EOS 5D IV spec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EOS 5D IV spec

I don't mind DPP but having switched completely to LR I wouldn't be keen on adding another stage to my workflow.

I'm purely interested in IQ and dynamic range so am much more interested in what people actually think of it in use. Hence I think I'm still more interested in a 6D2. Otherwise it'll probably be a 5DSR or Sony for me next.
    TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Els View Post
      I don't mind DPP but having switched completely to LR I wouldn't be keen on adding another stage to my workflow.

I'm purely interested in IQ and dynamic range so am much more interested in what people actually think of it in use. Hence I think I'm still more interested in a 6D2. Otherwise it'll probably be a 5DSR or Sony for me next.
      until we see the test images right now the Sony is looking on paper much better. which considering this is Canon's new baby is pretty shocking - lets hope the "older" sensor Canon is using will kick Sony A7R's into touch
      :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Yes - it would be nice to read some 'real world' reviews as they roll in. I suppose we all have different needs, some more esoteric than others. I find that all the hype associated with increased maximum ISO is next to useless if the noise levels are to poor. Personal, a 5Dmk4 with very much reduced noise levels at 1600 ISO would be perfect for aurora photography and general dark sky work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
        James Boardman Woodend
        www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

well this was pretty quick ....sorry Robert looks like poor old DPP will have to stay in its box Adobe to support advanced photo format debuting in Canon's hot new SLR

Don't panic, Lightroom fans, Adobe Systems will support the new photo format Canon tucked into its hot new SLR, the EOS 5D Mark IV.
          Adobe's Lightroom, for editing and cataloging photos, has a particular emphasis on "raw" photo formats that offer more editing flexibility and image quality than ordinary JPEG but that are more of a hassle to handle. Canon's new $3,500 5D Mark IV, introduced Thursday, adds a new variety called dual-pixel raw that lets photographers fine-tune focus after a shot was taken. To take advantage of dual-pixel raw, though, photographers will have to use Canon's own raw-processing software, Digital Photo Professional.

The dual-pixel raw format lets photographers fine-tune focus and clear up distracting flare. Those advantages won't be restricted to Canon's own software forever, though.

Originally posted by jimsphotography View Post
          Yes - it would be nice to read some 'real world' reviews as they roll in. I suppose we all have different needs, some more esoteric than others. I find that all the hype associated with increased maximum ISO is next to useless if the noise levels are to poor. Personal, a 5Dmk4 with very much reduced noise levels at 1600 ISO would be perfect for aurora photography and general dark sky work.

agree Jim - its whats stopping me buying - but with Adobe already looking into dual-pixel raw thats a massive move in the right direction

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
            agree Jim - its whats stopping me buying - but with Adobe already looking into dual-pixel raw thats a massive move in the right direction
            The dual pixel thingy sounds very interesting - would love to see some actual images of it working.

James Boardman Woodend
            www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Originally posted by jimsphotography View Post
              The dual pixel thingy sounds very interesting - would love to see some actual images of it working.

now that we have Adobe onto it, I'd agree - think we are all waiting to see what this camera will do - you never know Jim it maybe enough to pull you away from Sony :)

Comment

The A7R2 has issues of its own, it's as expensive -when you add a Metabones, ergonomically imho it's not that good, is still pretty big and the files are bloody massive same is true of the 5DSR though.
                TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Els View Post
                  The A7R2 has issues of its own, it's as expensive -when you add a Metabones, ergonomically imho it's not that good, is still pretty big and the files are bloody massive same is true of the 5DSR though.
                  I've not done the maths but I bet theres not much in it - but also how old is the A7R2 ? this is a brand new camera so I would expect it to show it up, least I hope it will - but I'll put money on it when it comes to testing side by side its the 810 & A7R that will be the benchmarks ....and in theory Canon should walk over them

Comment

i think that says you will still have to use DPP though ian bottom two lines ???

o( take advantage of dual-pixel raw, though, photographers will have to use Canon's own raw-processing software, Digital Photo Professional.)

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                      i think that says you will still have to use DPP though ian bottom two lines ???

o( take advantage of dual-pixel raw, though, photographers will have to use Canon's own raw-processing software, Digital Photo Professional.)
                      all I need to read "But not forever."...it wont be long before Adobe have something in place

Comment

On the face of it the spec might be a bit disappointing but there is more to it than specifications...as above we will have to see real world images and compare directly.
                        I'd be very cautious about looking to mirrorless as the leading light, they have had advanced features (touch screen, wifi etc) as part of their proposition for some time...but they've had to because as image producers they have lagged in quality output ..i.e. in terms of noise, focussing etc etc.
                        I adopted too early in 2011 with mirrorless and came back to EOS in 2013....it will be a while before I swap again.
                        Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

If you don't mind Robert I would much sooner discuss the new camera rather than turning this thread into another DPP v LR discussion

I am discussing the new camera. DPP is very relevant to the Dual Pixel RAW feature of EOS 5D Mark IV. You have dismissed the camera as a failure because it does not fit into your personal workflow. I am providing a check and balance to your comments, letting other photographers know that it is possible to use the EOS 5D Mark IV with a workflow which includes DPP and Lightroom.
                          Robert
                          robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
                            On the face of it the spec might be a bit disappointing but there is more to it than specifications...as above we will have to see real world images and compare directly.
                            I'd be very cautious about looking to mirrorless as the leading light, they have had advanced features (touch screen, wifi etc) as part of their proposition for some time...but they've had to because as image producers they have lagged in quality output ..i.e. in terms of noise, focussing etc etc.
                            I adopted too early in 2011 with mirrorless and came back to EOS in 2013....it will be a while before I swap again.
                            agree Brian - I'm surprised no test images have come out yet, hopefully we won't have to wait long

Originally posted by Robert Scott View Post
                            I am discussing the new camera. DPP is very relevant to the Dual Pixel RAW feature of EOS 5D Mark IV. You have dismissed the camera as a failure because it does not fit into your personal workflow. I am providing a check and balance to your comments, letting other photographers know that it is possible to use the EOS 5D Mark IV with a workflow which includes DPP and Lightroom.
                            PLEASE tell me where "dismissed the camera as a failure" ?
                            Last edited by Tigger; 27-08-2016, 06:25.

Comment

but with Adobe already looking into dual-pixel raw thats a massive move in the right direction
                              I'm pretty much in agreement with Ian. I like a simple workflow, and Lightroom offers a good one-stop-shop.
                              In the short term I'm happy to try it out in DPP but ultimately if the functionality is useful I'd like (expect?) to see it in Lightroom. I won't use a combined DPP and Lightroom workflow as I feel it's too cumbersome and increases file management.

But, that aside I'd still consider the 5D Mark IV for its other specifications.
                              Andy
                              Canon EOS 5D MarkIV, 11-24mm f4, 24-70mm f2.8 II, 24-105mm f4, 70-200mm f2.8 IS II USM, 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 IS II USM, 100mm Macro, 50mm f1.4, Speedlite 600EX-RT, Manfrotto tripod
                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyberdavis/

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post

But, that aside I'd still consider the 5D Mark IV for its other specifications.
                                agree the increased mp will help out with cropping and hopefully give me a tad more reach with my 560 100-400 +1.4 combo, and the better focusing will help a lot during low light as I have found in some places the Mk iii does hunt, but thats only when very dark, and I'm very keen to see what its new dynamic range will offer along with a usable base ISO, 32k will come in very handy ....

But before that we need to see photos NOT sponsored by Canon - After watching Tony Northrup video thats the one I'm waiting to see

Comment

Working...
                                X