More on Kenko TC 1.4 HD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More on Kenko TC 1.4 HD

Well, there was an hour of sunshine here this morning, first time it hasn't been practically dark since my TC arrived. I took the opportunity to do some tests with the TC, just out of my bedroom window.

Camera is 70D. Results may not apply to other models.

With Sigma 15 - 600 Contemporary : a/f fine up to 400mm. At 500 mm, a little slower, but gets there. No a/f possible at 600 mm. With this combination, I would say that the TC has limited use for moving subjects e.g BIF. After all, 400 mm x 1.4 only gives 560 mm equivalent and it makes more sense to use the Sigma on its own at 600mm. For still or slow moving subjects e.g a duck on water, 500 mm is possible with a/f giving 700 mm equivalent. Above that, only m/f is possible. Strangely, at 500 mm and the focus limiter set for 10m to infinity I couldn't get a/f, while with full range it was OK, I would have expected the reverse.

My conclusion is that, with my camera at least, the TC has limited use with this Sigma lens.

However, I didn't get the TC for use with this lens and expected these limitations. I'm writing this to advise anyone who might buy the TC primarily for this purpose. You might be disappointed.

The TC works perfectly with both my 60 mm Canon and 90 mm Tamron macro lenses, which is what I primarily wanted it for. With the Tamron, it gives the full frame equivalent of about a 200 mm F4 macro lens, should be ideal for butterflies etc. With the 60 mm Canon, it gives the equivalent of twice life size images at closest focus, not very useful in the field, but I need to photograph a large number of insect specimens on a special table top setup, for which it will be most helpful.

Of course, it also works with the 55 - 250 STM providing a very lightweight telephoto, a useful carry around combination when I don't want to carry the weight of the Sigma.
    EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Re: More on Kenko TC 1.4 HD

Thanks Richard for this review. Very helpful indeed. I might add that I bought the kenko primarily for use with my Canon 55-250mmSTM lens to give me a lightweight telephoto lens for travel purposes. It also gives me the bonus of using the same lens on my full frame 6D with this TC.

With the Sigma lens, I agree with you that it would be much better to use the lens without the TC as the lens gives a reach of 600mm. However, it depends perhaps largely on the Camera as well, which as you know, Jeff is very happy with his camera + Sigma +Kenko.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I used the Kenko with my Canon 100-400l and found it would auto focus and give me good focus points even when the camera said it was too dark and the shutter wouldn't fire. Not tried it with any other lens or body yet.
      Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

Unfortunately it's the f8 rule that canon have built into there bodies ,if you have a f8 focussing body it does work with the big sigmas ,albeit mine shows at f9 when connected and I,m over the moon with it ,the 70d is not a f8 body though so you have to be carefull of the minimum aperture of any lenses in use

Comment

Working...
        X