• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge nº 111- "A Christmas Carol"

Challenge nº 111 “A Christmas Carol”

The challenge is to illustrate either :-
    • the title
    • or any line from ……………………………a Christmas Carol.

So if, for example, “Good King Wenceslas” doesn’t appeal you could try “deep and chrisp and even.” Got the idea? Of course you have! Usually this forum comes up with some original and enterprising ideas and I’m open to flexible interpretation!

I am aware that you all have lots to do around now but I’m hoping this way you can pop out on the pretext of doing some Christmas shopping and find some inspiration or suitable subject for your theme.

I will review each entry and will give a friendly, honest but constructive comment. Selection of the winning entries will be based on meeting the challenge title as well as being a good photographic image in terms of composition and technique. I am no professional so my gut feel will also come into the equation.

As the slots around Christmas can be low in terms of entrants I’ve added some extra time so the competition starts right away and finishes at midnight (BST) Sunday 20th December

The standard rules apply:
    • The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • Please use a Canon DSLR.
    • Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest max (to help those with small monitors).
    • No Photoshop frames and borders.
    • Include a title; the image must convey the theme without title description.
    • Please, no comments, on images until the round is over.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • I will pick 1st, 2nd and 3rd favourite images (please don’t PM me to discuss my choices).

TO ANY NEWCOMERS TO THE FORUM, WHY NOT HAVE A GO?

Good luck and have fun

Barbara / Bo
    Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Re: Challenge nº 111- "A Christmas Carol"

OK, let's get it going with The Holly and The Ivy (in ice).

Holly and Ivy
    by AlexR!, on Flickr
    Canon EOS 7D
    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
    Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
    flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Ding Dong Merrily on High!

Comment

Hmm, not a lot of entries so far!

Closing date this Sunday 20th December, come on peeps give it a go !

Comment

"The Angel of the Lord Came Down" - but instead of "Glory Shone Around" it ended up on sale for £8 in Birmingham's German Xmas Market.

Cheers, Chris.
          Last edited by Chris J; 16-12-2015, 14:20.
          Just chuggin' along.

Comment

"Hark the Herald Angels sing..."

I know there's only one, but at least it has its herald's trumpet (and just you try finding more than one Herald Angel when you want them!)

The Herald Angel (Arnos Vale Cemetery, Bristol) by John Liddle, on Flickr
            John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

My thanks to all that entered – traditionally just before Xmas is a graveyard slot but glad to see there’s still those out there that rise to the challenge.

Holly and Ivy by AlexR!
              A lovely crisp image & fine lighting and interest: fits the brief perfectly and I’m curious as to how and why the holly and ivy were imbedded into the ice. My only criticism is that the composition leaves me feeling a bit directionless, my eyes aren’t sure where to lead me next.

Ding Dong Merrily on High by DianaS
              A great idea with both ding and dong although the model doesn’t look too merry! The background is cluttered and you’d have had more impact if you had positioned her away from distractions and rotated the image a tad.

The Angel of the Lord Came Down by Chris J
              A gift of a find for your camera at the market! Nice composition with the angel nicely prominent and telling a story with the price tag and surrounding ornaments. Impact lessened by the lighting stripe on her right eye- this could be easily tweaked out in PS

The Herald Angel by John Liddle
              Not sure if this herald angel is harking or singing with closed mouth, but definitely not playing the trumpet though. Well spotted, I’m not sure that I’ve seen more than one at a time either. It’s a sharp image with impact but just needs a bit more oomph to make it memorable. Maybe a bit more lighting as it’s a dull day, or converting to mono, or perhaps taken from a slightly different angle so we could see just a bit more of the angel's face.

As there are so few entries I am awarding an extra spoonful of Christmas pudding to you all -

PLUS -

2nd prize- Alex for his Holly and Ivy

1st prize- Chris J for the Angel of the Lord Came Down

Well done and a big thank you to all entrants, without you/us there is no challenge.

A Merry Christmas and a happy and prosperous New Year to you all.

Bo
              Last edited by lunarbo; 21-12-2015, 20:59.

Comment

Yes, Bo, a shame there weren't a few more entries, but as you say that is normal for now, despite a nicely challenging errrm... Challenge. Thanks for the kind comments.
                But did you mean Chris or John to win? Either way, well done to them and looking forward to the next one.
                Canon EOS 7D
                EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Sorry - please accept my apologies - been trying to find a new job (not easy this time of year) so not really been in the photography mood - yes I was successful - start on Jan 5th 'yeah'

.DAVID.
                  Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Oh dear!

Sincere apologies to both Chris J and in particular John Liddle for confusing my titles and angels.

My winnner is Chris J with his Angel of the Lord Came Down, I have amended the above and thanks to Alex for kindly pointing out my error.

Comment

Thanks for setting and judging the challenge Lunarbo
                      John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Well done Chris and thanks for setting and judging Lunarbo, have a great Christmas!
                        Di

Comment

Cor! Thanks! Didn't think my rather tongue-in-cheek angel would succeed. Yes, could improve with elimination of the reflection, but not a PS user. Did try to get the reflection around the top of the head to look like a halo but couldn't get the angle.

Have something in mind for the next challenge and will post shortly when got a bit of time clear of preparation for the annual Festival of the Brussels Sprout.

Thanks, Lunarbo. Cheers, Chris.
                          Just chuggin' along.

Comment

Working...
                          X