Does any one use a Tamron 10-24mm f3.5-4.5 Di II LD AF SP Lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does any one use a Tamron 10-24mm f3.5-4.5 Di II LD AF SP Lens

Does anyone have this lens? I read mixed reviews, mostly good though. I am unsure though of whether I can use it on both my cameras. I have a crop and full frame. I believe this is intended for a crop sensor, but I read that it could be used with a full frame, although there will be a noticeable vignette.

Any input?

Thanks,

Garry
    Garry Macdonald on Flickr
    Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Re: Does any one use a Tamron 10-24mm f3.5-4.5 Di II LD AF SP Lens

I should imagine that the amount of vignetting would be so great that only the central part of the image would be useable, hence totally negating the reason for using a wide angle lens in the first place.
    EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

I can't answer the specific question but... I bought a Tokina 11-16 as it is red spotted so physically compatible with my intended purchase of a FF body. While it was reported as having heavy vignetting at 11mm on FF I still saw the non-vignetted 16mm end very useful on a FF making it suitable as a WA lens on both crop and FF bodies.

Even if the 10-24 does vignette badly at the 10mm end on FF, the 24 end would still usefully fill a gap in your lens collection but whether 24mm would be wide enough is doubtful so where in the zoom range the vignetting comes in is probably the deciding point.

Maybe visit a shop and try one on your FF body?

Cheers,
      John

Comment

Thanks guys for your input. I am looking for a landscape lens and just saw a few of these on ebay at reasonable prices, so thought I would see what the consensus was. I couldn't work out what the coding on Tamron and Sigma lenses was regarding crop and full frame. Guess what, their website tells you. Who would've thought

Thanks again,

Garry
        Garry Macdonald on Flickr
        Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

I have one of these and as you have probably gathered by now Di II means crop frame. I've never tried it on a 35mm format body but it's likely to be similar to my 10-20 Sigma which vignettes at all focal lengths and all apertures - the smaller the aperture the worse it is.

Optically I have no gripes with mine - I'm happy with what it can do...
          Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

When this lens first arrived it came top in a group test. A couple of months later, in the same magazine it came bottom. When I questioned said magazine they said that the one in the second test was a different sample and didn't come up to scratch. So I would think that (lack of ) quality control is to blame and if it was me I'd steer well clear.
            I'm probably now going to get people crying out " I have one and it's great" I have no doubt but I wouldn't want to take the " lottery"

Comment

Originally posted by collywobbles View Post
              I'm probably now going to get people crying out " I have one and it's great" I have no doubt but I wouldn't want to take the " lottery"
              This lens is still in production after many years which rather suggests that all those who say 'it's great' may have a point. If it was a bad, optically or QC wise, as you believe I rather imagine it would have been revamped long before now.

As I said I have no gripes with mine. Optically is it as good as the 16-35mm f4 L? Probably not but then it isn't the same price either...
              Last edited by El Sid; 28-09-2016, 17:40.
              Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Working...
              X