Photoshop Elements 11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photoshop Elements 11

Just tried Raw on the 70D, only to find out that Elements 11 don`t do it at all. What a pain it is as I had to convert the Raw file to DNG. Looks like if I ever try Raw again, it will be with the 1100D.

Re: Photoshop Elements 11

time to swap to LR :O) and don't say if, shooting in Raw offers so much more processing power
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
      time to swap to LR :O) and don't say if, shooting in Raw offers so much more processing power
      I will try Raw, so I will set my 1100D to that setting for good.

Comment

in my opinion if your serious about your photography then shooting Raw is the only way forward

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

With the 70D would it be fine to convert it to DNG files

Comment

DNG is also considered to be a RAW image file. It is Adobe’s proprietary image standard that was created to store image data in a generic, highly-compatible format,
            according to Adobe yes

Comment

Originally posted by Dave61 View Post
              With the 70D would it be fine to convert it to DNG files
              Have you considered using Canon's Digital Photo Professional (DPP) software? This is available on a disk which came with the camera.

DPP will not only convert your RAW files, but also allow a considerable amount of post-processing. And if you want to process elsewhere, you can save a TIFF file from DPP and open it in Lightroom or Photoshop.

Please don't be misled by photographers who insist that everyone should be shooting RAW.

Here is an extract from our article on file formats published in the current (April-June 2016) issue of EOS magazine.

All the images you shoot will probably end up as 8-bit JPEGs as this is the format most photographers use for printing on photo paper, posting on websites and saving on hard drives. The question is how you get to this stage.

If you select a JPEG image quality on your EOS, all the processing is done in the camera. Some photographers say this puts the camera in control, but that is not strictly true. There are a lot of adjustments you can make to obtain the images you want.

If you elect to shoot a RAW file, you are postponing the image processing until you have the file on a computer. The advantage here is that you can make changes and then go back to the original RAW file if they do not work out. There is no second chance with a JPEG. (Actually, you can make a few adjustments to a JPEG image on a computer, but the results are rarely as good as working on a RAW file.)

It really comes down to how important it is for you to squeeze the last ounce of quality from your images and how much time you want to spend in front of your computer screen. If you are shooting family pictures or capturing holiday memories, JPEG is probably a good choice. If your aim is exhibition prints or travel photos for publication, shooting RAW files might be the better option.
              Robert
              robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Please don't be misled by photographers who insist that everyone should be shooting RAW.
                I was not trying to misled but put MY view across

Comment

Thank you both, I would like to try Raw on the 70D as I know it is a great camera for me. Thanks too Robert about the DPP I do have that on the laptop, plus I downloaded the New DPP 4 this morning. Can I shoot in both Raw+ JPEG on the 70D and if yes how do I set it ? Thanks again

Comment

Hmm Dave are you sure? It's certainly there on PSE12 and looking on YouTube there are instructions on using RAW files with PS11. I have a 70D like you but don't see any distinction between RAW file obtained from a 1100D or 70D

Import a RAW file into Organiser, Right click on the file and you should see an option to convert your RAW file. The screen comes in over the Organiser page, after you've tweaked it you can move to the Editor for further play.

I'm writing the above from memory as my computer featuring PS12 is currently out of action. In its absence- and I miss it lots- I've had to rely on DPP4. This is a much improved tool on DPP3 and offers features such as individual colour tweaks that PS12 doesn't, and a digital lens optimiser to use with your Canon lenses. It's a bit slow to undertake modifications to your image and to "Save as..... " but definately a fine addition to have on your PC and of course, as Robert says, it's free.

I'm not going to join the Lightroom vs PS argument. Nor would I join the RAW v JPEG arguments except to say that since changing to RAW I've not used JPEG other than for a jpeg competition. ....
                    Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

HI Dave our posts have crossed.

You will find DPP4 a much improved beastie over DPP3

You can do RAW +JPEG together on the Menu button, first page (red -camera image) Image Quality
                      Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Thank you Bo, I will try it again

Comment

I would stick with Elements and convert your RAW files to DNG - Dee still has to do this with all her files as she only has CS3 on her computer and as far as I can see there is very little difference if any at all between the converted file and the original CR2. I don't know about the current version of DPP but using either elements or photoshop gives much more flexibility in editing

Stan
                          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                          flickr

Comment

Originally posted by lunarbo View Post
                            HI Dave our posts have crossed.

You will find DPP4 a much improved beastie over DPP3

You can do RAW +JPEG together on the Menu button, first page (red -camera image) Image Quality
                            Got the page up on camera screen but what do I set it too for both ? Sorry to be a pain

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                              I would stick with Elements and convert your RAW files to DNG - Dee still has to do this with all her files as she only has CS3 on her computer and as far as I can see there is very little difference if any at all between the converted file and the original CR2. I don't know about the current version of DPP but using either elements or photoshop gives much more flexibility in editing

Stan

Have to say I agree with Stan on this one and an easy workaround for Elements users who dont have the current batch of camera profiles such as with Elements 11 and the 70D, to get that you'd need to upgrade to a newer version

Comment

Working...
                              X