Why is shutter count kept so secretive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is shutter count kept so secretive?

Having just bought a used body, and also, having seen many threads regarding this subject, I wonder, why on earth do Canon,(and I guess other manufacturers) make it such a rigmarole to get an accurate shutter count?

Just wondering!!??

Garry
    Garry Macdonald on Flickr
    Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Re: Why is shutter count kept so secretive?

I wish i knew thought it would be simple to find mine on the 5D but I'm struggling a little to get that info.
    Good for the seller not knowing the count, but not so good for a buyer.

Paul
    EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
    Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

I think that if you send it into Canon you can get an accurate shutter count - from what I read.

I assume they made it difficult to get so that it is also difficult to "fiddle" then. After all, nothing worse than someone putting the mileage back on a used car you are about to buy. Just a thought.
      Andy
      Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
      EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
      [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

I know what you're saying Andy, but Canon can stop you using third party batteries, lenses, grips etc due to their firmware "locks", so i am sure they could stop you fiddling the shutter count. Just seems a little ridiculous to me. I saw a 1dS with 1.25 million shutter actuations on MPB the other day. Surely that is something Canon would want to brag about!!

Comment

5D mkIII for sale with only 1'000 actuations honestly only a 1,000 if you don't believe me check it out yourself(good luck with that i say)

Paul
          EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
          Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

You could watch the videos in the following link. Seems to suggest that Magic Lantern ( runs from a card in your camera) will read the shutter count but the page linked to also gives suggestions for other software options to read the shutter count.
            Peter

Feel free to browse my
            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

I happen to have bodies that are quite easy to get a reading from, via shuttercount or other upload software. Was quite happy to find that my £100 1dSii had 230,000 actuations on it! Haven't checked my 500d yet, but I'd guess about 14,000. Just seems unnecessary for it to be so difficult to get a reading.

Comment

Have to agree with Digiman you have to jump through hoops to find an accurate shutter count and on my 1D3 its got to go be done via an approved service center during a repair and then apparently they're discouraged from giving it you by Canon, all seems rather odd for such a simple request to ascertain how many shots you've fired

Gord

Comment

Originally posted by GORDH View Post
                  Have to agree with Digiman you have to jump through hoops to find an accurate shutter count and on my 1D3 its got to go be done via an approved service center during a repair and then apparently they're discouraged from giving it you by Canon, all seems rather odd for such a simple request to ascertain how many shots you've fired

Gord
                  I asked MPB for shutter counts on a few 1diii bodies I was considering from them, and they told me that there are a few bodies that are extremely difficult to get counts on, 1diii being one of the most difficult. As you say, it can be attained during a repair or service, but has to be specifically requested for in advance, and will be charged for!! WHAT!

Comment

Yeh whats the big secret, its only a number after all and its not like you can alter it, the only real use is if you want to sell it and are requested for a shutter count as thats indicative of possible use and wear, cant for the life of me see any logical reason as to why its so damned difficult to get

Gord

Comment

I am veering towards Andy's point- to prevent possible manupilation of the actuations.
                      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

With todays technology, if someone with the tech savvie thought that manipulating the count on a camera would gain significant resale value, they would do it. I am quite sure there are individuals out there with the right knowledge and equipment that are more than able to "wind back the shutter" as it were. Is it really worth it though? Why not just have it available in the menu? Going digital with car milometers was supposed to counteract clocking, but apparently, with the right software, it is easier to do now than ever before, and you don't even have to use a screwdriver!

Comment

We ran a comprehensive article on the subject of shutter counts in the January-March 2014 issue of EOS magazine.

Early models in the EOS-1D series stored the information in EXIF data, but this is not the case with EOS cameras using DIGIC III or later processors.

I use 'Shuttercount' software (http://www.direstudio.com/shuttercount/) which has worked well with a variety of cameras tested at EOS magazine open days. Shuttercount costs $2.99 for the Mac version and $3.99 for the Windows version. You can use it for unlimited counts on all compatible EOS digital cameras (unlike some web-based programs which charge per count).

If you would like a free PDF of the EOS magazine article, please email me at robert.scott@eos-magazine.com
                          Robert
                          robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Cheers Robert for that info. I have just last week started my subscription to the fabulous EOS Magazine with digital add on, so I'll definitely check that article out! Does the article go in to the reasons for not making it easier to find the shutter count? Security etc?

Thanks again for that Robert,

Garry

Comment

Originally posted by digiman View Post
                              Cheers Robert for that info. I have just last week started my subscription to the fabulous EOS Magazine with digital add on, so I'll definitely check that article out! Does the article go in to the reasons for not making it easier to find the shutter count? Security etc Garry
                              No, only Canon knows that and they are not saying.
                              Robert
                              robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Working...
                              X