At Cafe Roma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At Cafe Roma

Which disappointingly is in St Albans rather than Roma...

Evi by Richard Anderson, on Flickr

I don't often do B&W portraits, but thought I would give it a go. So very open to comments (as always I hope!) on this photograph...

Best

Richard
    Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Re: At Cafe Roma

I'm no expert on this genre either Richard but that looks rather good or me. Good overall tones in the mono. One slight point to make, it's a shame your good ladies hair is just brushing over the eye
    Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Originally posted by Parsen66 View Post
      I'm no expert on this genre either Richard but that looks rather good or me. Good overall tones in the mono. One slight point to make, it's a shame your good ladies hair is just brushing over the eye
      Thanks Alan - I will make a point of telling her that her grooming is not good enough next time - or maybe not Actually, it wasn't until I processed it that I even noticed it and I certainly didn't feel like cloning it out!!!

Comment

Nice capture Richard but personally I would have liked both eyes in focus. I looked at it on Flickr and saw the lens you used 85mm f/1.2L. I was chatting to a photographer at Southwold recently when he was doing some LE shots of the pier. He said he owned one of those and was singing it's virtues for portraits. He said he liked it for wedding photos in the church using natural light but also said he often end up deleting a lot of shots due to the limited DOF.
        - Tony

6D Mk II, 17-40 F4/L 4 USM, 24-105 F4/L 4 IS USM

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Comment

I like this shot......I couldn't fault it until both eyes not in focus was pointed out by Tony.
          I think its fairly normal for only one eye in focus in a sideways pose, but I can't get past it now its been pointed out.
          Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Hawkins View Post
            Nice capture Richard but personally I would have liked both eyes in focus. I looked at it on Flickr and saw the lens you used 85mm f/1.2L. I was chatting to a photographer at Southwold recently when he was doing some LE shots of the pier. He said he owned one of those and was singing it's virtues for portraits. He said he liked it for wedding photos in the church using natural light but also said he often end up deleting a lot of shots due to the limited DOF.
            I also delete a fair few. Perhaps the DPAF Raw on the 5Div would be just enough to correct some of them which are only out infinitesimally, but enough to be annoying when you have some bang in focus.

I know what you are saying about the two eye focus thing. I was torn because: (a) I love the narrow DoF when it works; (b) I definitely wanted the background oof, and you must admit the bokeh is dreamy on this lens (especially if you look at the colour version on Flickr:

Evi by Richard Anderson, on Flickr

but then (c) I knew I couldn't also have both eyes in focus. I would like to think I have followed an "artistic" approach. Anyway, those are the reasons that I did it as you see it... With this lens the only chance you have of having both eyes in focus is if the victim (sorry, subject) is looking straight at you:

2Y2A3300.jpg by Richard Anderson, on Flickr

But I didn't like the smile so much on this one...

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
              I like this shot......I couldn't fault it until both eyes not in focus was pointed out by Tony.
              I think its fairly normal for only one eye in focus in a sideways pose, but I can't get past it now its been pointed out.
              Ha! The power of suggestion!!! At f1.2, and that close up, the DoF is wafer thin...

Comment

It's still a great portrait Richard - it's purely a personal thing re the two eyes and the DOF but I can imagine it's very tough to achieve with that lens. Colour version is good too.
                - Tony

6D Mk II, 17-40 F4/L 4 USM, 24-105 F4/L 4 IS USM

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Hawkins View Post
                  It's still a great portrait Richard - it's purely a personal thing re the two eyes and the DOF but I can imagine it's very tough to achieve with that lens. Colour version is good too.
                  Thanks!

Comment

Lovely portrait Richard. Works very well in BW

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by rcarca View Post
                      Thanks Alan - I will make a point of telling her that her grooming is not good enough next time - or maybe not Actually, it wasn't until I processed it that I even noticed it and I certainly didn't feel like cloning it out!!!
                      Please don't tell you boss that I even mentioned her hair
                      Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Nice work, funny how some photos work so well in B&W

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X