Photo Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photo Repair

I can't really link this post to EOS system in any way, although it was a Canon scanner I used.!? I also thought I may get away with posting it under the software heading, as it is the software I use for my EOS images. If necessary, I will understand if it is removed. That said, I wanted to post a little bit of what I have been working on recently. My Mam turned 70 this year, and she asked me to scan some images for her. While doing this, I thought I would have a go at repairing some of them.

This one was one of the worst as far as physical damage. The original image is about 4"x3". It is about 67years old, so is in remarkably good condition really. This is one of her favourite pictures, and I managed to get it up to A4 size printed, so was quite chuffed with it. She was delighted

Before & After by Garry Macdonald, on Flickr

I am still working on this one. It is the only photo taken of my mother being held by her mother. She died when my Mam was only 18mths old

Mam with her Mam and Dad B&A by Garry Macdonald, on Flickr

I want to try and make this one better.

Editing and scanning these images has been an emotional roller coaster, but thoroughly rewarding at the same time.

If this is left up, I would love to hear what you think so far,

Thanks,

Garry
    Garry Macdonald on Flickr
    Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Re: Photo Repair

I don't think anyone will have an issue with you posting these images, Garry. It is fascinating to see what you have been able to do with the original images. It also raises an interesting question. Will we still be able to process the digital files we take today in 70 years time? Should we be printing some of our family pictures to ensure they are available to future generations?
    Robert
    robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Done something similar myself with family photographs so appreciate the work you've put in here.

Look good to me.
      Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

I hope they will be left on the forum as an inspiration to others regarding restoration. Technically I think you have done an excellent job. Emotionally I can only begin to imagine your mother's feelings when you showed them to her.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Scott View Post
          I don't think anyone will have an issue with you posting these images, Garry. It is fascinating to see what you have been able to do with the original images. It also raises an interesting question. Will we still be able to process the digital files we take today in 70 years time? Should we be printing some of our family pictures to ensure they are available to future generations?
          Thanks Robert, much appreciated. It does raise many such questions. That was part of the thinking behind DNG I believe, to try and future proof images for generations to come. I certainly don't have the answer! I do know that I will be printing more images of our family from now on, for this very reason.

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
            Done something similar myself with family photographs so appreciate the work you've put in here.

Look good to me.
            Originally posted by Enigma View Post
            I hope they will be left on the forum as an inspiration to others regarding restoration. Technically I think you have done an excellent job. Emotionally I can only begin to imagine your mother's feelings when you showed them to her.
            Thanks guys, that's encouraging! Sometimes you get so bogged down in something like this, you miss how far you've come with it.

Thanks again,

Garry

Comment

A very worthwhile project and very nicely worked so far

I repaired some images for an 80 year old neighbour that dated back to when he was an apprentice fitter at Kings Cross Locomotive Shed and he was so pleased with the results. I'm now starting to scan our family archive and it really is a task!

Robert is quite correct in that our file formats and storage medium probably won't be compatible with whatever the technology in 70 years will be so we ought to be making plans now but I can't say I fancy printing the 40,000 digital images I have.

Cheers,
              John

Comment

Thanks John. It is worthwhile indeed. I am enjoying it, but I couldn't do it as a job I don't think.
                40,000 would be quite an undertaking! I've got about 15,000, not that future generations would want to see most of them mind you

Comment

That's a pretty good repair job on those two.

<thinks> Are you any good at DIY too? I have a couple of jobs need doing....
                  Chris
                  80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Thanks Chris

I am a trained joiner/carpenter to trade....!

Comment

Good job, I find this type of project very satisfying although time consuming

John

Comment

Originally posted by digiman View Post
                        Thanks Chris

I am a trained joiner/carpenter to trade....!
                        Then it's lucky for you that you're so far away!
                        Chris
                        80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Originally posted by John27 View Post
                          Good job, I find this type of project very satisfying although time consuming

John
                          Definitely need a lot of time to sit down and do these, and know when to stop! But, as you say, very satisfying.

Thanks for commenting,

Garry

Comment

Really weird I was actually talking about this today before reading this thread ,deja.vu

Comment

Excellent repair job Garry. I too have "repaired" some old photos very successfully by scanning it on to the computer and then using PSE to adjust and repair as best as possible.

With regard to longevity, I make prints some of my photos for my coffee table albumn which is an insurance for me, despite saving my files on an external hard drive.
                              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
                              X