EOS 5DS R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EOS 5DS R

I'm seriously considering purchasing this camera. Having checked the lens compatibility chart from Canon I'm pleased to see that all of mine are included. My question is, does anybody have experience using this camera hand held and what the results are like? I've also read various comments about maximum useable ISO, any thoughts..
    EOS 1DX, EOS 5D mkiii, EOS 7D, EF 17-40mm f4 L USM, EF 24-70mm f2.8 L II USM, EF 70-200mm f2.8 L II IS USM, EF 50mm f1.2 L, EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro USM, Speedlite 580EX

Re: EOS 5DS R

why don't you wait till the 5DMkIIII comes out, thats supposed to be Aug
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

The 5Dsr was aimed at more specialized photographers - i.e. Studio/Landscape/Architectural, rather than "general" photography. Most people would utilise the use of a tripod for their work, so iso would not a limiting factor to them. If you "need" to push the iso on the camera up high on a regular basis, I doubt the 5Dsr would be the best choice.
      Regards
      Lez

5Ds // 5D Mark III //
      7D Mark II // 16-35 f4L // 24-70 f2.8L II //
      24-105 f4L II // 70-200 f4 L // 70-200 f2.8 Lis II // 50 f1.2L // 85 f1.8 //100 f2.8Lis // 200 f2.8L // 300 f4Lis // 1.4ex // .......... and a longer wish list

Comment

Basically, it's the 50.6 mp I#m interested in. I've not seen any rumours that 5d Mk IV will come with that sensor. I like to crop in close and feel that the 5DS R would be good for this.
        EOS 1DX, EOS 5D mkiii, EOS 7D, EF 17-40mm f4 L USM, EF 24-70mm f2.8 L II USM, EF 70-200mm f2.8 L II IS USM, EF 50mm f1.2 L, EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro USM, Speedlite 580EX

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Man View Post
          The 5Dsr was aimed at more specialized photographers - i.e. Studio/Landscape/Architectural, rather than "general" photography. Most people would utilise the use of a tripod for their work, so iso would not a limiting factor to them. If you "need" to push the iso on the camera up high on a regular basis, I doubt the 5Dsr would be the best choice.
          My Interests are Urban Architecture, Landscapes and street photography. I currently use my 1DX which is great but I feel that 50.6mp will let me crop much tighter. I hardly ever use a tripod and I try to keep the shutter speed high enough to mitigate camera shake.. Also the 1DX one heavy beast to hump around all day with lenses..

Comment

Originally posted by Ian_rw View Post
            Basically, it's the 50.6 mp I#m interested in. I've not seen any rumours that 5d Mk IV will come with that sensor. I like to crop in close and feel that the 5DS R would be good for this.
            agree the new rumours seem to be 36mp - if so with better ISO handling I know where I would be investing my cash

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
              agree the new rumours seem to be 36mp - if so with better ISO handling I know where I would be investing my cash
              I guess there is no real rush, I have a 5DIII along with my 1DX.. I suffer from GAS so I tend to buy in haste and then feel sorry later.. I'll try and hold out to AUG. 36mp would probably work.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian_rw View Post
                I guess there is no real rush, I have a 5DIII along with my 1DX.. I suffer from GAS so I tend to buy in haste and then feel sorry later.. I'll try and hold out to AUG. 36mp would probably work.
                will "apparently" 36mp but we'll see

Comment

A few months ago there were several articles inEOS magazine re: 5D mkIII & 5D S and SR. The findings were that there were hardly any differences up to about 800-1600 ISO but the 5D mk III was better at higher ISOs.
                  So if you never go above (say) 800 ISO then the 5D S/SR produce a little more detail and indeed as you say would help with heavy cropping.
                  Last edited by collywobbles; 03-06-2016, 20:18.

Comment

I have no issues using it hand-held, I get a very high hit-rate of sharp images, at least as good as any other camera I have.

Some comments on other areas - it's better than the 5DmkII for DR at all ISOs although at higher ISOs the difference is small, however it doesn't have the shadow banding you get with the 5DmkIII so in reality is more usable.

You of course get a "free" APS sensor camera thrown in, as the 1.6x crop area is basically a 7DmkII resolution-wise. This makes lenses more flexible, as they can serve as longer focal lengths since there are so many MP to crop into.

For the level of detail have a look here (click "Original Size"):
                    Expert news, reviews and videos of the latest digital cameras, lenses, accessories, and phones. Get answers to your questions in our photography forums.

Or look at the 1:1 crops here (again click on original size, just for the crops):
                    Expert news, reviews and videos of the latest digital cameras, lenses, accessories, and phones. Get answers to your questions in our photography forums.

BW note you sometimes will get moire (I find it isn't that much of an issue) but the 5Ds has a fairly weak AA filter so suffers too:

It also improves the resolution of all lenses, take the worst-case 24-105mm image here (f4 and 105mm) and scale it down to 5DmkIII resolution. I really wouldn't worry about the compatibility chart for lenses you already own.

It has a better AF system than the 5DmkIII (you get the tracking sensor), but shoots a little slower.

Here's a long post I wrote about mine:

Sorry for all the links, but I can put full-res 50MP images on dpreview plus it saves me writing all the same stuff over again.

As a summary I will say I find it an excellent photographic tool and would recommend it whole-heartedly to anyone not requiring a 1-series body or the shooting speed of the 7DmkII. It's easily the best camera I've ever bought (although the Panasonic GH4 somewhat out-performs it for video shooting).

Comment

The above account is excellent

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
                      James Boardman Woodend
                      www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

I have a 5Ds and I agree with all of Dr Jon's comments.
                        I think I posted these images previously? anyway, a 100% crop from part of an image showing the fine detail possible with a 50mp sensor (135mm f2 lens)

Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
                        Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Working...
                        X