 8 , f11 even better as this will sharpen the lens up without causing diffraction problems
      Focus the camera on a very bright star using live view, when the star seems round and sharp increase the magnification in live view and refine the focus ( do NOT use auto focus)
      Set shutter speed to 1/150 sec.
      Set the self timer to 10 second delay.
      Move camera to put moon in centre of field of view.
      Press shutter
      Wait for camera and tripod vibration to settle and for the camera to take the shot.
      If the image is over exposed up the shutter speed - if the tripod is not a rock solid tripod then the faster the shutter the better.
      If moon is under exposed ( which I doubt) up the ISO.
      Enjoy !
      James
      James Boardman Woodend
      www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Originally posted by jimsphotography View Post
        Place camera and lens on tripod - best to one the lens tripod foot to do this if you ca.
        Turn the lens IS to off
        Turn lens to manual focus
        Turn camera to manual mode
        Set ISO to 100
        Set f stop to a minimum of 8 , f11 even better as this will sharpen the lens up without causing diffraction problems
        Focus the camera on a very bright star using live view, when the star seems round and sharp increase the magnification in live view and refine the focus ( do NOT use auto focus)
        Set shutter speed to 1/150 sec.
        Set the self timer to 10 second delay.
        Move camera to put moon in centre of field of view.
        Press shutter
        Wait for camera and tripod vibration to settle and for the camera to take the shot.
        If the image is over exposed up the shutter speed - if the tripod is not a rock solid tripod then the faster the shutter the better.
        If moon is under exposed ( which I doubt) up the ISO.
        Enjoy !
        James
        Very helpful thanks, I have a remote and have my tripod ready to go, will get up the hills for around 01.00 and take a few practice shots before the 03.00 deadline. Good hunting all(just wish I'd got my new body, but this will I'm sure do the job well)

Comment

Focus the camera on a very bright star using live view, when the star seems round and sharp increase the magnification in live view and refine the focus
          I like that idea, thanks James.
          Russell
          Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX

Comment

I've got my camera and lens setup, but not sure i can last out till 3am.

Paul
            EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
            Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

I watched the entire event, but photographing it was probably the most difficult thing I've ever tried & my results are rubbish! It was not so much the initial "supermoon", but the eclipse itself - the "blood moon" which is the thing I really wanted to capture.

As the moon got darker I tried lowering the shutter speed (bad idea - I really didn't appreciate how fast it's moving), upping the ISO (noise) & opening the aperture (not enough to make a difference). I've seen a couple of decent shots on the web & would love to know what settings were used.

Nonetheless I enjoyed the show and if I'm still alive in 2033 I can see if I've learnt anything from the experience.
              Russell

Comment

I wish I'd looked at this thread before the event! I've got some reasonable images, but nothing special, and certainly nothing that I would want to crop for a bigger image.
                John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Comment

Bit same for me John, not looked at mine yet so not sure how good or bad they are. Mistake I did make initially was long exposure was too long and moon moved during the exposure.
                  Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

I set my alarm for 2:30am but one look outside and i went back to bed as it was very foggy which made the moon very hazy i could still see the eclipse starting to cross over the moon but didn't think it was worth shooting which was a real shame.

Paul
                    EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                    Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Was one of my worries earlier in the evening as we had some misty low cloud in Oldham area. Thankfully it cleared and made getting up worth the effort.
                      Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS

Comment

My pictures were a failure, poor visibility along with very stiff breeze had the camera moving on the tripod, anything over a second shutter speed was blurred and I too had too much noise if I messed around with the ISO. Enjoyed the "craic", but need to spend a lot more time doing this type of photography and to find a less windy spot that has low light pollution.

Comment

Actually 1 second or more would have looked less than sharp due to movement of the moon during the exposure.

Comment

Working...
                          X