Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mirror-less Cameras

Hi
    Advice please, having sold all my Canon gear as just to heavy at my age so now looking for a good compact carry round. I used to have a G9 years ago and great little camera.
    So where do I go now, never looked at mirror-less but is that the way to go please ?
    Thanks Graham
    Canon 100D, 18-135 IS STM, 50 1.8 STM, 220EX Flash.

Re: Mirror-less Cameras

I am not an expert on mirror-less cameras and I am sure our more experienced members will advice on that. I too have an age/weight problem but I am boxing on as long as possible with the kit you can see on my signature below. I can certainly recommend the Canon G15 from my list,a compact which I carry most of the time, when I am going out, even to do my shopping,just in case I come across a decent photo opportunity.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I dropped my canon gear a few years ago and went to mirrorless...Olympus Pen and OMD cameras....really good until you need to focus on moving objects...I then switched to Fuji which I feel are better having apsc sensors rather than smaller four thirds sensors....but still not good for action So now I'm back with Canon....and still have a small Fuji system for when I travel light... I'd go for Fuji ...but beware for action it may not satisfy this need.
      Very small sensors on compacts are very good now.....but have limitations regarding noise. Again Fuji have excellent compacts.
      By the way....all Fuji lenses are fantastic
      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

I have a Canon Powershot G7X that I use as a carry round when I don't want a big DSLR. Love it! My partner also has a Sony A7ii - great camera. But beware the limitations Brian has mentioned!

Good luck

Richard
        Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

I have a Canon M3 mirrorless outfit for the same reasons you quote, and am finding it ideal on a prolonged trip to Barbados and St Vincent. Even covered a motor racing meeting with it! I do have the add on electronic viewfinder which is a big help with the ambient lighting levels, and the range of dedicated lenses - in effect almost a full DSLR outfit but without the weight penalty!
          Hope this is of some help.
          Quentin

Comment

For less weight I use the EOS M3 as well as the Canon 100Dw/Tamron 18-250mm. For Landscape still photography, the M3 is my go to. For a nice light walk around camera, with a quicker focus and all the reach I need, then it is the 100D w/Tamron 18-250mm

Tom

Comment

Graham
              Looking at the list of your gear, it was pretty heavyweight stuff. Not all DSLRs and lenses are so heavy. For example, the 5D Mark II body alone weighs in at 810 grams, that's almost twice the weight of the 100D at 407 grams. The M3 body weighs in at 367 grams, not much lighter than the 100d, though of course with more megapixels. The lenses you had are also pretty hefty. Have you considered a lighter body like the 100D, as mentioned by Tom above? With the latest 18 - 55 mm STM it can be had for £100 less than the M3 with the same lens. Add the 55 - 250 mm STM and you have kit which would weigh not much more than your 5d body alone. Certainly you wouldn't have the equal of your 5d and "L" lenses, but you are never going to get that with any lightweight system, whether SLR, compact or mirrorless. I can carry my old 450d with the 18 - 55 round my neck and the 55 - 250 in a jacket pocket and hardly notice they are there, while still having a pretty flexible system. Plus these "kit" lenses are a lot better these days. You could, of course, get the M3 with the same lens combination for about £150 more, whether that would be better I can't say.
              Richard
              EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Hi
                Many thanks all !!! Looked at many reviews and Canon do not rate to well-not a field they are keen on but no doubt will change!! Nat you must be fit !!
                Richard, yes heavy-pro gear, not needed but came at the right price.
                So early days and many options, so make a budget say around £500 and the Fuji XT10 looks good, any advice/opinions please.
                Thanks again
                Graham

Comment

Nobody has mentioned useability so far. Composing pictures through an optical viewfinder on the 100D or by squinting at the screen on the back of an M3 - particularly on a sunny day. Can you put a value on that, either in weight/volume or £ notes.

Comment

Composing a picture through the view finder on the 100D is no different than any of Canon's EOS DLSR, since it is not a mirror less camera. As for the M3, with the tilt screen, I have not had any issue on sunny days. Not like the original M.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
                      Composing a picture through the view finder on the 100D is no different than any of Canon's EOS DLSR, since it is not a mirror less camera. As for the M3, with the tilt screen, I have not had any issue on sunny days. Not like the original M.

Tom
                      I agree Tom. The only reason I bought the viewfinder for my M3 was that on this trip the sun shines bright EVERYDAY, and very bright too! At home in the UK it isn't that necessary, and the tilting screen works well.
                      Quentin

Comment

Ive not used an XT10 but I had an XT1...yes there were lots of control dials but I found they could be knocked out of setting too easily. Also the focus is still way behind a DSLR for any action shooting. As has been mentioned above a small DSLR would be the best weight and performance solution. I'm sure XT10 is a fine camera if the focus tracking is not an issue for you. I still use an XPro1...its no good with moving objects but I like using it and provides satisfying results.
                        If you have the cash then order an XPro2...its the latest and best Fuji so far....I think you would have to wait a month for one at least.
                        (but it still won't do what a Canon DSLR will do.)
                        Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

I shoot a lot with a mirrorless camera ( Sony A7R2) and the biggest disadvantage I have found is I can't post my pictures ( taken with it) on here ! Grrrr !
                          James
                          James Boardman Woodend
                          www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

How does sound for me, Fuji xt10 with 18-55 2.8, Curry's £715. Can buy separate for 50 quid less but ?

Comment

If you go to fuji be aware that there are XF and XC lenses...XF are supposedly higher grade but performance is great on them all. Also some have the aperture rings others don't. I have a friend who uses XC lenses with an XE1 and his images are similar to mine. Also check XE2...which has recently had firmware upgrades.
                              Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Working...
                              X