My opinion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My opinion.

My concern is that this forum is becoming less welcoming to photographers who want to improve their photography while continuing to shoot JPEG files. I recall a thread a few months ago where a newcomer to EOS asked for advice about basic camera settings. He was told to forget about these and shoot RAW so that the image could be corrected in post-processing.

As I mentioned earlier, some photographers enjoy the challenge of perfecting their images using computer software. Others prefer the challenge of setting the camera to give an excellent JPEG image. It would be good if this forum could offer encouragement and advice to both groups.
    Robert
    robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Scott View Post
      My concern is that this forum is becoming less welcoming to photographers who want to improve their photography while continuing to shoot JPEG files. I recall a thread a few months ago where a newcomer to EOS asked for advice about basic camera settings. He was told to forget about these and shoot RAW so that the image could be corrected in post-processing.

As I mentioned earlier, some photographers enjoy the challenge of perfecting their images using computer software. Others prefer the challenge of setting the camera to give an excellent JPEG image. It would be good if this forum could offer encouragement and advice to both groups.
      Some very good points have been put across, but for me and only me. I am sticking to Jpeg for quite a while, as in my photography I don`t want my photos to POP in colour, as I would like to keep my shots with only a bit of editing, but that is for my choice only. I will Never tell anyone what they should shoot in, as it is their camera and how they want photos to look. On a good note about Jpeg, I saw a photo once and Thought WOW, got to be taken in Raw then edited, but the bloke said, No as it was taken with a Point and Shoot camera and in Jpeg. So my view on it is a Great shoot can be taken in not just Raw, but also in Jpeg too.
      Last edited by Dave61; 20-09-2016, 11:33.

Comment

I don't wish to get embroiled in this argument but thought I might say that I am very happy taking my pictures in Jpeg with the odd occasion when I revert to RAW/Jpeg for very special occasions. I am aware that I haven't fully explored the in camera facilities but I am learning these as I go along. I know that most members here prefer to take their pictures in RAW as it enables them to correct mistakes etc later on. My main reluctance to use RAW all the time is that the amount of time one has to spend on the computer processing the images. I am aware that there are many members here who have not processed their RAW images taken some 2-5 years ago; they have been pushed to one side whilst they continue to take more pictures as they go along. On the contrary to this, I can say that I don't have any unprocessed images at all. This is the main reason I don't devote my photography to taking pictures in RAW. Having said that, this is a free world (in the West atleast) and one can choose the way they wish to take their pictures- Raw or Jpeg or Raw/Jpeg.
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I shoot jpeg mostly as well.

Shooting Motor Sport as my main subject RAW hits the camera buffer too quickly even on my 1D mk4 and also the files are so big it's a pain when using a laptop with SSD hardrive as it soon runs out of space when on a weekend race meet ;)

Having said that, I take full advantage of the dual slots and shoot RAW to one and JPEG to the other when taking one off 'special photos' ......just in case

I say do whatever you feel comfortable with, both have their pros and cons
          Regards,

Jeff

Eos 1D x and Eos 1D mk4, EF 24-105L F4, EF 70-200L F2.8 mk2, EF 100L F2.8 macro, 1.4 and 2.0 mk3 converters, Sigma Art 12-24 F4, Sigma Art 85 F1.4 .....Pixapro GI01 speedlite, Citi 600 battery strobes and Pika200 battery strobes.

Comment

Originally posted by Coolcat View Post
            I say do whatever you feel comfortable with, both have their pros and cons
            Well Said Jeff!
            Garry Macdonald on Flickr
            Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Robert, point taken I shall go to the other forums now & drop my thread, I have learnt a lot & enjoyed the very constructive remarks that have been made, so glad I found the forum.

Comment

Hi Nat, I fully respect your measured approach....if I can offer just one point further and that is that I have many photos taken pre-2008 which were shot in jpeg that have blown highlights or other defects that I could have improved on now if only they'd been taken in RAW. So my point is that jpeg processing limits us to the best available technology of the time and denies us future opportunities with much improved software.
                Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

With the capacity of memory cards these days I'd always shoot both, jpegs for quick evaluation, RAW in case I want to work on some of them later. The exception might be if shooting high speed bursts where the buffer may fill too quickly, not something I really do. I suspect that taking a "pruning saw" to over-large collections would often be a good idea, I can't see the point of keeping any but the best.
                  EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Watched an interesting programme this morning about Mike Meyers Disfarmer. If you get a change watch it.
                    Its broadcast on PBS America, Lost Faces of America: Disfarmer.
                    Malcolm.
                    760D
                    EF 50mm f1.8,EF 28-135 IS USM,
                    Sigma 10-20 DC HSM,EFS 18-55 IS STM
                    EF 70-300 IS USM
                    Kenko Teleplus HD 1.4 DGX
                    YN685ll,YN568EXll,YN468,YN622TX and YN622TRX's.

Comment

having just returned from holiday in which i only took a compact camera hence had to shoot in j.peg and most were just scenes and family pics i have to say that both methods have there advantages .is there a major difference between j.peg and raw imho for general pics in good light no .
                      but if your shooting under adverse conditions and wish to display your image to a ever growing crowd of nit pickers then you need every tool in your box to gain that advantage .
                      at the end of the day its a personal choice ( except nat as i love winding him up) do what you feel comfortable with ,even j.peg images can be improved in lightroom ,if you look in the compact camera shots section theres a couple of j.pegs there that i have done just that with the one of the granddaughter in particular had 3 different people growing out of her left shoulder in the original ,and lots of teenage spots on her face ,all dealt with easily .so its really up to each and every one of us to do as we please .
                      and i don't think theres a single member on here that really looks down on any other member .help is always given freely and even sometimes wisely whether or not its of any use to the person asking the question is irrelevant its part of the learning curve

Comment

Brian,

I agree that RAW has got it's uses and I still use RAW/Jpeg for unrepeatable church pictures- to be on the safe side. However, to take all my pics in RAW/Jpeg is not to my liking as the buffers get filled up quickly and secondly,I do not,personally,want to spend too much time in front of my computer, processing photos. I also know that there are many members who have not yet processed all their RAW pictures taken many years ago and whilst putting these on the back burner, continue to take photos ad infinitum. In saying this, I am reminded of the time I used to video lots of TV programmes to view at a later date and never got round to look at many of them and in the end I had to delete quite alot,without watching them as the videoed list continued to "grow"! This is of course my personal view.

Re the blown pics you have mentioned, I don't know how much you can "save" them by taking the pics in RAW. I know that some correction can be made but not a lot. I know that noise can be corrected in RAW and this is one of the reason I use RAW/Jpeg for my church pics due to the low light problem.

Best wishes.

Nat

P.S:- I would like to add that although photography is my main interest I also have other interests like concerts,choral works, Instrumental music etc. These are perhaps the main reasons why I don't wish to spend too much time in front of a computer processing RAW images.
                        Last edited by Nathaniel; 23-09-2016, 07:56.
                        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy M View Post
                          Fun on the Dodgems.
                          IMG_8837 by David Miller, on Flickr

DaisyM, I like your dodgem shot, the plus points I see are the poles are vertical so it makes the eye see the image as being level, I also like the way you have got the whole scene lit, there is interest in the background and it shows it as being at the fair, but it does not detract nor drag ones eye away from the main point of interest, also the other two cars appear to lead the eye into the main subject, which is the people in the front car and the intense concentration on the young lads face as he goes to ram one, the only thing that detracts slightly is that you cannot see the person being rammed and that you have a single leg showing, ideally the leg could do with being slightly darker to sort of isolate it from the main subject, but in a way that does not matter as you it adds a little mystery to it all... all in all, in my eyes, well done.
                          Last edited by TonyT; 30-09-2016, 15:31.
                          Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Just a quick comment. I see photography as a highly personal, creative process. It doesn't matter a jot whether yo shoot on film, Jpeg, RAW or whther you do or don't process the image afterwards. The important thing is do you like the end result. There is this constant pressure for approval by your peers. Don't fall for it take and process your pictures to please yourself and not the world at large. Leave that to the professionals who have to do it to ear a crust.
                            Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SpringfieldPhoto View Post
                              Just a quick comment. I see photography as a highly personal, creative process. It doesn't matter a jot whether yo shoot on film, Jpeg, RAW or whther you do or don't process the image afterwards. The important thing is do you like the end result. There is this constant pressure for approval by your peers. Don't fall for it take and process your pictures to please yourself and not the world at large. Leave that to the professionals who have to do it to ear a crust.
                              Very well said! It is my one criticism of this Forum that there so many self appointed critics on here, who in the main are just expressing their personal views and prejudices, which may, or not, be correct and relevant. Fair enough if the original poster has asked for criticism, but not otherwise.
                              Quentin

Comment

Originally posted by Quentin View Post
                                Fair enough if the original poster has asked for criticism, but not otherwise.
                                Quentin
                                Why does anyone post a photograph on here? Surely it's to invite comments good and bad. if I submit a photo, I want people to say how they think it could be improved, although I might not agree with their comment.

John

Comment

Working...
                                X