Lens repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lens repair

Anyone have experience of sending lenses to Canon for repair?

Last week on holiday I had just reached the top of Mt Etna in Sicily via cable car and 4x4 when I tripped over a rock and fell over banging my head on another rock nearly knocking myself out. Smashed Lee polariser, step up ring and skylight filter which probably saved my 24-70 F2.8L from too much damage; filter thread will need replacing but otherwise appears to be ok. I even insisted on taking a couple of shots before seeing the doc & then driving myself to hospital to have cuts, bruises and dislocated finger seen too! Even gave me a brain scan .... apparently I do have one.

So I was wondering whether to get lens checked for de-centering too or if they'd do this as a matter of course or only if I specifically request it?

My 6D the lens was attached to seems ok too; I guess I'll ask if Canon want me to send the 6D in with the lens too.

All told, not a great day but could have been a lot worse; at least I'm here to tell the story ;)
    Les

Les Cornwell Photography

EOS R, EOS 6D MKII, EOS 100D, EOS50e, RF24-104 F4L, EF17-40 F4L, EF24-70 F2.8L II, EF70-200 F4L IS, EF100-400 F5.6L MKII, EF100 F2.8L IS, EF-S 18-135 STM, EF-S 18-55, GP-E2, 270EX, 430EX II, Kase & Lee filters.

Re: Lens repair

Just an option- there's a guy at Dale cameras in Leeds who does some work repairing lenses not sure how far away this shop is from you though.

Paul
    EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
    Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Les, first off I'm glad you survived the fall. I have only had to send one lens to Canon for repair and that was a warranty situation. Canon Elstree passed my lens on to Lehman's in Stoke to carry out the repair.
      There are a number of Canon authorised repair centres in the UK that would give you repair estimates. I would send the camera as well as the lens to have them check both as a matched pair so to speak.

Best Regards
      Peter
      Peter

Feel free to browse my
      Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

As above post ,gonna cost you though ,have you checked your house insurance to see if your covered ,you often are even abroad

Comment

Thanks chaps, yep we have travel insurance with our home insurance but I suspect that once excess is taken off it won't be worth claiming as they'll only hike up the premiums on renewal...
          Les

Les Cornwell Photography

EOS R, EOS 6D MKII, EOS 100D, EOS50e, RF24-104 F4L, EF17-40 F4L, EF24-70 F2.8L II, EF70-200 F4L IS, EF100-400 F5.6L MKII, EF100 F2.8L IS, EF-S 18-135 STM, EF-S 18-55, GP-E2, 270EX, 430EX II, Kase & Lee filters.

Comment

That surely depends on what a repair estimate comes in at

Comment

Fixation may be worth a look too...

Comment

Thanks chaps, I've emailed the Canon Service Centre to see what they suggest. As well as repair to the filter thread, one of the CPS options is a ‘Pro Service AF’ which includes lens & body checks which covers most things.

Interestingly, found the following review at LensRentals.com here: https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/201...70-f2-8-mk-ii/ which suggests "There are no adjustments on the front group. It’s permanently sealed in a heavy plastic mold that seats firmly into the lens mount. If this lens drops you might crack a filter ring, but I can’t imagine decentering the front element." Let's hope they're right!
                Les

Les Cornwell Photography

Comment

I've used Canon at Elstree a couple of times for repairs, they have been very helpful and efficient.
                  Andy

Comment

Working...
                  X