Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Totally confused by LR, PS, CC and all other options !?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Totally confused by LR, PS, CC and all other options !?

Hi all,

Bit new to all this, particularly image processing software .........

My first question would be, does anyone here use Open Source software like 'Darktable' and 'GIMP' for image processing ?

I like the look of Lightroom and the ease of using it, and obviously the results that can be achieved. But then you would also need Photoshop, to finalise the image. The biggest drawback I'm seeing right now is the cost of these programs

As I'm in France, the cost for Lightroom is €155 ........ Photoshop 6 I just can't seem to find the price for ! but I did find Photoshop Pro that was €650 ! and then there's this thing called Photoshop CC, where it seems you buy into something then have to pay about €10 every month to use it !

Can anybody enlighten me ?

Personally I would prefer to use Open Source software, as the money saved from having to buy the software would be best spent on hardware ......... like a new lens !

TURK

Re: Totally confused by LR, PS, CC and all other options !?

I used to use LR alone so yes you can use it without PS - I then moved over to CC photography package as I wanted PS for more advance processing

I would suggest you consider the CC route over buying as its clear all the new upgrades are going straight onto the CC package and the only way you will access these new features is buy upgrading to LR7 when it comes along, which does mean in the long run it will cost the same - something I'm sure Adobe had in mind LOL...

Sorry never used Open Source software
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Thanks for that Tigger.

Going the CC route is one of my concerns, having to pay for a monthly service when you ( and I'm generalising with that statement ), may go a couple of months without using it. If you're a paid professional, fair enough ....... but like me, it may be a month, two months or even more before I'm out and about shooting again and having to use the software. Makes perfect sense having the latest updates upon release, and the new plugins but as a novice user / beginner, I doubt I'd even notice the difference.

So what would people recommend for a beginner ? would the Canon DPP 4 be capable of basic RAW image editing ?

I downloaded and installed it yesterday, but haven't had the chance to use yet as I haven't taken any pictures on my EOS M3 yet ......... as it happens, my memory card from amazon just arrive !

TURK

Comment

Originally posted by M-3 Photography View Post

So what would people recommend for a beginner ? would the Canon DPP 4 be capable of basic RAW image editing ?

I downloaded and installed it yesterday, but haven't had the chance to use yet as I haven't taken any pictures on my EOS M3 yet ......... as it happens, my memory card from amazon just arrive !

TURK
        Yes it is - and there are plenty of tutorials available through youtube
        Regards
        Lez

5Ds // 5D Mark III //
        7D Mark II // 16-35 f4L // 24-70 f2.8L II //
        24-105 f4L II // 70-200 f4 L // 70-200 f2.8 Lis II // 50 f1.2L // 85 f1.8 //100 f2.8Lis // 200 f2.8L // 300 f4Lis // 1.4ex // .......... and a longer wish list

Comment

Originally posted by M-3 Photography View Post
          Thanks for that Tigger.

Going the CC route is one of my concerns, having to pay for a monthly service when you ( and I'm generalising with that statement ), may go a couple of months without using it. If you're a paid professional, fair enough ....... but like me, it may be a month, two months or even more before I'm out and about shooting again and having to use the software. Makes perfect sense having the latest updates upon release, and the new plugins but as a novice user / beginner, I doubt I'd even notice the difference.

TURK
          I can see your point about not using it, but long term even if its not used for a few months I think the CC route is cheaper

LR is very user friendly and theres loads of videos online to get you started - although I would probably not touch PS until your up to speed with editing as its a very involved bit of kit - but its part of the bundle
          :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Darktable is a new one on me but I have used GiMP and RawTherapee in the past. GiMP is powerful and very similar to PS in use but is less well integrated and can be a bit glitch in use. RawTherapee is generally well regarded as a raw converter but TBH I haven't used either for some time.
            Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

I tried DarkTable once. Hideous learning curve. Capture One express came with a Sony Compact I bought recently. I installed it and removed it five minutes later. None of them are a patch on LR IMHO, though there are alternatives I've not tried...
              EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

The cc monthly path is probably the best way to go long term ,I process on a I.mac and for many years photo storing in aperture was my main system for downloading and storage ,but Apple no longer support this ,I also used ps6 for processing ,which was all fine until a couple of months ago when due to a unexpected camera failure I was forced into buying a new 80D ,all fine till you find out that the old software doesn't support it ,the only work round was to get Lightroom and photoshop cc .or I couldn't even see my photos taken in raw .
                So while a monthly payment system may seem like a pita now if at some time in the future you have to upgrade cameras at all it will become a godsend as you already have a up to date workflow .

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                  the only work round was to get Lightroom and photoshop cc .or I couldn't even see my photos taken in raw.
                  Not the only workaround. Canon's Digital Photo Professional version 4 will open RAW files from an EOS 80D. If you need greater post-processing than DPP allows, you can save the image as a TIFF file and open it in whichever version of Lightroom or Photoshop you have.
                  Robert
                  robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

I did actually try that Robert ,but it was to different from my previous workflow ,plus with four family members all wildlife photographers in house it was far easier to keep all our systems the same ,I.e macs,L.R ,and P.S .. At my tender 70 + years it's far easier to subscribe to the easy way out

Comment

Working...
                    X