I would like to learn about noise reduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would like to learn about noise reduction

I have photoshop Elements , which I do most of my enhancements on , there are a few noise reduction plug ins available , Neat image seems a popular example , but how do I use them , and are the free versions enough or do you really need to spend out on the pro versions ? Once I have down loaded one of them what do I do with it ? Just looking for some easy to understand advice if anyone can offer it please .

Re: I would like to learn about noise reduction

Depending on which version of elements you use ,you will need one that supports layering of the image as with wildlife (which
    I think you want it for) you only apply noise reduction to the background layer ,once applied you then also apply sharpening to the subject matter ,bird or animal .
    So to start which elements do you use

Comment

DFine (free NIK filter/plugin) does a great job ... but re-reading ... these are not for PS Elements, only fore Lightroom and Photoshop

Sorry, but maybe a suggestion for LR en PS users
      Grtz, Wil

https://www.flickr.com/photos/whgmwouters/albums
      https://wilwouters.weebly.com

Comment

You can use the NIK set as a standalone, you can also use the Neat Ideas as a stand alone, I use Neat Image, basically I do all the tweaking and editing I want in Lightroom then save the image and open it in Neat Image and run it through that, It is simple to use. there are free trials of it.
        Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

i also have nik efex installed ,with imageonic as my n/r plug in

Comment

The free to download Nik collection plugin works fine in PS Elements.(though i am using version 13)
            Just use the Dfine 2 tool on the image to clean things up.

Paul
            EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
            Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Thanks for all the responses , I have elements 10 , which does have layering options , and it opens raw files for my 5Dmklll so need to upgrade it really ? Yes most my stuff is wildlife related . Please continue with the advice
              Last edited by Lepus; 28-09-2016, 13:48.

Comment

see

I do it at the very end when I have saved the image as a JPEG.
                Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

http://www.google.com/nikcollection/

Above is the Nik software link which i think is still free.

Then all you have to do is load your image then click on the Dfine 2 once its done its thing (a few seconds)just click OK.

If image is a little soft click on the output Sharpener to bring back the sharpness.

Have a play but please go online to see some tutorials to get the very best out of this useful software package.

Paul
                  EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.

Comment

Sorry clashing with TonyT

But have a play with both and see what you prefer

Comment

o.k you should get something from that to play with ,the idea is that you use your magic wand to draw a outline around the bird ,then from the drop down menu (right click) click on "select inverse" ,then from your drop down filters menus select the n/r you wish to use and apply it you should see just the background layer the subject will be whited out,once thats done right click and from drop down menu you want 'layer via copy" right click and it will join both layers back together again .then resize the image i find 1024 pixels is best for flickr as it stops them altering it .
                      all thats left is for you to apply copyright info if applicable ,in your drop down filters select sharpening option (not sure how this works in elements) then re-name file and change it to j.peg .
                      hope this helps failing that pop up for a hands on day of pics and p/p lessons

Comment

Have looked at a few videos , I don`t follow those to well to be honest , it`s why I asked for help here . Is there much difference between the different software ? Did you buy the full versions or just use the free stuff ?

Comment

I use Nik Dfine as a plug in to PSE 11. Easy to use, though my flow is slightly different to Black Fox. Not saying mine is better, but for your info: I do my normal editing, then click on Dfine to do the noise reduction across the whole image. When I ok it, it creates a new layer at the top of the stack. I then add a mask which I fill with black (to stop it being visible). Then select the areas I want the noise reduction applied to, and fill these with white in the mask so they show through. Then I merge the layers and finish off processing as normal. Hope that makes some sort of sense.
                          Canon EOS 7D
                          EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                          Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                          flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

I would like to keep this thread lively , but I have limited time , when I have time to download something I will be back , is anyone using Noise Ninja ?

Comment

Working...
                            X