Any ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any ideas

i have been using a Sigma 17-70 lens for some time, first of all with a 350D and then more recently with My 60D. This lens has no IS and I have been happy with the results, vastly different to the kit lens.

month or so ago I had a slight stroke which has left my left arm slightly shaky. Any thought, would i find a lens with image stabalisation any better.
    have thought about Canon EF-S 17-55 2.8, or is there anything else out there.

Many thanks

Nigel

Re: Any ideas

First off Nigel sorry to here about your stroke ,there but for the grace of God go I etc .
    If your shooting above the rule of thumb 70mm x 1.6 crop so a minimum shutter speed of around 1/200th sec having a image stabiliser on a lens won't make that much if any difference
    A monopod would possibly be a cheaper way to go
    I.s is not the Magic exilir that some seem to think it is ,personally I have never understood why it's needed on short range wide angle lenses apart from making them more expensive .

Comment

First off I would like to reiterate Fox's comments re your stroke, I would also concur with Black Fox re the use of a monopod, the other lens I would consider which isn't as wide is the canon ef 24-105mm f/4l is usm lens and around the same price i think.

You could pop into a shop with your body and see if you could try the lenses on your Camera if you go down that route, the other thing is I will be visiting a friend in Hospital in Boston from Derby in a couple of weeks on a weekend, if you are near on en-route ( I see your name is Lincs) I could pop round with my 24-105 and you could try it.
      Last edited by TonyT; 27-05-2016, 10:04.
      Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Sorry to hear about the stroke. Are you having physio yet as that may help with the shake in the longer term.

Without knowing how shaky you are it's difficult to say whether IS would help. IS is effective against small vibrations and to some extent against slow but regular large ones. If your shakiness is minor and fairly regular it may help but if your arm is prone to erratic and/or large movements it may well be ineffective and a monopod could be a better portable solution - of course a tripod is best but they can be a pain to carry...

Could be worth a chatting about with your treatment team, they must see a lot of people with similar issues and may have some helpful tips or advice.

Anyway here's hoping things do get better either way...
        Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Working...
        X