X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

28 mm 1.8 Thoughts ??

Good morning all

As some of you are aware my main photography this time of year is bonfire

Shooting with a 70 D and currently a nifty 50 which I have wanted to launch a few times but in fairness has returned me some stunning pictures too

I am in the need to go wider, for the front of procession shots , mid procession shots and the group photos

The 50mm is too long for this as I just don't have the walk back a bit room to play with in these scenarios

My budget is a little tight at the moment and I am wanting to purchase a lens that will be useable on FF as well as crop as my intention next year is to go for a FF either used 5D Mk 1 as a back up or go for a better FF and keep my 70D as a back up.

I am sticking to prime as that works for me in these conditions

Just wondered if anyone has this lens ?? what is it really like ?? The reviews are very mixed and am currently undecided , I would love to be able to afford the L lens but its a bit out of my current price bracket to be honest

Any feedback , comments etc always gratefully received

Re: 28 mm 1.8 Thoughts ??

If you want to check its performance, have a look at www.photozone.de
    You could also check out the Sigma 30mm f/1.4
    Last edited by collywobbles; 10-10-2015, 21:03.

Comment

I used to have the 30mm F2 and that was nice and sharp...but quite an old design -worked great on my 50D at the time. The Sigma suggested above is well renowned and good value....but I've not had any experience of it.
      A second hand EF-S 18-55 would be cheap -approx £30 at Wex...make sure its MKII though...I know its a zoom but would be great for this application...and its nice and sharp.
      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

He already has an 18-135 which I believe is as good. I think Darren is trying to better his glass collection and it has been suggested by others that he aims for a prime lens. Darren and I have discussed this quite a bit during quiet spells at work (we are colleagues).
        Paul

Comment

Good evening sir :)

Well torn potentially between three lenses now

24mm 1.4 L lens (used)

35mm 1.4 L lens (used)

or go for the 28mm 1.8 lens (new) and then that leaves me with some spare cash to upgrade my 18-135 for the 24-105 L as well

Comment

Judging by your requirements in your original post I suspect that the 35mm may still be a bit narow when coupled to your 70D.

You may be better served with the 24 or 28mm. On a crop frame 24mm is roughy equivalent to 35mm on full frame which was a popular focal length with street photography and may well be better suited to what you need. Wide enough to give a decent angle of view but not so wide as require you getting too close up and personal.
            Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Working...
            X