Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Threat to the Grey Market

Originally posted by Wayne Els View Post
    OK, that's confirmed what Nickorando said. However this is relatively recent and seems to be at odds with what I've just read on their website:

Local Sales Tax
    If the order is shipped within New York State , the law requires that local sales tax be added to the order total including the amount of the shipping charge.

We do not collect tax for orders shipped out of New York State. Purchases in our store are subject to an 8.875% local sales tax. This tax is not a VAT, and cannot be recovered by non-USA visitors when returning home.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/Hel...r/SalesTax.jsp

The sales tax (if you pay it) is less than 9% which is still a lot less than vat.
    The situation IS changing - there's new legislation which permits states to levy sales tax on all online sales - this is designed to protect physical shops. Personally, I'm all for keeping real shops where you can try stuff out and get decent advice, even if it costs a bit more. Although I generally use LCE, and always ask them for their best price - which is normally competitive. And I know I'm not ripping everybody else off because I'm not guilty of VAT evasion.

As to the tax being lower - yeah, but then we have the NHS. All a case of priorities, really.
    Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

Originally posted by nickorando View Post

As to the tax being lower - yeah, but then we have the NHS. All a case of priorities, really.
      Yeah and we have Amazon, Starbucks, et al that HMG seem to not want to pay taxes either. Like you say, all a case of priorities really.
      TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Els View Post
        Yeah and we have Amazon, Starbucks, et al that HMG seem to not want to pay taxes either. Like you say, all a case of priorities really.
        Quite agree, we really should make these so-and-sos pay their dues.
        Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

i can't really see the point of arguing about what goes on in america on here ,99.9% of forum members will not be buying from the states unless there on holiday .most of our grey market seems to come through via either remoter parts of the eu either lithuania or poland etc and will be genuine eu stock at there point of sale prices .
          in certain cases it would in fact sometimes be cheaper to hop on a easy jet flight to those countries and buy direct and still save a parcel of money with no taxes involved ,the only problem being the language barrier when bargaining a price .i did in fact do a price comparison while out in poland a couple of years ago in a large curries type electrical store in a shopping centre and there was a substantial difference to u.k prices .and canon europe would have to honour the warranty on items bought there as its eu.
          i have no doubt this is the probable route taken by the likes of H.DEW although the other large grey company seems to import via HK.
          not to worry anyway i don't think my £3.50 a week pension rise is going to fund anything new and shiny for a while

Comment

I am not Shure if canon uk honors warranty work on gray market camera's and lens but canon usa did and now seeks reimbursement from the importers. on a side note I have always bought in a brick and mortar store. small shops not super stores now travel 135 miles to cape cod to buy items at full price and state tax but I get a warm welcome good advice a tryout of the item. something's you cant get in a online store or a super store. god forbid you want to walk out side to snap a few photos to see how the lens dose outside.
            ti1 70D 5Dmk3 10-22 ef-s 50mm1.8 mk1 70-200 4 is l 400 5.6l 100mm macro is l 18-135 stm ef-s
            1.4 tele mk3 now the 85 1.8 ef lens 16-35 4 is l 50 1.4 canon

Comment

Working...
            X