Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Real EOS Newbie

Hi

I have only recently returned to photography after a huge break.

I used to own a Canon A1 many years ago which I brought secondhand along with range of accessories like data back, power winder, motor drive, various lenses but I only really played with it for a little while before other things took priority and I sold it all.

Now that I have retired I thought I would take it up again so I brought a Lumix G1 with two lenses off a local camera shop, I thought it was a really nice camera but far too small in the body for my hands! I always had a thing about owning another Canon so I sold the Lumix and brought myself a EOS 40D with a battery pack .... now this certainly fills my hand!

I will no doubt be placing a few queries soon as I have a couple of old Sigma lenses which don't seem to working right!

Cheers
    Gerry

Re: A Real EOS Newbie

Welcome to the Forum Gerry, ask away when you have a question. Someone can usually help out on here.
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Welcome to the Forum Gerry

Tom

Comment

Welcome to the forum
        Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Hi Gerry and welcome.

Bill.
          7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Welcome

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Comment

Welcome Gerry, ask away

Cheers,
              John

Comment

Welcome to the forum.
                There are plenty of members here with great knowledge who will be more than willing to help you.
                Andy

Comment

Hi, thank you for all your welcoming comments
                  I mentioned about my problem with the Sigma lenses in my intro so here goes!

I also brought an old EOS300 35mm camera which came with three Sigma lenses .... 21-35mm, 28-70mm and a 75-300mm .... as I was told they would fit the 40D. When I try the lenses on the 300 they work and autofocus no problem but when I fit them to the 40D they will all autofocus and let me take the first shot and then lock and it display the "ERR 1" message saying the contacts need cleaning, this I have done several times but it still happens ..... put the standard lens on .. no problem ..... put the Sigma's onto the 300 .... no problem.

Can anyone advise me what the problem might be, should I sell them or use them only for manual focus.

Comment

This is a common problem. I have old Sigma lenses which I used with film cameras, they worked with the D30 (that's D30, not 30D) but not with later digital bodies. There's nothing you can do about it I'm afraid, the lenses can't be made compatible with any recent DSLR. The "contacts need cleaning" message isn't what it seems, the camera simply can't communicate with these lenses. I don't think they'll work correctly even with manual focus.
                    EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Welcome to the forum Gerry, hope you like it here as if you stick around you will get great help and advice off all the members as we are all a great bunch.

Comment

Welcome Gerry, were a friendly bunch here and will all help if we can. One hopes you enjoy your new camera, they are a step up from the old A1 ( had one too, and still do )
                        Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Welcome Gerry, from a fellow 40D owner (although I now have a 5D3 as well).
                          John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Welcome Gerry ,yes your lenses will fit but unfortunately they can't work as the micro chips in them are out of date ,sigma can re-chip certain lenses but it's often cheaper to just buy new .your 40d is also old tech these days so be carefull as some of the latest stuff may also not be backwards compatible
                            It may well be cheaper long term to sell the lenses and put them towards a new lens ,the canon 55-250 is can be bought new for around £100 or so and shoots well above its price range
                            Last edited by the black fox; 30-08-2016, 08:54.

Comment

I thought I might add this bit as well. About a year ago I bought a 100-300mm Sigma lens in mint condition- actually more of a gift at the price I paid for it. I find that I get the same problem with this lens when attached to 100D- clean the contacts etc, but it doesn't cure the problem. Hence I don't use this lens at all but is just there in my wardrobe. I don't wish to sell it on Ebay in case buyers find fault with me- although the lens is MINT with a new UV filter attached.
                              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
                              X