Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC

As I mentioned in a previous post, I went to our local Camera Store to see if I could rent the Sigma 150-600C that seems to be the Lens of Choice for Bird Photography. And seeing the results by some of our members seems to be an outstanding lens. So I thought that if I could rent one for the weekend and try it out to see if I like it. However our Camera Shop s not carry the Sigma, nor do they offer it for rent, however they did have the Tamron SP 150-600 for rent. At 1st I walked away a bit disappointed and went home to do some research on the Tamron model. Although every comparison (the Tamron w/the Sigma Sports model) the Sigma took the slight edge of Image sharpness over the Tamron. However all stated the the differences was minimal and most gave good marks to the Tamron. So I went back to the store and rented that one.

After getting the Lens, we headed down to the local creek to to some initial testing of the Lens. I placed the Lens onto the Canon 7DMKII and found that there was not much weight difference between the Tamron and the Canon 100-400 MK I L. Although the Lens is plastic, the build quality seemed very solid. So far all focus points are available using the Tamron on the 7D, however going from min to max on focusing the lens is slower than the 100-400.

For the quick test, I set the camera for 1/2000 @ f/8 with an auto ISO and put the Lens at 600mm. Here are 4 images all hand held:

When we 1st entered into the park, there was this lovely Great Blue Heron standing in the Creek.
    ISO 4000

No Cropping done.

ISO 6000, Cropped Version.

This next image was a very small Barn Swallow that landed on a wire over head to clean itself. So I was near maximum focus when I pointed the lens to the Sparrow. It took 3 tries for the Lens to find the sparrow on the wire, but when it found it, it locked on it.

ISO 3200 - Squared Cropped.

This last image as we were taking the kids out to dinner, I noticed this Red-Tailed Hawk in the trees as the Crows where trying to get it to move along. So I pulled over and took this image:

ISO 1250 @ f/6.3 - Not Cropped

Plan on getting out more this weekend to use it.

Comments Welcomed
    Tom

Re: Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC

super set ,as i said previously the sigma lenses either C or S versions excel over the tamron for the simple fact that can be updated from sigmas website and also fine tuned to your own needs (i.e focusing speed )

Comment

That's photography!
      Regards Dave

Canon 70D : Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM : Canon EF-S 55-250mm 1:4-5.6 IS ii MACRO : Canon EF-S 10- 22 mm f/3.5-4.5 USM : Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM : Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L IS ll USM : Canon 600-EX-RT Speedlite FLASH GUN : Canon GPS RECEIVER GP-E2, PhotR 3-Section tripod. More to come.

You are welcome to view my flicker pages .... https://www.flickr.com/photos/davejowett/

Comment

Excellent shots Tom. Nice and sharp.
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Good set Tom dont think threres a lot in it as regards the Tamron v Sigma C offering but as Jeff says the dock adds a new dimension which allows more choices re focusing, speed of iso micro adjustment etc etc, plus updates, however I thought Tamron recently released a dock but not sure if it works on the 150-600mm ..yet

Comment

IIRC, not too much in IQ but the Sigma AF was suppose to be more responsive, presumably this is even more since last update.
            Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Thanks all for the comments. I completed the test in bright light as in low light. The lens does seem to hunt and has some trouble locking on in low light, but in bright light it is as fast if not faster as my 100-400 MKI L in medium to bright lighting. Over all the weight, including the Tri-pod mount was not much of an issue and to me seemed lighter than the 100-400 MKI L. So Over all I found that the Lens to be very good. Here are some of the images from over the weekend, all as 600mm

Cropped

Not Cropped

Not Cropped

Cropped

Not Cropped

Not Cropped

Not Cropped

Comments Welcomed
              Tom

Comment

An impressive set Tom. So, will you take the rented one back and swap it for a new one?
                Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

After listening to the advice of the people on this forum, talking in length with the sales person in the local camera shop about the pros and cons between the sigma and the Tamron, reading multiple reviews, and using the Tamron for the weekend, the decision was based on warranty and service. So I got the Tamron.

Comment

Well done Tom

Raj
                    Raj
                    Flickr

Comment

Thanks Raj

Comment

Working...
                      X