Threat to the Grey Market

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Threat to the Grey Market

If Canon win & then decide to go after the companies that import into the UK/Europe it could get interesting:

Get your gavels ready. Canon USA has filed a pair of lawsuits against a handful of online photography retailers in an attempt to halt the...
    Russell
    Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Re: Threat to the Grey Market

when one door closes another opens and the grey importers make too much to not find a work around
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

The article seems to be incorrectly titled as the cameras shown are either fake or rebadged 2nd hand ones? Grey imports are (in my understanding) a genuine product that is imported not via the company's preferred distributor.
      TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

I agree with Wayne Els.The article should be corrected.
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Els View Post
          The article seems to be incorrectly titled as the cameras shown are either fake or rebadged 2nd hand ones? Grey imports are (in my understanding) a genuine product that is imported not via the company's preferred distributor.
          Or is it that Canon are saying that these shops are trying to hide the origin of the unit when they are selling items where they know the buyer is in a different geographical region?
          John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Comment

these shops are trying to hide the origin of the unit
            You are correct John. The article specifically states that the 5DIII was purchased as"new". Further on it poses the question:

What will also prove interesting going forward is the fact more established retailers such as B&H and Adorama also sell grey market equipment. Will Canon be going after them in the future?
            and concludes with the thought:

It’s unlikely this legal battle will end anytime soon, but if Canon is to come out as the winner, it could very well mean the era of grey market camera equipment is gone.
            US lawyers being what they are this one could run and run. But of course the real solution to grey imports would be for Canon to normalise their prices worldwide (albeit allowing for currency fluctuation) and not ripping off consumers (particularly in the UK) where we are forced to pay pound for dollar despite a 1:1.5 ratio.
            Russell
            Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX

Comment

Originally posted by Columbarius View Post

US lawyers being what they are this one could run and run. But of course the real solution to grey imports would be for Canon to normalise their prices worldwide (albeit allowing for currency fluctuation) and not ripping off consumers (particularly in the UK) where we are forced to pay pound for dollar despite a 1:1.5 ratio.
              agree, people wouldn't try the cheat the system if it was a fare one
              :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

When comparing UK and USA prices, keep in mind that UK prices usually include VAT at 20%. USA prices are usually advertised without tax, which is added at point of sale (it varies from state to state).
                Robert
                robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Scott View Post
                  When comparing UK and USA prices, keep in mind that UK prices usually include VAT at 20%. USA prices are usually advertised without tax, which is added at point of sale (it varies from state to state).
                  Yes but state sales tax is not applicable on internet purchases. Which, given the death of the high street in the UK is the bulk of sales nowadays.
                  TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

Yes but state sales tax is not applicable on internet purchases. Which, given the death of the high street in the UK is the bulk of sales nowadays.
                    I thought we were comparing the price of camera equipment in the USA against the price in the UK.

However, even if you buy from the states, there is still VAT to pay when the equipment arrives in the UK. My point is that the higher prices in the UK are not entirely down to Canon.
                    Robert
                    robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

And increasingly, USians DO have to pay sales tax on internet purchases - they always have had to if the company has a presence in the same state as the customer.
                      Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

Robert is of course correct, the UK/US price differential is not solely down to FX rates. Though for many years most consumer electronics were priced on a £:$ equivalence.

The other Grey import scam is of course to understate the value of the imported goods and so minimise VAT and other duties.
                        Russell

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Scott View Post
                          I thought we were comparing the price of camera equipment in the USA against the price in the UK.

However, even if you buy from the states, there is still VAT to pay when the equipment arrives in the UK. My point is that the higher prices in the UK are not entirely down to Canon.
                          I was comparing. I wasn't talking about importing from the US into the UK. The price of something bought in the US online shipping somewhere in the US does not, in my experience attract state sales tax. That dollar price is usually significantly cheaper than the same item bought in the UK.

Comment

I was comparing. I wasn't talking about importing from the US into the UK. The price of something bought in the US online shipping somewhere in the US does not, in my experience attract state sales tax.
                            B&H Photovideo, New York City, appears to charge sales tax on equipment mailed to addresses in the USA.
                            Robert
                            robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

OK, that's confirmed what Nickorando said. However this is relatively recent and seems to be at odds with what I've just read on their website:

Local Sales Tax
                              If the order is shipped within New York State , the law requires that local sales tax be added to the order total including the amount of the shipping charge.

We do not collect tax for orders shipped out of New York State. Purchases in our store are subject to an 8.875% local sales tax. This tax is not a VAT, and cannot be recovered by non-USA visitors when returning home.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/Hel...r/SalesTax.jsp

The sales tax (if you pay it) is less than 9% which is still a lot less than vat.

Comment

Working...
                              X