Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A hidden bonus- EF-S lenses on full frame bodies!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A hidden bonus- EF-S lenses on full frame bodies!

It would appear that the new Kenko HD teleplus convertors enables one to use compatible EF-S lenses on full frame camera bodies. One has to fit the EF-S lens to the teleconvertor and then attach the teleconvertor ,which is EF fitting, to one's full frame body. I have not yet tried this out as I have been weighing out my options but reading Robert's post on "perosnal details" above, this appears quite practical.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: A hidden bonus- EF-S lenses on full frame bodies!

It may physically fit but I wouldn't have thought that the image circle produced by the EF-S lens would cover the full frame sensor?

Comment

My tamron lens has an EF for mount so can be attached to a full frame camera but it is designed for the 1.6 crop sensor so even on my 1dmkii with a 1.3 crop sensor it produces vignetting. Would be interesting to see an image produced with this combo on a full frame Nat to see the result
      1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
      Facebook
      www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

If you look up the thread "personal details" Robert has done some tests with the Kenko convertor and what he has said is a useful pointer. Perhaps you might like to look at Robert's comments and post your thoughts here- saves my repeating his post!
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Originally posted by collywobbles View Post
          It may physically fit but I wouldn't have thought that the image circle produced by the EF-S lens would cover the full frame sensor?
          Here is an image shot with the EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro lens and Kenko Teleplus HD 1.4X DGX converter on an EOS 5D Mark III. Ignore any resolution issues (shot at image quality S3 to reduce file size) and sharpness (camera was handheld). I shot this specifically to look for any vignetting with the EF-S lens and converter on a full-frame camera. No post-processing has been applied.

5Q4A0046.jpg
          Robert
          robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Now that really does put the cat among the pigeons Robert hmmmmm

Comment

I have pasted Robert's comments here.

"I have the Kenko Teleplus HD 1.4x DGX converter on an EOS 100D on my desk as I type. I don't have a large selection of lenses to hand, but there are no focusing issues with the EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro.

I have swapped this for the EF 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 II USM. A 1.4x converter loses one stop of light and the EOS 100D should not autofocus when the maximum aperture drops below f5.6. So I would expect the lens to autofocus at 28mm, but to lose autofocus at 105mm. In fact, autofocusing operates throughout the full zoom range. I have yet to carry out detailed tests, but the viewfinder image appears sharp at near and far distances".
              Last edited by Nathaniel; 18-10-2015, 12:36.

Comment

In a way this also means the the Kenko HD tele convertor can be used as an "adaptor" to fit EF-S lenses to full frame camera bodies! A real bonus for all members and photographers!

Comment

Well all I can say is "gobsmacked" What a piece of kit!-And that's not rhyming slang.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                    In a way this also means the the Kenko HD tele convertor can be used as an "adaptor" to fit EF-S lenses to full frame camera bodies! A real bonus for all members and photographers!
                    Can I add a word of caution Nat.
                    The fact that you can you the Kenco device can act as an adapter to fit FF-S lenses onto full frame bodies does not nesessarrily mean the image quality will be any good. Only tests with the adapter with each specific lens can confirm that is the case or not.
                    James
                    James Boardman Woodend
                    www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

I take your point James, being a cautious person myself. However the test that Robert has done with the EF-S 60mm macro lens is an eye opener for all of us. It might also be the spur for Canon to bring out a similar /better convertor to outperform the Kenko convertor.

Comment

I have to agree with James Nat, just because it fits phsically doesn't mean that it will produce sharp results I'll be interested to see what it can do, but fair play to Kenko for producing something that actually fits..... how come it took so long I wonder

Gord

Comment

There are some oddities with using Kenko converters and their effect on AF. By chance I have two 2x Kenkos, one is the old black MC7 type while the other is a later Pro-300 (the white one). The older version has no effect on AF other than if the effective max aperture exceeds f8 it simply cannot lock focus but it will try. The Pro-300, on an ordinary lens, acts the same but attach it to an L lens that takes it to an effective f8 it stops the AF dead - with an L lens it appears to transmit the effective max aperture to the body rather than the nominal one. On my 40D etc that means MF only - or switch back to the black one...
                          Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Take your points Gordon and El Sid. The convertors referred to here are the very latest Kenko HD teleplus made for the EF-S lenses. I don't know much about the older Kenko convertors and never bothered with them. In fact I have got a Canon 1.4x ii convertor which I use often with my Canon EF 70-200mm f4L lens and it works brilliantly with full auto focus. The latest Kenko HD convertors enables you to attach a compatible EF-S lens (see the kenko compatibility chart) to the convertor and then then as the convertor is EX fit, it can be fitted to a full frame camera.

Comment

This is the first question on my mind, when I was reading the thread: "But why would you want to atach a EF-S lens on a Full-Frame?"
                              With kind regards,
                              Friso

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EFS 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6mm IS STM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 |

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128548396@N08/

Comment

Working...
                              X