Mini Tripods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mini Tripods

Just wondering if any members have have any experience using mini/tabletop tripods with an DSLR and lens attached.

I want to shoot the action from behind the goal and need a small but stable tripod to hold my 5D or 500D with a 16-35mm attached so a far bit of weight to carry.would like a three legged tripod (not a gorillapod type)any suggestions or tip welcome before i order the wrong one and won't do the job i want it to do.

Paul
    EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
    Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Re: Mini Tripods

an option would be a travel tripod Paul - I bought "Brian" from 3 legged thing and when not extended it would make a great table top tripod and the ball head it comes with puts the Manfrotto one I have to shame - will take the weight as I've put 5D with 11-24 and even extended no problems
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Thanks Ian
      Just had a look on youtube and probably bigger than i need though it is small and neat.
      I think i'm looking for the manfrotto pixi evo/ or the 709b tabletop version. but as i can't physically see or hold one I'm not 100% they will do the job, that said I'm sure these are what they use at most professional football games behind the goals??

paul
      EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.

Comment

just had a look out of interest as I've got the camera on it now after some failed attempts of flower photos - it stands 18" high to lens height if thats any help
        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
          just had a look out of interest as I've got the camera on it now after some failed attempts of flower photos - it stands 18" high to lens height if thats any help
          Thanks for info Ian much appreciated.

Paul

Comment

Paul, this is probably not very helpful because it doesn't seem to be sold any more, but for my table top stuff I use an Ergo Rest Multi Tripod, as reviewed at no 3 of: http://www.wexphotographic.com/?/arouse/beans.html
            It is certainly low and sturdy enough for me (albeit I don't have huge lenses as you can see from my signature block) although my biggest niggle is a lack of rotation (which I guess I could fix by putting a ball-head on). And for you, because 2 of the 3 legs have a bar connecting them it might not be as stable on bumpy ground as traditional tripod legs.
            Canon EOS 7D
            EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
            Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
            flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Many thanks Alex
              I had a look through Wex tripods again and found this comment about the manfrotto 709 which hopefully will give me a bit more confidence to buy one, so You've been a help guiding me back to have a look at Wex website again.

"This little beauty holds my D700 with 70-200 VR Lens and manages to balance with ease"

Comment

Originally posted by paul linton View Post
                Many thanks Alex
                I had a look through Wex tripods again and found this comment about the manfrotto 709 which hopefully will give me a bit more confidence to buy one, so You've been a help guiding me back to have a look at Wex website again.

Paul I just saw this, I have a 709b but haven't really used it much as I haven't had the need, I can if you wish try it with several combinations of lenses on my 1dx or 50d for you. Though you may have something by now.
                Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Also worth looking at Sirui tripods.

John

Comment

I have this little Manfrotto pocket "pod" which I have used with my 500d with either 18-55 or 50mm attched, and it works surprisingly well! Wouldn't want to chance anything much bigger, but it does what it sets out to do. I only got it because Comet were selling off stock at dirt cheap prices. Think I paid about 3 quid for it and 7 quid for a Manfrotto mono pod, so well worth a chance!!

The video is worth a watch!

Hope this helps,

Garry
                    Last edited by digiman; 10-02-2016, 12:35.
                    Garry Macdonald on Flickr
                    Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

paul if its a mini tripod that only works as a tripod i would be wary using it with expensive gear in case of wind or a knock toppling it over ,the other way round it is to get a mid sized carbon fibre that has multi position legs ,i.e you can spread them wide open and get about 6 inches off the ground .this is certainly the way i would go with decent gear anyway

Comment

I have cheap 7dayshop tabletop tripod from Amazon. Takes my 70D with kit lens or my 55-200 usmiii or my 75-300ii comfortably, as will hold 1.5kg according to specs, but with all legs shut, I reckon it should take about 2-4 Kg, as head is same as my Hama Star 63 (QR is smaller, that's all) rated at 4kg. Its under a foot tall closed. However, I use my Silk Road more as it's heavier and sturdier and about 14 inches closed, but much better made. Nothing wrong with the other 2, the Giottos is all metal.

Comment

Sorry if I missed it but don't think anyone has mentioned using one of the better full size tri-pods that go down very low and will certainly not get blown over. This is achieved by removing the centre column.

Comment

Many thanks to all.
                            I seem to have missed a few posts that's come up on here.

I am all sorted with a slik mini Pro that does the job fine I can't have too much bigger as it's to go behind the goal during a game so can't have tripod legs sticking out too far. With the slik mini Pro it's small but takes the weight of a 5D + either 16-35 or the 24-105 without any problems it also fits nicely in my bag.

Thanks again Paul

Comment

I know you are sorted Paul, but I came across this that I thought was different and could solve a lot of peoples desires,

Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Working...
                              X