No announcement yet.

Why is shutter count kept so secretive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why is shutter count kept so secretive?

i use shuttercount as well ,when needed unfortunately it won't work on a 1D3 apparently only canon can do that

Comment

Regrettably the newer cameras, 7D2, 5DS-R are not supported so I expect all new cameras will also no longer work with Suttercount. There is no sign of an updates on the web site so I expect Canon has changed something that blocks the way the program extracted the information. It does give model and serial number but no more. There web site does list 7D2 but my one didn't work, 70D was OK. The other problem is the program monitors your computer, I have problems as I use a laptop docker, every time its used the program needs to be reactivated and after a time locks up due to "to many activations".
      Last edited by John7; 19-01-2016, 11:07.

Comment

I have used Mac versions of ShutterCount and EOS Inspector to check the shutter actuations of an EOS 7D Mark II. Both apps were compatible with the camera and both gave the same reading (always encouraging!).

Not currently compatible are the EOS 750D, 760D, 5D S and 5D R. I have tried the EOS 760D with both apps and can confirm that the camera is not recognised. The author of the ShutterCount apps says that, "Whether it's a firmware bug or a deliberate omission is not known at this time."
        Robert
        robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Methinks £££ or $$$ is the reason it's so hard to find. Mind you, a good idea is to count the number of times the image number resets itself
          AFAIK it resets at 9,999. So if it's on it's third time round, it will be 20 odd thousand, and the actual count will ROUGHLY be the figure on the screen, plus the number of times it's been found. So 5419 and three times round befor = 35,419. Simples. My 70D is on it's second time round, so will be somewhere between. 10-20k

Comment

Thanks Robert(Are we related)
            Have just installed shutter count on pc and checked my cameras, a 1D4 and a 7D and for both cameras count looks to be reasonably accurate or, as expected.
            Cheers.
            Neal Scott

Comment

Working...
            X