CF Card or SD Card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CF Card or SD Card?

I have the excellent 5D mkIII and always save my photos to a CF card.

I was wondering if there are any advantages in saving to a SD card instead?

What do you guys use?
    Colin

Colin Wallace Photography

Canon 5D MKIII / 24-105L F4 USM IS / 70-300L F4 USM IS

Re: CF Card or SD Card?

SD card is much slower. If you do a Web search there were lots of articles that highlight that the burst speed is slower when saving to SD or CF and SD.
    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
      SD card is much slower. If you do a Web search there were lots of articles that highlight that the burst speed is slower when saving to SD or CF and SD.
      We covered this on page 76 of EOS magazine July-September 2012. PDF image attached.

Dual card dilemma (JS 2012).pdf
      Robert
      robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

I do not know how many members save their pictures on CF or SD cards but I now save all my photos on an external hard drive as advised by many members.
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
          I do not know how many members save their pictures on CF or SD cards but I now save all my photos on an external hard drive as advised by many members.
          Nat he's talking about in the camera

I use either Colin as burst rate isn't a concern
          :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I have an SD just now and the rapid fire doesn't like it, CF card is my next buy as I am also thinking about shooting videos in the summer.
            Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

Oops! Apologies.
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Scott View Post
                We covered this on page 76 of EOS magazine July-September 2012. PDF image attached.

[ATTACH]14127[/ATTACH]
                An interesting article Robert.

Quote from article
                However, writing the image file to an SD card takes longer than to a CF card, so if an SD card is used the buffer clears more slowly and so fills up more quickly

I know that this was a test carried out on the 5diii, but, as far as you know, would it be the same for others also? I shoot with SD in my 1dsii, and have commented previously on the time the buffer takes to clear. I use SD because that's what my 500d uses, so that's what I've got! If CF cards clear quicker, maybe I need to invest!
                Garry Macdonald on Flickr
                Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by digiman View Post
                  An interesting article Robert.

Quote from article
                  However, writing the image file to an SD card takes longer than to a CF card, so if an SD card is used the buffer clears more slowly and so fills up more quickly

I know that this was a test carried out on the 5diii, but, as far as you know, would it be the same for others also? I shoot with SD in my 1dsii, and have commented previously on the time the buffer takes to clear. I use SD because that's what my 500d uses, so that's what I've got! If CF cards clear quicker, maybe I need to invest!
                  Yes, this will apply to all cameras.
                  Robert
                  robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Scott View Post
                    Yes, this will apply to all cameras.
                    Cheers,

Garry
                    Garry Macdonald on Flickr
                    Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

I shoot sport yet i still have both cards in my camera as the speed difference is not that noticeable unless you're shooting like a machine gun if i can survive most people surely can. Just make sure either card (SD or CF) has a quick read/write speeds otherwise both cards will be slow no matter what.

Paul
                      EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                      Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Think you'll find that the SD card in the slot but not being written too was proved to be false. Write speeds to CF and SD are somewhat different, CF much faster.

Now if I recall correctly there was some changes made to architecture on 7D2 so that issue wasn't as big a problem.

Anyway as said choosing right cards can make a significant difference. I've posted link before on different cards in 5D3 and there was some major differences. If I can find it again I'll post it.
                        Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS

Comment

Found the page again
                          This is a part of our SD/CF/XQD Database. The data in the table below tracks the time (in seconds) it took to write 20 RAW and 20 Fine Large JPG to the memory card. Timing commenced when the camera’s card status light illuminated, and stopped when the light went out. Each test cycle was performed […]

Best performance in green, both CF and SD listed.

Worth noting burst speed of best CF was 83 and best SD was 26.

Comment

This site is good for in-camera performance:

But it doesn't mention that inserting SD cards can't bend any pins in the camera and they are usable in a wider range of circumstances than CF cards (plus cheaper too..).

Comment

I did a test of different cards I had in a 7D2, it was a year ago, so there are possibly faster cards out there now?

Shooting a single continuous burst, the number of raw files it achieved in that one burst, and then the time it took to clear the buffer.

Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
                              Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Working...
                              X