Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today only - free HDR software

Today (only) you can get Franzis' HDR Projects software for free from:
    HDR Projects 3 offers photo enthusiasts the tools to create masterful images. The software generates real 32 bit images, containing all of the brightness information...

It's a bit of a pain to register but persevere and you'll get there. (Last time around they gave away all the previous-version Projects software, over a period of time, starting with HDR, so this could be a good sign).

You can either combining multiple images into an HDR or just select a Raw file and work from that. Here's a copy of what I just wrote on GAotD about using it:

The Projects software is a set of (basically) stand-alone photographic processing tools, they do install as Photoshop plugins, but under File->Export, not as Filters, which IMHO doesn’t really count.

Oh, if anyone reading this doesn't know what HDR is, it stands for "High Dynamic Range" and is usually used to combine differently exposed photographs of a scene to end up with an image capturing a greater range of brightness than the camera can. The classic example is being in a dark room looking out on a brightly lit scene. The camera can show the detail in the room, with the Window solid white, or the detail outside the window but everything in the room is black. But taking a set of (typically three) exposure-bracketed images of the scene you can then combine them in some HDR software and have room and outside both visible in the picture.

With the HDR software in today's give-away you have an additional step beyond just opening a photograph, you have to select the images to combine and choose some options. I was very pleased to see it has support for Raw file import, although as a 2015 program I don't know how it will do with the very latest cameras.

Once you’ve imported the images (i.e. clicked on post-processing) it works in basically the same way as the other Franzis Projects software. Here’s what I wrote as a quick-start guide before and it’s generally applicable to the HDR software (which I’ve only just started playing with).

The thing to get your brain around with the Projects software is they are a huge pile of image processing tools, which are gathered together into presets in the left pane. All those options do is select a bunch of processing tools and choose options for them, so they are infinitely tweakable.

After you've loaded the image(s) you want to work with you can then play with the canned effects on the left side, play with assorted things on the right side panel (which should start on the “Finalise” tab). Changing to "Expert" in the right panel you can add filters from the list at the top, select them in the middle of the panel and tweak their effects at the bottom (may need scrolling down). The boxes at the top of the left panel filter the effects that are listed in the panel, so ignore them initially. On a faster computer you can use the Eye icon on the toolbar to disable the preview mode and show the final image in the main window, which IMHO is worth doing.

When saving the final image note that the first dialog, where it asks for the title, is going to write that over the image, it isn't the file name. The main disadvantage is the lack of Undo operations.

I literally spent 90 seconds working on an image and was really quite pleased with the result. If you don't mind the learning curve and fancy playing with HDR I'd recommend it.
    Last edited by DrJon; 23-05-2016, 09:32.

Re: Today only - free HDR software

interested to see the before and after image you worked on
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

You'll have to either wait until I do another one or be in the SDP Facebook group, as it wasn't my image I'm afraid. I'll ask the owner though.

I can confirm the Raw input doesn't support the 5Dsr.

Ah, update:

To add raw support for more recent cameras download this:

and replace C:\Program Files\Franzis\HDR projects 3\FreeImage.dll with it.
      If you’re on a Mac I don’t know the link I’m afraid, but I guess that (i) it uses the same library and (ii) an updated version is out there somewhere.
      Last edited by DrJon; 23-05-2016, 10:43.

Comment

Okay, not what you'd usually do with HDR software, but the "turn the image into the sea bottom" option is fun...
        Attached Files

Comment

thats an odd look not something I've seen on other HDR software

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

Way down below all the "more serious" looks they usually have a bunch of fun ones in their software...
            (I suspect I wanted a shot without any sky to make that look really good, but it amused me.)

Comment

some of the more extreme presets do make you wonder, but I suppose its about showing what the software will do

Comment

Sorry, should have said, if you're not running the 64-bit version, i.e. your computer doesn't have a directory "C:\Program Files (x86)" then the file you want for upgraded raw support is: http://transfer.franzis.de/projects/...ects_Win32.zip

Plus of course you extract the dll from the zip file, you don't use the zip as it is.
                Last edited by DrJon; 23-05-2016, 12:32.

Comment

BTW 80 second getting Started tutorial...

The optimal HDR software for top photographers and ambitious professionalsHDR projects 3 – 100 % made in Germany – offers photo enthusiasts the tools to crea...

Comment

Oh and when they say "today" they mean until 9am tomorrow U.K. time...

Update (1) It looks like I perhaps spread it around too successfully, as they have run out of serial numbers and there will be a delay before people receive them :-/

Update (2) There are some English tutorials here:

Plus German ones. Remember it's version 3.
                    Last edited by DrJon; 23-05-2016, 22:50.

Comment

The offer is over now, and it may be a while before it comes back judging from before, when they went through a bunch of Franzis software before returning to HDR Projects:

However the Nik bundle is now free from Google and includes "HDR Efex Pro 2" software:

It installs as a plugin to Photoshop and similar, but can be run stand-alone by just making a link on your desktop (or wherever) to:
                      C:\Program Files\Google\NIK Collection\HDR Efex Pro 2\HDR Efex Pro 2.exe
                      Of course the real star of the Franzis Projects software (IMHO) is their black and white conversion software, which hopefully will be along as a free download in a while, although I have purchased the latest version so am all set already.
                      Last edited by DrJon; 24-05-2016, 18:06.

Comment

Working...
                      X