This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sub division of the Nature thread

My question hasn't been answered. Is a better classification good or bad?
    Last edited by Nathaniel; 12-01-2016, 19:01.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
      While there has been an increased in membership, it's somewhat telling that none of the new members felt it necessary to comment in this thread. As far as I can tell, no one posted in this discussion that joined after 2012.
      As one of the "new members" who has only just got round to looking at this thread because I've been otherwise engaged today, I for one welcome clarification of the nature (pun intended) of the environment in which a photo was taken - it neither adds to nor detracts from the merits (or otherwise) of the photograph per se, but just helps to put it in context. Having said that, I could live with either arrangement - it is not worth falling out over. Just my two penn'orth.
      John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Is a better classification good or bad?
        waste of time

As I have said, its not whether a shot is captive or wild, this is a forum on which to post images, get feedback and so improve our photography, therefor it makes not a jot of difference in wildlife, whether the subject is captive or wild, what I look at is - is it sharp, a good composition exposure and free of any distractions - that is what makes a good wildlife shot and is the difference between the shot being just a "snap" or a "photograph".

Stan
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

calm down all round is the best bet ,nat made a valid request one i happen to agree with ,robert obviously asked the pertinent question and was satisfied with the answer .so lets just carry on posting use it as it should be used ,and before it was implemented at least one other member asked stan whether his fox shot was wild or captive ,so to my mind that makes the change even more valid .
          that is unless of course you have something to hide , the winner of the british wildlfe photography award a couple of years ago springs to mind here ,the fox jumping the gate one ,the winner was stripped of his title and winnings due to using a tame animal .so it seems the precedent has already been set .
          and to coin a phrase from the t.v show take me out
          NO LIKEE NO POSTY

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
            My question hasn't been answered. Is a better classification good or bad?
            How far do you want to go? Maybe subdivisions for age groups, another for shots taken with or without wellies. How about another split for wildlife shots taken within the comfort of a hide as opposed to those out in the open.
            As has just been mentioned how about a thought for the Robert for running the forum.

John

Comment

Personally think it was unnecessary and it doesn't bother me one way or the other.

Don't think anybody on here has tried deceive anyone.
              Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

My question has still not been answered. "Is a better classification good or bad"- a classification that is much more clear to those who view the images. There is also much more skill involved in taking pictures in the wild than in captivity. I recollect the trouble that Paul Stewart went to for his Kingfisher pictures. I am sure members remember Paul.
                Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

My question has still not been answered
                  Nat, Myself, John, Ant and John have answered your question - time to put it to bed I think

stan
                  Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                  flickr

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
                    Personally think it was unnecessary and it doesn't bother me one way or the other.

Don't think anybody on here has tried deceive anyone.
                    I've read all of the comments and wasn't sure whether to add my thoughts or not, mainly as wildlife photography is not something that I'm keen to get into, each to our own. Surely the overall quality of the image and if the taker is pleased is the most important element? Unless I'm mistaken we are all amateurs who use and post aren't we?

In summary then, I agree with Ants comments above.
                    Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Just stumbled across this thread and I can't honestly see what all the fuss is about. Stan and others would often state if shots were taken at a wildlife centre. I also have no problem with splitting the classifications but feel it was fine as was.

Bill.
                      7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

'Birds in captivity' and 'Animals in captivity' sections have been removed.

'Birds in the wild' and Animals in the wild' sections have been changed back to their original names of 'Birds' and 'Animals'.

Posts in 'Birds in captivity' and 'Animals in captivity' have been moved to 'Birds' and 'Animals' as appropriate.

This thread is now closed.
                        Robert
                        robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Working...
                        X