by by hoopoe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

by by hoopoe

it seems that north wales wasn't the best place for the conway hoopoe to take a holiday ,as it was killed by a peregrine this afternoon according to reports on faceberk .
    i was hoping to get there for it but its saved me a few bobs worth of diesel now

Re: by by hoopoe

That is sad if it turns out to be true, had a look on the web and thought what a beautiful looking bird.

Comment

As birds go they're not exactly well camouflaged or fast fliers, must have been an easy target.
      EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Apparently at 4.30 p.m today a peregrine was hunting in front of the visitor centre ,the hoopoe took fright and flew up into its claws .i think someone is going to post pics after ,I will link if they do

Comment

I was there this afternoon and did see the Hoopoe through the help of a kindly birder's scope. I was also aware of the Peregrine that was after it but it was OK. up till 3.30pm when I left the RSPB centre. I was told that the Peregrine made an attempt this morning but was unsuccessful!

I will be very sorry if this story is true, having seen the bird today.
          Last edited by Nathaniel; 26-10-2016, 18:56.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

To many confirmations for it to be a hoax ,but then again you never know

Comment

oh oh its true,just seen a series of shots of its demise ,heres the relevant one sorry about the quality
              Attached Files

Comment

Sad to see, but have to sadly say that`s nature for you

Comment

Yes, sad to see this. I can recognise the stripes of the Hoopoe having actually seen the bird.

Having said that I note that the Conwy RSPB is attracting quite a lot of rather rare birds,after all the dredging and extensive work that has been done at the reserve such as the Pectoral Sandpiper, 6 Great white Egrets (often chased away by Magpies & Herons),for examples. This also bringing quite a lot of birders,twitchers, big lenses and of course tripods.
                  Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

I think your going to have to tell them they need bigger hides nat ,LOL

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                      I think your going to have to tell them they need bigger hides nat ,LOL
                      Agree that the first hide after the "lookout" needs to be bigger.

Comment

In total honesty nat every hide and viewpoint at Conway bar the one on the estuary is totally useless for photography as they all face into the sun ,it's unfortunately the case with most reserves they were built for birdwatchers rather than with photographers in mind and most pre.date the incredible interest in wildlife photography in the last few years .
                        One of the reasons I prefer to wander or to go to places I can use the car as a portable hide

Comment

You are quite right there. The hide on the estuary is a bit too far for me to walk but I think I must take roost there.

Comment

Working...
                          X