• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Down in the daisies

Young Canada goose gosling enjoying the spring sunshine amongst the daisies
    3M7A2350 by steve dawes, on Flickr
    Steve ( LSINWP )
    1DX, and 7D2 ,500mmf4mkii, 300mmf2.8, 400mm f5.6 , 100mm - 400mmmk2 ,70-200mm f2.8 ,24-105mm f4, 100mm f2.8 macro , 1.4x converter, 2x converter and a big dose of luck !!

Re: Down in the daisies

The Gosling is at peace with the world. Nice relaxed mood shot.
    Last edited by Nathaniel; 25-05-2016, 22:57.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Thanks Nat , it just caught my imagination with the sun , daisies and gosling completely relaxed
      Steve ( LSINWP )
      1DX, and 7D2 ,500mmf4mkii, 300mmf2.8, 400mm f5.6 , 100mm - 400mmmk2 ,70-200mm f2.8 ,24-105mm f4, 100mm f2.8 macro , 1.4x converter, 2x converter and a big dose of luck !!

Comment

Shadows and highlights need sorting on this one - If you are using Adobe Camera Raw or Lightroom, make the highlights -100, whites -30 and shadows +100 and it will look much better

stan
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

Nice one Steve

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
            Shadows and highlights need sorting on this one - If you are using Adobe Camera Raw or Lightroom, make the highlights -100, whites -30 and shadows +100 and it will look much better

stan
            Thanks Stan but I dont agree, the gosling was resting under a tree hence the background is bright and the foreground / bird in dappled shade. I deliberately left it as shot to show this effect.
            Steve ( LSINWP )

Comment

Originally posted by Alan_H View Post
              Nice one Steve

Alan
              Thanks Alan
              Steve ( LSINWP )

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post

stan

I really don't understand this obsession with using post-processing to change every image. This is a lovely natural shot. Why turn it into something that it wasn't?
                Robert
                robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Scott View Post
                  I really don't understand this obsession with using post-processing the change every image. This is a lovely natural shot. Why turn it into something that it wasn't?
                  its called post-processing because if you don't you can post a RAW image - if we RAW shooters didn't process how could we show images - as for changing every image, the moment we open an image within a processor like LR something will get changed whether thats cropping or adjusting highlights... Not everyone uses Jpegs and Picture Styles
                  :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I really don't understand this obsession with using post-processing to change every image. This is a lovely natural shot. Why turn it into something that it wasn't?
                    Thanks Robert that is my point with this shot.
                    Steve ( LSINWP )

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
                      its called post-processing because if you don't you can post a RAW image - if we RAW shooters didn't process how could we show images - as for changing every image, the moment we open an image within a processor like LR something will get changed whether thats cropping or adjusting highlights... Not everyone uses Jpegs and Picture Styles
                      Yes, I understand how digital photography works.

I do not know whether this image was shot with RAW or JPEG, nor whether any post-processing was applied. Perhaps Steve can enlighten us.

What I do know is that I like this shot and so does everyone else who has commented - except Stan, who wants to turn it into something different.

Incidentally, in case less experienced members are confused, opening a RAW image in image-processing software does not mean that changes will be made at that stage. Any changes are at the discretion of the photographer. There are times when improvements will be made by additional processing. There are also times when it is best to leave well alone and convert the image to a JPEG for display or printing.
                      Robert
                      robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

What I do know is that I like this shot and so does everyone else who has commented - except Stan, who wants to turn it into something different.

didn't Stan just offer a way to improve it and something he would try, aren't people allowed to make comments on ways images could be improved, I know members often make suggestions on my images, some comments I agree with like a recent comment from Peter where he suggested a crop and it made a vast improvement

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

Ian whilst I agree with you re suggestions it does become a little tedious when virtually every image posted Stan wants to change, from pushing to use raw instead of jpeg to continually shouting out about Flikr

Theres different levels of skill and experience from members and not all are comfortable with post processing and this continual advice I know puts people off the site

Comment

Yes, I understand how digital photography works.

I do not know whether this image was shot with RAW or JPEG, nor whether any post-processing was applied. Perhaps Steve can enlighten us.

Incidentally, in case less experienced members are confused, opening a RAW image in image-processing software does not mean that changes will be made at that stage. Any changes are at the discretion of the photographer. There are times when improvements will be made by additional processing. There are also times when it is best to leave well alone and convert the image to a JPEG for display or printing.
                            Thanks Robert , I only shoot Raw images and the image is pretty much as shot , the shadows and highlights were tweaked very slightly and the looking at the histogram in camera raw both were within limit. The gosling was lying under a cherry tree with a few shafts of sunlight coming through. I understand the point Stan was trying to make but in my eyes the result would have been totally different to the picture I saw in my viewfinder and my photography philosophy is to try and portray wildlife images as close as possible to as shot apart from cropping and basic adjustments. However, we are all different and see and value photos for different reasons so no harm done.

Steve
                            Steve ( LSINWP )

Comment

Originally posted by GORDH View Post
                              Ian whilst I agree with you re suggestions it does become a little tedious when virtually every image posted Stan wants to change, from pushing to use raw instead of jpeg to continually shouting out about Flikr

Theres different levels of skill and experience from members and not all are comfortable with post processing and this continual advice I know puts people off the site
                              I know Stan is very keen on processing an image to try and get the best from it and so offers that as feedback, its very hard to look at an image thats within your niche and not offers ways to improve upon it and with Stans enjoyment of wildlife I suppose it can come across the way you describe

Comment

Working...
                              X