Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Online Backup taking 69 days!?! Is this normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Online Backup taking 69 days!?! Is this normal?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, feel free to move if necessary !

Knowing that HDDs have a limited lifespan, I have last night taken the plunge for online backup. After a lot of reading of reviews etc, I registered with Backblaze for a free trial. On starting I clicked on "How long will my backup take?" The first estimate was 138 days So, I did a speed check on my broadband. Download speed a respectable 56mb. Upload speed, 2.16mb. WHAAAT!! Not only that, but after an hour of use, continuous use, they reduce that by around 30%, then after 2 hours a further 20%. This is rediculous. So, in an effort to try and reduce the time, I opened up the bandwidth to full for backblaze to use, meaning that I can't really use my browser for anything else because all resources are going to my backup. I also took two of my hard drives out of the backup, so it's really just my onsite backup drive that is being backed up!

Have you any suggestions to try and speed things up? Is there a way to compress files to speed up uploading? Or, is this just the way it is? I know nothing about this stuff, so any help appreciated,

Cheers,

Garry
    Garry Macdonald on Flickr
    Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Re: Online Backup taking 69 days!?! Is this normal?

Most online backups are designed to be incremental / differential to minimise ongoing traffic but this does mean the initial backup "may take some time."

Are the speeds you quoted in mega bits or bytes? You may find your broadband connection is just not fast enough for online backup to be viable.

What is the approximate volume of data you are trying to upload?

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma View Post
      Most online backups are designed to be incremental / differential to minimise ongoing traffic but this does mean the initial backup "may take some time."

Are the speeds you quoted in mega bits or bytes? You may find your broadband connection is just not fast enough for online backup to be viable.

What is the approximate volume of data you are trying to upload?
      Thanks for the reply. It is a LOT of data, maybe about 1.1TB? As for the speeds, not sure, I think mega bits. Certainly the download speed is.

I realise that it is a huge amount of data initially, and a lot of this is likely bad housekeeping on my part with a lot of stuff that doesn't really need backing up. I may have to do a mass cull on files. The majority is photos though. About 20,000 images, most of which are in RAW. I guess, thinking about it, I could hold off on the music etc for now, and do that at a later stage. This is all a bit foreign to me!

Thanks again,

Garry

Comment

Your upload speed, important in this case, is low for the connection you mention I'd expect it to be more like 7-8meg at minimum.

Backing up that amount of data all in one go will take ages, get ready to make lots of cups of tea!
        Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
          Your upload speed, important in this case, is low for the connection you mention I'd expect it to be more like 7-8meg at minimum.

Backing up that amount of data all in one go will take ages, get ready to make lots of cups of tea!
          I know. Something that Virginmedia bury in their small print is the low upload speed. They sell you on the download first

Comment

You would be best doing your upload overnight when your connection isnt being used and pausing it during the day
            Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Originally posted by 2Beers View Post
              You would be best doing your upload overnight when your connection isnt being used and pausing it during the day
              I've just left it going all day and all night. No one uses it through the day anyway. And the speed is just the same. I'm thinking about starting again but this time being more selective about what I am backing up on initial upload.

Comment

I use a cloud back up service for all my images and other photography work I had done for others and all in it took about a week for the initial download which I did in "bite sized pieces". It was about 3 TB in total.
                When the incremental backups run now it takes about 10 minutes to 30 minutes max. The longer time when I have just downloaded a couple of hundred images onto my hard drives before a scheduled on line back up.
                David

Comment

...or you could just buy a 2TB USB3 drive, copy the files onto that and leave it with a handy sibling/etc?

Comment

I backed mine up to Amazon Prime, took about 5 days on & off to do 650+ GB. My broadband is about 18Mbps.

With Amazon Prime you get unlimited storage for photos and all the other benefits - free next day delivery, Amazon TV etc for £79 a year. Videos only 5GB but you can set up a flickr account for them ;) Or Amazon do an unlimited photos & video plan for £55 a year - there's a free 3 month trial too.

I also back mine up to two 2TB drives as Dr Jon suggests & leave one with a neighbour ...
                    Les

Les Cornwell Photography

EOS R, EOS 6D MKII, EOS 100D, EOS50e, RF24-104 F4L, EF17-40 F4L, EF24-70 F2.8L II, EF70-200 F4L IS, EF100-400 F5.6L MKII, EF100 F2.8L IS, EF-S 18-135 STM, EF-S 18-55, GP-E2, 270EX, 430EX II, Kase & Lee filters.

Comment

I thought I would remind members about the dangers of "on line backups" with the present furore about Pippa Middleton's photographs being hacked into. I back up and prefer to back up on to another hard drive and am happy to do this.
                      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Thanks all for the input. I appreciate the advice re offsite hard drives etc, but, I've had so many people say that it is only a matter of time before a HDD fails, the only way is online. Since buying my HDDs, I have read that the ones I have bought are amongst the most likely to fail as well I thought through research that Seagate and Samsung were good makes, but apparently not so. That said, I am tempted to just buy a Toshiba or Western Digital and be done with it.

Comment

I back up to a Seagate external hard drive about once a month. Just to be on the safe side I also ensure I have a few photo prints of some of my pictures and that is good enough for me.
                          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Having something off site would be ideal but as you've found the initial setup is quite protracted.

Really puzzled by the doom and gloom about HD longevity. Only ever had one HD fail at home and when I use to work in IT with several hundred devices if we had one a year fail then that was as bad as it ever got.

If your happy to store at home, which I am. Then one of two options a NAS box, likely to be a bit more expensive than the second option. I'm assuming a desktop here, get 2 external HD's use one to store the images and using free software back this up to the second. You'd be exceptionally unlucky for 2 drives to fail at the same time. I back up every day, its automated and incremental so no intervention needed by me.

If I'm leaving the house for a reasonable period (days) I unplug one drive and leave with a relative who lives close buy. Just being paranoid about fire or break in!
                            Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

6 bay QNAPP NAS box with 4 Western Digital Red 3 Tb drives, 2 unused bays for future use if needed, maybe for streaming movies or used remotely by daughter at Uni for her Uni work . RAID 1 and auto backup. Full personal Cloud. One drive off site.

This will do until SSD's get to a sensible price. SSD's = no moving parts but that is not to say they cannot go unserviceable.

Currently use Just Cloud until contract runs out then all fully on the QNAPP NAS.
                              David

Comment

Working...
                              X