Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Photoshop Elements 11

Originally posted by Stan View Post
    I don't know about the current version of DPP but using either elements or photoshop gives much more flexibility in editing

Stan
    If you have not used the current version of DPP, how do you know that Elements and Photoshop give more flexibility? You might be right, but I wonder how you have reached this view.
    Robert
    robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

You could also try Raw Therapee which is also free
      Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

IMG_1785.jpg

I have RAW files at maxm size - gather ye pixels while ye may.

JPEG - as you like. If you just want them to show on your PC screen when you've got home from a shoot then anything small will do. If you want to tweak them in PS (but you're not going to since you're gonna try RAW, right?) then again get the maxm info you can.

The above will vary according to the size of your SD card but it's the RAW files that are massive, not your JPEGS
        Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

I have RAW files at maxm size - gather ye pixels while ye may.
          same here, cards are cheap so gather all the Raw data ..In my opinion
          :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

The above will vary according to the size of your SD card but it's the RAW files that are massive, not your JPEGS
            Sorry don't wish to confuse. The RAW and jpeg files are of course the same size whatever card you use.

You'll just fill it up quicker if you've got big files so beware if you've gone out with 2 GB card - I've done this when diving and you really can't change cards underwater

Doh! Homer Simpson moment

Comment

If you have not used the current version of DPP, how do you know that Elements and Photoshop give more flexibility? You might be right, but I wonder how you have reached this view.
              you have not read my post - I clearly state "I don't know about the current version" - ie my comment relates to versions before the current one

Stan
              Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
              flickr

Comment

Thanks very much again folks, weather here is horrible but here is a quick testing one, in Raw then a quick try in my old DPP. I know it is not great, but I will keep trying till I do get it, so I might be asking silly questions every so often. Raw is very new to me so I know I will make a lot of mistakes but will learn from them with your help.

Just Testing by David Ore, on Flickr

Comment

trust me when you go Raw you won't turn back "In my opinion"

but any questions post them away we are happy to help

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

Thanks Ian

Comment

BTW Dave like the image

Comment

Comment

OK Dave you've shot a RAW image, processed it and posted it. You're up and running - well done

You say this is in DPP3 - do recommend you use DPP4 as it does so much more than 3.... including showing your in-focus spots which is great to "Quick Check" that you have the focus where you wanted it. Videos on Canon website and YouTube by John McSomeone

And I believe there's also your PSE11 waiting for you..

Comment

Originally posted by lunarbo View Post
                            OK Dave you've shot a RAW image, processed it and posted it. You're up and running - well done

You say this is in DPP3 - do recommend you use DPP4 as it does so much more than 3.... including showing your in-focus spots which is great to "Quick Check" that you have the focus where you wanted it. Videos on Canon website and YouTube by John McSomeone

And I believe there's also your PSE11 waiting for you..
                            Thanks Bo, tomorrow will be a good test for me as out to the park, I will leave the 70D on Raw for now

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Scott View Post
                              Have you considered using Canon's Digital Photo Professional (DPP) software? This is available on a disk which came with the camera.

DPP will not only convert your RAW files, but also allow a considerable amount of post-processing. And if you want to process elsewhere, you can save a TIFF file from DPP and open it in Lightroom or Photoshop.

Please don't be misled by photographers who insist that everyone should be shooting RAW.

Here is an extract from our article on file formats published in the current (April-June 2016) issue of EOS magazine.

All the images you shoot will probably end up as 8-bit JPEGs as this is the format most photographers use for printing on photo paper, posting on websites and saving on hard drives. The question is how you get to this stage.

If you select a JPEG image quality on your EOS, all the processing is done in the camera. Some photographers say this puts the camera in control, but that is not strictly true. There are a lot of adjustments you can make to obtain the images you want.

If you elect to shoot a RAW file, you are postponing the image processing until you have the file on a computer. The advantage here is that you can make changes and then go back to the original RAW file if they do not work out. There is no second chance with a JPEG. (Actually, you can make a few adjustments to a JPEG image on a computer, but the results are rarely as good as working on a RAW file.)

It really comes down to how important it is for you to squeeze the last ounce of quality from your images and how much time you want to spend in front of your computer screen. If you are shooting family pictures or capturing holiday memories, JPEG is probably a good choice. If your aim is exhibition prints or travel photos for publication, shooting RAW files might be the better option.
                              I must agree with what Robert has said. I shoot mainly in Jpeg as it is quicker and I don't wish to spend time in front of my computer processing RAW images. Think of someone who goes out to take photos of say a bird ,and gives a burst to produce 300 or so shots. Then he/she goes out the next day and gives another burst and produces over 500 images. Imagine the time that the person will spend in front of a computer to process those pictures. I recently stood next to a gentleman with a 5D3 & he saw the same Lapwing which I have posted elsewhere and he was using a burst to shoot about 50 frames of that bird, whereas I took about 12 shots of the Lapwing in different poses. That was good enough for me. I have other interests as well such as music, theatre, eating out,church activities etc.Thats MHO. However, if I have an important assignment,that cannot be repeated, I will play it safe by shooting in RAW/Jpeg. My pictures on those occasions will not exceed say 60-100 shots.Also RAW would be best for those photographers who take pictures for a living, or those who enter competitions and similar.These occasions are far and few for me. As Robert says "It really comes down to.......better option"
                              Last edited by Nathaniel; 11-05-2016, 18:18.
                              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                                I must agree with what Robert has said. I shoot mainly in Jpeg as it is quicker and I don't wish to spend time in front of my computer processing RAW images. Think of someone who goes out to take photos of say a bird ,and gives a burst to produce 100 or so shots. Then he/she goes out the next day and gives another burst and produces over 200 images. Imagine the time that the person will spend in front of a computer to process those pictures. For me, I have other interests as well such as music, theatre, eating out,church activities etc.Thats MHO. However, if I have an important assignment,that cannot be repeated, I will play it safe by shooting in RAW/Jpeg. My pictures on those occasions will not exceed say 60-100 shots.Also RAW would be best for those photographers who take pictures for a living, or those who enter competitions and similar.These occasions are far and few for me. As Robert says "It really comes down to.......better option"
                                I will have to be careful Nat, as I have taken hundreds of photos when in the park, so will have to slow it down a bit. Hope you are well too
                                Last edited by Dave61; 11-05-2016, 17:56.

Comment

Working...
                                X