The case for processing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The case for processing?

This is the lovely Museum of Witchcraft and Magic in Boscastle. A nice (direct upload) picture spoiled by an ugly car parked outside:

IMG_1503.jpg

Into PS and a few seconds (two passes) using the Content Aware Fill Tool and the car is gone (like magic?):

IMG_1503-Edit-Edit by John Leah, on Flickr

I frequently use Content Aware Fills to tidy up the boundaries of the stitches I do but even that experience didn't prepare my for how quickly that car 'disappeared'.

Oh, I also extended the canvas at the top a touch as it was too tight out of the camera

Cheers,
    John

Re: The case for processing?

Nice bit of work

Comment

Wow...that is amazing John, I wasn't aware of this tool, I must have a go.
      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Nicely done ,bet you really just moved your car .LOL ,seriously impressive work and makes a valid point

Comment

Nice example, John. What is interesting to me is that it made me think about why I would want to remove the car. And when I look at the first my eye goes to the white MWM sign and from there it jumps straight to the car. In the second my eye goes naturally to the statue of the witch, which I hadn't even noticed in the first. So definitely worth the effort in my eyes, even though it has resulted in a bit of 'non reality' landscaping (i.e. the appearance of a load of bushes in the parking space).
          Canon EOS 7D
          EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
          Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
          flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Nice work John

Tom

Comment

Thanks folks

Cheers,
              John

Comment

Well done! I've just started doing a bit of cloning out in DPP (I haven't tried PS or LR yet) and I'm fairly sure it wouldn't be as accomplished as that.
                Chris
                80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Thanks Chris

There's actually more skill called for when using the clone stamp (in either DPP or PS) as the source area has to be chosen manually while the Content Aware Fill in PS automatically searches the image for what it thinks is a good match. Occasionally it does produce some bizarre results (which can often be fixed with a small supplementary fill) but usually gets it right. LR has it's 'Spot Removal' tool but I've found its use limited as the resultant 'spots' tend to be too visible.

Cheers,
                  John

Comment

Good example! Also some other work on v2 which works well.
                    Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

Thanks Richard

Yes v1 was straight OOC while v2 I had adjusted the highlights and shadows plus, as said, extended the canvas a bit.

Cheers,
                      John

Comment

It`s not for me , but it really is quite amazing what you can do with a bit of know how , very impressive work from you .

Comment

Working...
                        X