Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proposition for a 'Mirrorless Digital Cameras' section ............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Proposition for a 'Mirrorless Digital Cameras' section ............

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
    Can Powershot users also post into the appropriate section too to avoid their posts being lost in the general 'Compact' section?
    Only if you have an EOS PowerShot.
    Robert
    robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

If you want to post landscape images taken with an EOS M3, you can place them in the landscape photography section.
      just what members such as Tom do anyway

there was one before that which disappeared overnight, something to do with changing host if I remember rightly and I think the likes of Tom and myself are about the only members who were on the original forum and continue to post regularly here

Stan
      Last edited by Stan; 24-06-2016, 17:54.
      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
      flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
        there was one before that which disappeared overnight, something to do with changing host if I remember rightly and I think the likes of Tom and myself are about the only members who were on the original forum and continue to post regularly here. Stan
        Yes, that dated back to around 2005 (possibly a little earlier). At the end of February 2009, Lycos decided to cease its web hosting activities and we were unable to transfer the database to another host. We started the current forum in, I think, August 2009.

We are able to transfer this forum and moved it to a new host a few months ago to get rid of the 503 error which was causing problems for many members.
        Robert
        robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

I can't remember, as my join date here was Aug 2009 I think I was also on the old forum too.
          Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyT View Post

I personally think it is an excellent idea that he has proposed and if you are a mirrorless user you may be put off with the lack of a dedicated section, and if you are a future purchaser, a dedicated section where you could learn with your piers would be an excellent thing, it would also draw them to the site and the benefits they would gain from knowledge of the extras they could add to their system from their contemporary SLR users. A sort of photographic cross pollination.

After all, as someone rightly points out the Forum originally opened to wet film users and has progressed to Digital SLR whilst retaining a small section dedicated to wet film users, who is to say down the line that mirrorless is not the way the hobby will progress, after all with faster and faster systems, the mirror is rapidly becoming a dinosaur and a potential stumbling block to the camera design progress.

I think Tony puts it quite eloquently .......... and that's the point I'm trying to make.

Photography as a Hobby is growing, as digital cameras are becoming available to all, not all of us can afford an OES costing 2 to 3 grand. One of the first things I did when I purchased my M3 was to seek out a 'help' forum, people who used that particular type of camera. Surprisingly, there isn't one !
            Time for EOS Magazine to jump onto the band wagon !?

Or should we just bung it in with the EOS 5D III, where comparisons will undoubtedly be made.

TURK

Comment

Or should we just bung it in with the EOS 5D III, where comparisons will undoubtedly be made.
              why will comparisons be made, if the photo is good then the camera used isn't an issue
              :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

not all of us can afford an OES costing 2 to 3 grand.
                there are plenty of models costing well under a grand and you can pick up something like a used 7D I for around £500

Stan
                Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                flickr

Comment

That's not the point Stan.

I'm talking about new comers to photography, people who want to buy into a system. Those sorts of people don't peruse ebay for the latest bargains on DSLR's. Nor are they the sort of people willing to lug around 20 kilos of kit.

I can see that we're getting nowhere with this, the forum is obviously too well established with it's long term members who are very familiar with their systems. There's very little if no content at all for the novice seeking guidance.

Maybe the information is there somewhere, and I'm just not looking hard enough. A typical question that a new owner of an EOS M3 would be asking himself is, now that I have the M3 with the kit lense 18-55 and my next purchase would undoubtedly be the 22mm f/2 prime lens, do I buy the EF-M 55-200mm IS STM lens or buy the EF or even the EF-s lens equivalent ........ how do they compare ? that's the sort of information I was looking for. But it seems I'd have to read the online reviews for that.

The problem with the online reviews is, most of the time the 'reviewer' spends only a few hours with the product before writing his conclusion, I really wanted it from somebody who has bought one, and lives with one everyday.

Guess I'll have to start a thread on 'Getting to Know your M3', how to navigate the menu system and how to use the supplied software, could be helpful to newbies that are in the same position as myself.

TURK

Comment

I can see that we're getting nowhere with this, the forum is obviously too well established with it's long term members who are very familiar with their systems. There's very little if no content at all for the novice seeking guidance.
                    you are so wrong, but TBH I really think it pointless trying to dicuss anything - good luck
                    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by M-3 Photography View Post
                      Guess I'll have to start a thread on 'Getting to Know your M3', how to navigate the menu system and how to use the supplied software, could be helpful to newbies that are in the same position as myself.TURK
                      You imply that the EOS M series is very different to EOS DSLRs. It is not.

I have an EOS M in front of me.I have switched it on and pressed the INFO button. The screen which has appeared is almost identical to the of the EOS 70D, which I also have in front of me. It has the same shooting modes, white balance, picture styles, image resolutions (RAW/JPEG) and other features. Even the touch screen navigation is the same.

Most of the information in EOS magazine applies equally to the EOS M series as to the EOS DSLR cameras.

Essentially, the EOS M series is the same as the EOS DSLR series, but without the reflex mirror. When you use Live View on an EOS DSLR camera you have the same set-up as an EOS M camera.

The software is the same, too.

So please tell me why the EOS M series needs its own category.
                      Robert
                      robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

I posted these images yesterday with my EOS M3, The Wall I used the EF-M 70-200 and the Korean Memorial I used the EF-M 18-55mm.

The EXIF data that is on Flicker indicate what I had the camera set to. What is interesting is that even though in the post I indicated that I used the EOS M#, not one question was asked about the image or even if I liked the lenses that I used. Now I've been using the M series since Canon released the the 1st M1 and I did do an extensive write up on that camera.

So if you have any questions about your M3, all you need to do is ask and either I or anyone on this forum will be happy to answer or asset you in using such a remarkable camera. As for dedicating a special section for the M series, I feel there is no need to as it performs as well as any EOS camera and the software that I use to process the images is LR. I do not use Canon's software to process any of my images form any of my Canon EOS cameras. As Robert said, the M is a DSLR w/o SLR.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by M-3 Photography View Post
                          A typical question that a new owner of an EOS M3 would be asking himself is, now that I have the M3 with the kit lense 18-55 and my next purchase would undoubtedly be the 22mm f/2 prime lens, do I buy the EF-M 55-200mm IS STM lens or buy the EF or even the EF-s lens equivalent ........ how do they compare ? that's the sort of information I was looking for. But it seems I'd have to read the online reviews for that.
                          We have established that the M3 is an EOS camera, so if this is what you want to know, I'm scratching my head over why you don't just ask this question in the relevant part of the forum.
                          And then you can start sharing your images in the relevant category and hopefully you too will become a long term forum member.
                          Canon EOS 7D
                          EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                          Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                          flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Scott View Post
                            You imply that the EOS M series is very different to EOS DSLRs. It is not.

I have an EOS M in front of me.I have switched it on and pressed the INFO button. The screen which has appeared is almost identical to the of the EOS 70D, which I also have in front of me. It has the same shooting modes, white balance, picture styles, image resolutions (RAW/JPEG) and other features. Even the touch screen navigation is the same.

Most of the information in EOS magazine applies equally to the EOS M series as to the EOS DSLR cameras.

Essentially, the EOS M series is the same as the EOS DSLR series, but without the reflex mirror. When you use Live View on an EOS DSLR camera you have the same set-up as an EOS M camera.

The software is the same, too.

So please tell me why the EOS M series needs its own category.

I think Robert has summed it up well.
                            The EOS M series of cameras are great, and indeed I have one I use as well as my 5DIII, but ultimately the menu and functions are similar enough to allow ease of switching. They are EOS after all and share a lot of the features/functions.

Also, if we separate out mirrorless then why not also divide crop and full frame sensors?
                            Here on the forum I think an image is judged on its own merits, the type of camera used is secondary. And I know very well that any EOS camera can be used to produce a stunning image, and indeed often see superb images that are fare better than stuff I've taken.

If someone has a specific query on the use of particular EOS camera or accessory it generally gets answered.

Yes, I think mirrorless will grow and maybe we will even see an EOS full frame mirrorless in future years.
                            But it won't need its own section to enable images and experiences to be shared.
                            Andy
                            Canon EOS 5D MarkIV, 11-24mm f4, 24-70mm f2.8 II, 24-105mm f4, 70-200mm f2.8 IS II USM, 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 IS II USM, 100mm Macro, 50mm f1.4, Speedlite 600EX-RT, Manfrotto tripod
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyberdavis/

Comment

Many thanks gentlemen for your guidance, and patience.

You'll have to forgive some of my questions, I'm still trying to find my way around the forum. With so much to read, it should take me a few months to catch up. And find my way around.

I wasn't trying to rustle any feathers, it was a mere proposal, to see how forum members felt about a dedicated section for mirrorless cameras. Strictly speaking I'm hardly the person to comment on the differences between the models as only just got my EOS M3, and all my previous cameras were Nikon .......... going right back to the Nikon FM2 and my trusty Nikon F3.

Thanks for those wonderful shots Tesarver, I particularly liked the Korean Memorial shots. Clever use of monochrome, really helps to convey the emotion and gives the images a kind of haunting feel to them. And the definition is superb.

I got myself a Flickr account just the other day, so when I'm confident enough that I have something worth while to share, I'll post some images up.

Thanks all.

TURK

Comment

Wow, serious discussion with much underlying resent, sarcasm and a twist of irony.

The best way to start a section on anything is not to discuss it to death but to just start it, 'market forces' will tell if it has any legs or not, and it would be a brave (or stupid) forum mod to delete a section in a camera forum that discusses cameras and is popular with it's members.

Just saying.

Comment

Working...
                                X