3rd Party Battery - A Cautionary Tale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3rd Party Battery - A Cautionary Tale

In past threads regarding purchase of 3rd party batteries, I have praised the Energizer battery that I bought for my 500d, saying it has at least equal power and shutter count as the canon original. Well, while that was true, I recently found it increasingly more difficult to fit in to the camera, until, a couple of weeks ago, it just wouldn't fit in to the chamber at all. It took me quite a time to work out what was going on. On close inspection, this is what I found

Bulging Battery-3.jpg

Bulging Battery-2-2.jpg

A very definite bulge in the casing of the battery. My guess is that it was heating up during charging, thus distorting the case. I still have Duracell batteries, which i use regularly with no issues.

I know there are many on here that steer completely clear of 3rd party items, and it's Canon all the way. Well, I still wont be one of those, but, I will pay very close attention to what is going on with these products in the future.

Cheers,

Garry
    Garry Macdonald on Flickr
    Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Re: 3rd Party Battery - A Cautionary Tale

Glad it didn't explode in the camera

Comment

All Lithium Ion rechargeable batteries ( whatever the make) contain a pressurised highly inflammable electrolyte. It looks like the containment plastic has started to rupture. If so, please dispose of safely with care for the environment.
      James
      James Boardman Woodend
      www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

James,

We have battery disposal points at my work, so that is where it will go.

Cheers

Comment

I presume yours was a one off bad copy. I use 3rd party batteries without any problems except that I have to re-charge them on a third party charger as the Canon charger will not accept them.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I guess so Nathaniel. As I say, I use Duracell batteries in my 500d with no problems. They don't get the shutter count the Energiser used to, but still good enough for me.

Comment

You guys amaze me - as far as I am concerned it is similar to buying an expensive prestige car and fitting it with cheap or remould tyres - yes, people do that too!
              Canon camera, Canon accessories for me.
              Quentin

Comment

Bit in the middle of the after market battery issue. Have used after market batteries in my 60D with no problems but decided only OEM for my 5D3.
                Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by Quentin View Post
                  You guys amaze me - as far as I am concerned it is similar to buying an expensive prestige car and fitting it with cheap or remould tyres - yes, people do that too!
                  Canon camera, Canon accessories for me.
                  Quentin
                  Energizer is a quality branded product as far as I'm concerned. They weren't cheap 4 for £10 knock offs I was buying. I have heard all these arguments before, but I have also heard of original equipment giving up just outside warranty too. Also, your statement suggests you would never buy anything other than Canon. Does that include Sigma, Tamron, etc etc? Canon hugely inflate their prices and install firmware to make third party equipment fail. Regarding the car argument, that means you will only fit OEM that came fitted to the car when it was new. I doubt there is anyone anywhere that does that.
                  Last edited by digiman; 20-11-2015, 11:10.

Comment

I still find that the Canon EOS shop still sells 3rd party batteries for Canon cameras. That is good enough for me.
                    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by digiman View Post
                      Energizer is a quality branded product as far as I'm concerned. They weren't cheap 4 for £10 knock offs I was buying. I have heard all these arguments before, but I have also heard of original equipment giving up just outside warranty too. Also, your statement suggests you would never buy anything other than Canon. Does that include Sigma, Tamron, etc etc? Canon hugely inflate their prices and install firmware to make third party equipment fail. Regarding the car argument, that means you will only fit OEM that came fitted to the car when it was new. I doubt there is anyone anywhere that does that.
                      Yes, I only have Canon equipment, including lenses, for my Canon cameras.
                      As for the tyres, I do use premium brands that would be supplied on new cars by the manufacturer, as do many of my friends and car club mates. What we don't do is fit 'unknown' brands and remoulds.
                      Each to their own - I prefer to stick to Canon, even if it costs me a little more - after all battery costs are relatively small when compared with the costs of the camera hardware. The same argument often crops up here in relation to memory cards - I only use a reputable brand (Sandisk, and there are others) rather than risk my images with 'cheap' cards.
                      Quentin

Comment

it looks like you got a counterfeit of a 3ed party battery. in the states they have even done that same with memory cards unless you shop in a shop you know well your scandisk well might be counterfeit.
                        ti1 70D 5Dmk3 10-22 ef-s 50mm1.8 mk1 70-200 4 is l 400 5.6l 100mm macro is l 18-135 stm ef-s
                        1.4 tele mk3 now the 85 1.8 ef lens 16-35 4 is l 50 1.4 canon

Comment

Originally posted by beforeEosCamara View Post
                          it looks like you got a counterfeit of a 3ed party battery. in the states they have even done that same with memory cards unless you shop in a shop you know well your scandisk well might be counterfeit.
                          That is my thinking also. I know when you buy anything on line, even canon branded, you take a risk that it may be fake. I remember not so long ago a warning going around to check serial numbers of canon batteries to make sure they were genuine.

Comment

Working...
                          X