Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firmware updates for cameras- is it a MUST for the cameras?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firmware updates for cameras- is it a MUST for the cameras?

I see quite a lot of comments/news about firmware updates and I wonder whether these updates are(a) necessary (b) whether they can mess up your camera settings in anyway?
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Firmware updates for cameras- is it a MUST for the cameras?

Incorrect application of the update might mess up the camera but if you follow the install instructions then there isn't a problem. These updates are really easy to do and usually they are done to correct a known issue.
    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Just seen you mention camera settings, can't tell you if that's the case as the updates I've applied were when I had just purchased a camera. i.e. just upated my 7D2 to 1.1.0
      Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

In general I would suggest you always apply the latest available firmware revision. These can be released for a variety of reasons:

1) to fix known problems - such as image banding
        2) to quietly fix problems which Canon is aware of internally
        3) to support new functionality - for example the new WiFi card for the 5DS(R) will require a firmware update

If the installation fails then you are probably looking at a dead camera which will need to be returned to Canon to get reflashed. The golden rules are always use a fully charged battery and never touch the camera once the update has started. Personally I have never heard of a firmware failure.

A firmware update should never alter camera settings. If settings are going to change then that should be clearly stated in the release notes.

Unless you are having a problem then you don't have to install firmware updates - your camera will not suddenly stop working. However, my advice would be to update - although perhaps not while on a lifetime trip or immediately before a critical shoot.

Comment

Thanks folks for your comments to date. Thought I might mention that I have not updated any of my cameras- models I have had over the years including my current models,as I have not had any known problems. They are all functioning very well and I hope to keep them that way. I hope I am not missing out on anything by NOT updating.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

The 7D had a major firmware update three years after it came out. From DPReview: "Canon has announced a firmware update that will add a series of features to the EOS 7D. In an unusual move for a camera that has been on the market for almost three years, Canon is performing the most comprehensive firmware upgrade we can remember. This includes improved continuous-shooting buffer depth (to 25 Raws, up from the original 15), customizable Auto ISO, control of audio recording level for video and the ability to re-process Raws and rate images in-camera. The update will also enable the use of the GP-E2 GPS module. It will be available from August 2012."

I think it's definitely worth keeping an eye on them.
            EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

To be honest Nat there are often also updates that add new languages and correct spelling mistakes. The 7D (which you don't own) update was big. So you won't often miss much. But sometimes there is a bug and it is worth getting rid of those. In fact it is pretty easy to update them. So bottom line - don't worry too much either way!
              Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

The latest version for the 6D is 1.1.7 and this, and earlier versions, cumulatively fix a number of issues. There are also the various language updates which Richard mentioned. If your 6D is presently lower than 1.1.3 then it may be subject to a date/time bug which was fixed in 1.1.3.

It's entirely your call - I always update (cameras, computers, phones, tablets, software) - if I had a 6D then it would have 1.1.7. Your 6D probably doesn't have 1.1.7 and you're obviously achieving satisfactory results so I'm definitely not going to tell you that you must upgrade.

Note that 1.1.7 appears to be an update which will change one user setting back to default because it fixes a problem when using the 70-300 II lens.

Comment

Thanks Richard and Enigma. My date/time set up works very well for both the 6d & 760D. No problem. At the moment both cameras are performing very well,esp the 6D with my low light pictures, and I am often reluctant to change anything,as long as it is working fine. Of couse I update my computer,antivirus etc.

Comment

It`s really not that hard Nat , I updated my 5D mklll for the first time this month , I was wary as I had not done it before , but it all went well and I am glad I took the plunge and done it .

Comment

Thanks Mark.

Comment

The main thing when you update firmware is to ensure the battery is fully charged as if it gives out in mid stream, that's when you could have a problem
                        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                        flickr

Comment

Thanks Stan. Point noted and taken.

Comment

Working...
                          X