Sunset over the oat field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunset over the oat field

We had a nice sunset a day or two ago and so I wandered down the road and into the field. All very peaceful and reminiscent of "Curfew tolls the knell of parting day", apart from getting bitten by a blasted horse fly!

Sunset over the oats by John Liddle, on Flickr
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Re: Sunset over the oat field

nice john, but can you lift the shadows - or maybe use a grad on the bottom to pull it up
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Thanks Ian - I had already lifted the shadows to bring the crop up, but did not want to take it too far - below I have lifted further - is this better?

Sunset over the oats (lifted shadows) by John Liddle, on Flickr
      John Liddle

Comment

much better

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

Nice John, but a vote for the 1st image for me.

Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom - I must confess to being conflicted over this one - I can see the argument for lifting the shadows to allow the green of the field to be more prominent and make it clearer what it is, but the darker first image has a better contrast between the sky and the ground and that is what caught my eye at the time. The original image has the foreground even darker and I almost went with that.

This is why I like this forum - there are always plenty of differing points of view and it can be very educational to follow them, even if you revert to your original decision at the end.
            John Liddle

Comment

I agree with you John.... the last version looks a lot better to me
              Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

The sky in the first image is magnificent so doesn't need changing and, in lightening for the second image, I fear the sky has suffered. Rather than lightening the entire shot, or even just the foreground, I'd be looking to reduce the foreground - perhaps mid-way between your logo and the house - to concentrate the emphasis on the sky.

Cheers,
                John

Comment

I fear the sky has suffered. Rather than lightening the entire shot, or even just the foreground, I'd be looking to reduce the foreground - perhaps mid-way between your logo and the house - to concentrate the emphasis on the sky.
                  I had to double check the image here as I didn't see any change in the sky flipping between both on flickr - you sure about that John

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
                    I had to double check the image here as I didn't see any change in the sky flipping between both on flickr - you sure about that John
                    Yes but the difference on Flickr is miniscule while the images on the forum show a distinct deeper blue and orange for the original. Unless it's the angle of my monitor - hang on, I'll check... now that is bizarre! I had been comparing both images on the same screen with the original at the top and the edit at the bottom and the difference I mentioned is abundantly clear. To check this I opened a new window and displayed both side-by-side and the difference is considerably less. Scrolled one image down my screen and... it got darker!

So this is either down to the viewing angle we talked about recently or my screen is duff. Either way it's hardly conducive to me making good edits myself

More tests and it is viewing angle.

Cheers,
                    John

Comment

good luck with finding your problem, it must be very annoying for you

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
                        good luck with finding your problem, it must be very annoying for you
                        It hadn't been because I was unaware but now it really is. It really, really is

Cheers,
                        John

Comment

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
                          The sky in the first image is magnificent so doesn't need changing and, in lightening for the second image, I fear the sky has suffered. Rather than lightening the entire shot, or even just the foreground, I'd be looking to reduce the foreground - perhaps mid-way between your logo and the house - to concentrate the emphasis on the sky.

Cheers,
                          John
                          Thank you for looking John - despite your later postings about viewing angle, I concur with your observation about the sky colour - this was why I held back on lifting the shadows too much on the first version - I shall have to look into a more targeted method of lifting the foreground without affecting the sky - any suggestions?
                          John Liddle

Comment

try a grad filter John

Comment

Originally posted by John Liddle View Post
                              ... - I shall have to look into a more targeted method of lifting the foreground without affecting the sky - any suggestions?
                              If you have LR either the adjustment brush or graduated filter would do it. If no LR then something similar in DPP. But I'd keep it dark and look at the crop

Cheers,
                              John

Comment

Working...
                              X