Experimenting with flash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experimenting with flash

After having seen the technique of getting a black background and illuminating a model by flash. I wondered whether the same technique could be applied to cars. So whilst doing some requested pictures of my car I thought I would give this a try.

It took several attempts to get the flash in the right position. But ended up with a shot that I was pleased with. However, I think it could have done with another gun illuminating the rear.

1S7A1171-PSedit-3 by Robert Clayson, on Flickr

Taken with 5D3, 24-70 and 600EXS-RT

Comments welcome

Robert
    Last edited by RobertC; 28-06-2016, 15:57.
    flickr - website - twitter -
    instagram

Re: Experimenting with flash

Very nice indeed and I have a soft spot for classic Minis too

It's a technique I discovered by accident with my G10 and use it often. I'd have thought for this subject a centrally situated flash would have been all you'd have needed to illuminate both front and side.

Cheers,
    John

PS My wife often thinks a gun in my rear would be good

Comment

Could you not walk round the back and manual fire it again or use a torch?

see

I teach a night photography class and I find that many people who’ve never tried it imagine it to be a lot harder than it really is to get spectacular results. In this two part series I’m going to take you through step by step how I created the image above using light painting techniques […]

Google Painting with Light. I have got to try this

Ohh nearly forgot, I love the picture of the Mini.
      Last edited by TonyT; 28-06-2016, 12:02.
      Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Nicely done

Tom

Comment

Great car and well lit but as you say, a bit more light towards the rear would balance it up
          Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

Though I didn't make it clear in the introduction, this was taken in the late afternoon. I took several pictures with out the flash to ensure i just got a nice black picture. Then turned the flash on to illuminate the car. Set the camera to manual, 1/160th, f11, iso 100.

I posted this picture on the Facebook page of the Mini magazines - currently it sits at 2000 likes!

Robert
            flickr - website - twitter -
            instagram

Comment

Working...
            X