50mm f1.2L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

50mm f1.2L

I'm using the f1.4 50mm and I'm liking the fixed focal length and field of view, not to mention shallow DoF effects.
    Does anyone have experience of the f1.2L version....I know its expensive but is it much better...or can smoother backgrounds and subject contract be equally achieved in post processing?

_MG_9124.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr

_MG_9128.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Re: 50mm f1.2L

It is a very nice lens, and you seem to be having fun and turning out some nice images.
    Andy

Comment

I've not used it but from reading quite a lot of reviews I think the Sigma 50mm Art lens is meant to be optically as good, if not better for a lot less money. The only negatives appear to be weight - although that's compared to the 1.4 not so much the L and lack of weather sealing.
      TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

Thanks Wayne....I'd not considered that one...I normally end up selling on third party lenses for the eventual purchase of a Canon.....but the f1.2L is sooooo expensive Ill look at the Sigma....the Art ones are supposed to be premium quality I think.
        Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

As you look at the Arts Lenses watch out for your focus distance. I had purchased the Sigma 85mm Arts lens. A beautiful piece of glass, with great bokeh. The issue with that lens was it minimum distance that you could focus on. The minimum was 33.5 inches (85.09 cm). This may not seem bad at 1st, but if you want to go in for a tight shot, you could not get it to focus. Because of that, I sold the lens.

Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom....I've always had my eye on the 50 f1.2L....but not many seem to have it. I do like having a fixed prime and my favourite focal length is 50mm....I've seen people use 35mm but its a bit wide and distortion can be an issue. might sell my Fuji system (XPro1) while its still worth something and go all Canon except for the compact X70 to fund the 50L
            Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
              As you look at the Arts Lenses watch out for your focus distance. I had purchased the Sigma 85mm Arts lens. A beautiful piece of glass, with great bokeh. The issue with that lens was it minimum distance that you could focus on. The minimum was 33.5 inches (85.09 cm). This may not seem bad at 1st, but if you want to go in for a tight shot, you could not get it to focus. Because of that, I sold the lens.

Tom
              According to Sigma the 50 has a min focus of 40cm, the Canon L is 45cm.
              TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
                Thanks Wayne....I'd not considered that one...I normally end up selling on third party lenses for the eventual purchase of a Canon.....but the f1.2L is sooooo expensive Ill look at the Sigma....the Art ones are supposed to be premium quality I think.
                But the Sigma is 1.4 - which is what you are (potentially) looking to improve on.
                John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Originally posted by John Liddle View Post
                  But the Sigma is 1.4 - which is what you are (potentially) looking to improve on.
                  Maybe. But at 1.2 the dof will be uber narrow and is what 1/2 a stop? Apart from that every review I've read rates the Sigma above the L.

Comment

I've looked up the Art version and it seems to beat the Canon in sharpness, vignetting etc but not bokeh...I'm not concerned about improving on f1.4 as such because the dof is extremely narrow...but the wider they go means they remain that bit better when stopped down to f1.8. etc...which is more likely how they will be used. A head shot at 50mm needs about f2.8 to get sharpness from tip of nose to eye. Although the f1.2L is considered the best I'm not convinced the bookeh will be appreciably better...build quality and feel will be excellent along with some weather sealing. ill continue to ponder.....thanks again!
                    Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

IMHO the 50/1.2 has poor sharpness but lovely bokeh, so it depends what you want. I don't really rate any of the Canon 50mm lenses and am really hoping a new one is on the way :-)
                      View the image quality delivered by the Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Lens using ISO 12233 Resolution Chart lab test results. Compare the image quality of this lens with other lenses.

The 40 is nice though (and what I bought instead), provided you don't want more light than f2.8
                      View the image quality delivered by the Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Lens using ISO 12233 Resolution Chart lab test results. Compare the image quality of this lens with other lenses.

(Look at the edges!)

Comment

Thanks DrJon....I'd not considered the 40mm....what an amazing little lens...!
                        Looking at internet reviews I'm beginning to think I have the best Canon - the 1.4 version....its not as nice as an L in build obviously. Its bokeh is a bit bust but I've just seen a similar 'busy' effect on the photo zone review of the f1.2.

thanks for the references....maybe Ill wait for a new version .....but on Canon's current form they'll price it at +50% of the old model. Still tempted with a s/h copy of the f1.2 from mpb ..at £794.
                        Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Not sure i need an f1.2....these were taken at ISO3200....
                          50mm USM at f1.4
                          _MG_9545.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr
                          ...and at f2.8
                          _MG_9549.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr
                          Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

I nearly (should have) purchased the 50mm 1.2L at the Photography Show at the NEC in March earlier this year.

Great place to buy as Canon are usually running the Cashback deals and at the show the Canon dealers (Calumet, Cameraworld & London Camera Exchange) offer double Cashback.

At the time Canon were offering £250 Cashback so with the double Cashback offer the 50mm 1.2L was less than £750 if I remember correctly.

Problem is now I can't get my head round spending £750-850 for a second hand one!

I did buy a 5D MKIII the previous year with double Cashback so ended up paying @£1600 for a genuine UK model.

Hopefully the 2017 show will offer similar discounts and who knows by then Canon might just have released the oft rumoured MKII version of the 50mm 1.2L that no doubt will be more expensive than the current version.

-=Glyn=-

PS. It took you @90 seconds to change the aperture from 1.4 -> 2.8 between photos Brian? :)

Comment

Yes....thanks for this...I think I might go with the Jessops £995 offer.....I don't want to wait until March.

90 seconds...I was probably reviewing the first before taking the second....maybe Ill stop the watch next time!
                              Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Working...
                              X