X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade recommendations from 550D

Hi guys and gals

Can I ask what people's recommendations are to upgrade from my 550D body which has decided to pack up today (will no longer power up)? I've done some research and can see that ordinarily, if you're happy with the 550D, there's little point in upgrading but, as the camera is no longer functioning, I'd like to see if I can find an affordable upgrade. I'm quite happy to buy second hand, up to around £500 but would want to be able to use my existing range of EF and EFS lenses.

Photography is primarily a hobby for me. Since doing a short course last year I always using manual settings, albeit still really learning to get to grips with them fully. I prefer landscape photography but recently changed jobs and now work as an estate agent, so am regularly being tasked with doing photographs of the properties we're marketing (which is proving to be great practise for me in terms of using the manual settings to adapt to different spaces/lighting, getting to use my flashgun etc!).

Any guidance/advice would be very much appreciated.

TIA :)

Re: Upgrade recommendations from 550D

Welcome to the forum. So you have narrowed your selection to the Crop Sensors, but if your looking for a nice replacement for the 550D, the 100D (SL1) is a very nice, light walk around camera that is very functional. I'm sure Nat would also agree with me.

Tom

Comment

750D or 760D.
      Malcolm.
      760D
      EF 50mm f1.8,EF 28-135 IS USM,
      Sigma 10-20 DC HSM,EFS 18-55 IS STM
      EF 70-300 IS USM
      Kenko Teleplus HD 1.4 DGX
      YN685ll,YN568EXll,YN468,YN622TX and YN622TRX's.

Comment

Ooh, food for thought guys, thank you. I like the sound of both your suggestions but the nerdy side of me really likes the sound of the 760D (I've run comparisons of your suggestions against each other and what I'm used to, and the pros and cons of the different specs, sizes, weights etc).

The price differences are quite significant, but I'm thinking the extra cost might just be worth it! I'll mull it over for a day or two before jumping in and making a purchase.

Thanks again, Hayley

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
          Welcome to the forum. So you have narrowed your selection to the Crop Sensors, but if your looking for a nice replacement for the 550D, the 100D (SL1) is a very nice, light walk around camera that is very functional. I'm sure Nat would also agree with me.

Tom
          I agree with Tom 100%. I have got the 100D on Tom's advice and I have absolutely no regrets. It is an excellent,small, light weight camera & above all I can attach a large EF lens 70-300mm L lens and walk about without difficulty to shoot wildlife. You should be able to get this for around £300 new.
          Last edited by Nathaniel; 18-05-2016, 09:17.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I'd look to see if you can find a used 70D for that sort of money, I think you'd like it. Failing that I'd say a 760D.

Oh, a new 70D can be had for £603 from a site several people here recommend, so I'd say that:

It's a lot of camera for the money, although check the weight difference to a 550D.

Compare unlimited number of cameras with lenses, see how compact or bulky a camera is and sort by height, width, depth and weight.

Note T2i = 550D, T6s = 760D

Comment

Would highly recommend the 760, very easy to use the manual settings with this camera and lighter than the 70
              Eos760, Sigam 10-20, Tamron 70-300vc, canon 24-105 is, ef 50 f1.8, Vanguard Alta Pro 254 Carbon Fiber Tripod With SBH-50 Ball Head

https://www.flickr.com/gp/132221981@N07/0No236

Comment

It's 755g vs 565g, but you do get:
                7fps vs 5
                98% coverage viewfinder vs 95%
                Pentaprism viewfinder not Pentamirror
                Larger viewfinder image - 0.95x vs 0.82x (I'd check this in a shop, as that's quite a bit)
                Dual Pixel AF
                1/8000 shutter vs 1/4000
                More than twice the battery life (so you save some of the weight difference by not needing so many batteries)
                Digic 5+ vs Digic 6 for the 760D
                AF Microadjustment
                Weather sealing
                Similar sizes

Whether you are shooting for pleasure or for profit, Canon EOS digital SLR and Compact System cameras empower you to be creative. State-of-the-art features, superb image quality and intuitive design concepts come together to deliver advanced performance you can rely on and enjoy.

Capture the moment in stunning stills and Full-HD movies with Canon EOS 70D. Featuring an advanced 19-point AF system, Dual Pixel CMOS AF technology & more

Not that I'm going back on my earlier comment about checking out the weight, but the 70D is a noticeably more serious camera for similar money.

Comment

Canon has just announced their summer cashback offers, which include £50 cashback on the EOS 760D.

Robert
                  robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

..... the 70D is a noticeably more serious camera for similar money.
                    I'm with DrJon on this and think the 70d would take you off the entry level camera to the next rung. Lots of bang for your buck

Also brilliant in live view for tack sharp focusing... good for your internal shots.

However the 760 is fresh and new, shiny out of the box.....is it this that's swaying you??!!
                    Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Hi everyone and thank you for all your comments.

I haven't taken the plunge yet but continue to veer towards the 760 (I'd had the luxury of having had a few days off work to relax and give it some serious thought!).

It's the mod con features and functionality which are causing me to lean in this direction. I fully respect the reasons for suggesting the 100D but I have become accustomed to the position of the buttons etc on my 550 and the 760 isn't wildly different, meaning a relatively easy transition. It's got lots of mod cons which I would love to make use of, and I particularly like having the added advantage of having the LCD panel on top now that I'm using manual settings. The 70D would be seriously tempting, but I think the weight will be restrictive for me, at least for now. Maybe in years to come if I progress further with my photography it will be worth it, but not at this point, especially while I feel I'm still 'learning'.

Robert - thanks for the heads up about the cashback link, I didn't find that when I was looking at the Canon site the other night!

Comment

If you are not bothered about SLR, have you looked at the Canon M3, it will with an adaptor run the whole range of canon lenses, it can be controlled from the screen and can do manual, just a thought. It would probably suit your work needs. That all said, I would still go with an SLR.

Canon EOS M3 Review - The EOS M3 represents Canon’s first real step in to the enthusiast CSC market. See how it gets on in our full EOS M3 review.
                        Last edited by TonyT; 20-05-2016, 11:54.
                        Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Thanks, I've ordered the 760 now, I'm hoping it will arrive by tomorrow!

However, I now need to research suitable 'compact' cameras for my work colleagues to use when they have to go out and do take ons for new properties. Let my new mission commence!

Comment

Panasonic GX80 with the 7-14mm f4?

Comment

Originally posted by Twiggy_34 View Post
                              Thanks, I've ordered the 760 now, I'm hoping it will arrive by tomorrow!

However, I now need to research suitable 'compact' cameras for my work colleagues to use when they have to go out and do take ons for new properties. Let my new mission commence!
                              Suggest you post this query in the 'Canon compact digital cameras' category.
                              Robert
                              robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Working...
                              X