This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sub division of the Nature thread

I have raised this idea before and thought I would once again put forward this suggestion. I would like to see the Nature thread to have another sub division- wildlife (1) (a) Birds in the wild (b) birds in captivity (2) (a)Animals in the wild (b) animals in captivity. This would not only pose a different,but pleasant challenge to the members but also allow members to lock into the thread that they like best. I am not an expert nor would I call myself an experienced photographer; I am a keen amateur getting on in "years". I prefer to take photogrphs in the wild either birds or animals rather than in confined,captive places. It gives me a buzz. I am sure there are other members who would also like the challenge of wildlife photography.

I trust that the members will look into this seriously and good support by the members might persuade Robert to make the small amendments necessary.

Nathaniel
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Sub division of the Nature thread

Sounds good to me.
    Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

sounds like a very good idea to me nat ,i seldom take photos of captive birds or wildlife and if i do i label them as such ,there are however quite a lot of photos submitted that i know are taken at the likes of the british wildlife centre ,which to me equates to little more than zoo shots .
      and personally i think that even shots taken in wild nature reserves require a different type of skill to shots of animals /birds etc that are fenced in all there life .
      but to present a animal or bird on here or elsewhere for that matter with no explanation as to the circumstances i.e wild or captive is surely pure deception as unless you know you will just assume its down to the skills of the photographer when its more than likely just photoshop skills getting rid of the wires

Comment

I would like to add this. I often find it rather annoying to see some proper wildlife pics taken for example on Safari (several have been posted on the nature thread last year) & then find that it is superseded by another member,quite rightly of course,posting a picture of an Amur Tiger on that thread,taken in a zoo, and the exciting wildlife shot of say a lion immediately disappears. I must then scroll down to the previously seen thread and picture to get back to where I was. A proper sub-division would be beneficial to all members IMHO.
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

No real hang up with this either way. I think in general most people post images with an indication of shooting location, i.e. zoo, BWC.

Always prefer to shoot wildlife 'in the wild' but still enjoyed my time at BWC.
          Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Do you want to close the existing Birds and Wild animals sections and see four new sections, or convert the existing sections to 'in the wild' and see two new sections for Birds and Wild animals in 'captivity'?

Are birds in reserves and animals in national parks 'in captivity' or 'in the wild'? Just asking.
            Robert
            robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

This is only my personal, humble opinion. I think if the present birds section is subdivided into free flying birds in the wild(birds in the wild) and ones in captivity; similarly for the wildlife animals- Animals in the wild and those in captivity. Birds and animals in reserves can be classed as being in the wild as the birds and animals have to forage for their own food and they are free to come and go. Perhaps other members like Jeff,Brian Sudgen and otbhers might have a different opinon on this.

Comment

I,m with nat on this ,I.e RSPB reseverves and other wildlife trust ones just provide a suitable environment for the wildlife it's still no guarantee they will be there or can be found ,and sometimes it's a case of walking several miles to get your shot .
                Whereas in the likes of the BWC or birds of prey centres spread around the country the birds and animals are kept captive in a environment and cannot escape ,so your ensured that you will get a result ..I.e yesterday I was up to the top of my wellies in water at times getting the owl shots that's the difference .
                So yes I personally would like to see the sections split into wild and captive sections please

Comment

My view on it, for what it is worth, is that although I accept that there needs to be a structure for threads within a forum, what those sections actually are makes no difference to me as I come in through 'New Posts' and click on threads based solely upon their title (and to a lesser extent who started them). So I'm happy to go with the majority if others see benefit in it for them.

Originally posted by Robert Scott View Post
                  Do you want to close the existing Birds and Wild animals sections and see four new sections, or convert the existing sections to 'in the wild' and see two new sections for Birds and Wild animals in 'captivity'?
                  My only real concern is more general in that changes like this often end up in closed sections that can clog up the forum unless you are careful. So if you do do this, I suggest converting an existing sections, with a note, and adding other, just as you did with the creation of the Nudes section a couple of years ago.
                  Canon EOS 7D
                  EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                  Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                  flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

if you look at recent uploads in the nature section there is one titled "red fox 11 " that to my belief was taken at the british wildlife centre ,but carries no indication of that fact ,and i think that alone justifies nats purpose behind this thread ,because at this moment it time its classed as a "wild animal " but should in fact be classed as a wild animal in captivity .
                    and has already raised a comment from other members querying whether its wild or captive

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                      if you look at recent uploads in the nature section there is one titled "red fox 11 " that to my belief was taken at the british wildlife centre ,but carries no indication of that fact ,and i think that alone justifies nats purpose behind this thread ,because at this moment it time its classed as a "wild animal " but should in fact be classed as a wild animal in captivity .
                      and has already raised a comment from other members querying whether its wild or captive
                      Exactly my point. I am sure that a more practical sub-division of the nature thread would benefit all members by removing doubts and ambiguity.

Comment

I'd go for Nat and Jeffs suggestion, wild and captive, with captive to include falconers birds(although as an ex falconer myself I can assure you even those birds are "wild").
                        Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

New sections have been added to the 'Nature' category for 'Birds in captivity' and 'Animals in captivity'. The original 'Birds' and 'Animals' sections have been renamed 'Birds in the wild' and 'Animals in the wild', but previous posts in these sections have been left unchanged.

Feedback welcome.
                          Robert
                          robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

This is a much better classification. It might be helpful to all members,esp the new members to give a very short description of what is to be expected in the "captivity" section such as for birds- Zoos,birds of prey centres,BWC and so on and for animals a similar description so that members don't post their images in the incorrect section.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                              This is a much better classification. It might be helpful to all members,esp the new members to give a very short description of what is to be expected in the "captivity" section such as for birds- Zoos,birds of prey centres,BWC and so on and for animals a similar description so that members don't post their images in the incorrect section.
                              Done.
                              Robert
                              robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Working...
                              X