• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firmware help, please.

I have the following canon lenses.

1. 18-55mm EF-S f3.5-5.6 IS STM and

2. 55-250mm EF-S f4-5.6 IS STM lenses.

I am finding some difficulty in finding the correct firmware for said lenses. My camera is telling me that the current firmware for the 55-250 lens is 1.0.3. For the 18-55 lens it is 1.5.0.

My 700D's firmware is 1.1.4, which I think is correct. I've looked on the canon site but must be missing something as I can't see any lens firmware at all. I know it's me but can someone please assist?
    Canon 700D, Canon 18-55 3.5-5.6mm, IS STM lens, Canon 70-300mm 4-5.6 IS STM lens, Raynox 250 macro/close-up conversion lens.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/168448632@N02/

Re: Firmware help, please.

Forgive the 'spam' and belay my previous post. I think that I've found the appropriate firmware and mine seems to be up to date on all counts. Gosh! I'm quick. Hee! Hee!
    Canon 700D, Canon 18-55 3.5-5.6mm, IS STM lens, Canon 70-300mm 4-5.6 IS STM lens, Raynox 250 macro/close-up conversion lens.

Comment

as far as i'm aware you cannot update firmware on any canon lens . yes on a new generation sigma lens it can be done via a docking station but canon make nothing like that at all .unless its done via a card download but i may be wrong ??

Comment

Canon released a firmware update for the EF 40mm f2.8 STM in August 2012. We covered this, with a step-by-step guide to installing the update, in EOS magazine October-December 2012, page 74.

At the time, the updates could only be performed using the EOS-1D X, 5D Mark III and 650D. However, cameras introduced since then also appear to have this facility - I can confirm this is the case with the EOS 7D Mark II, 100D, 760D and M. This is not an exhaustive list - just the cameras I have to hand as I type. The lens firmware update facility does not appear to be mentioned in the camera instruction manual.

Firmware updates have also been released for the:
        - EF 300mm f2.8L IS II USM
        - EF 400mm f2.8L IS II USM
        - EF 500mm f4L IS II USM
        - EF 600mm f4L IS II USM
        However, these super-telephoto lens firmware updates cannot be installed by the user - you need to return the lens to a Canon Service Centre. When we wrote the article in 2012, the updates were carried out free of charge. Updates are only for lenses with firmware version 1.0.0. Firmware version 1.1.1 improves the autofocus capabilities of the lenses.

It seems that STM lenses have the facility for a user-update, but so far Canon has only made available a firmware update for the EF 40mm f2.8 STM.
        Robert
        robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

My thanks to you all, especially Robert Scott. I have just been in touch with your magazine to renew my magazine subscription.
          Last edited by JayJay; 21-10-2015, 09:43. Reason: update information

Comment

Working...
          X